Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
To the back of the bus!

One of the main parameters of building "Sped" was it was gonna be the race car tow vehicle. It was a big leap for me to finally break down + have to TOW a trailer. ( I have a dislike for them -in 25 years of going to 100's of races-EVERY trip I see at least one broken down along side of the road. ) But I still needed a work place at the races. The old van had 5 ft living area + 9ft shop/ car storage-now momma get all the front and I get 53". This weekend I had to get it done pronto. So quick + dirty it was.

The old+ the new-20 years of good service -and 8mpg

Simple luan for walls-sheet metal screws attaching.

The brackets are are welded into the side frame work-also 5 1/4"x20 weldments across the top row to hold up the cabinets. I bet I had 150 lbs in each in the old van-its amazing the never fell off the wall.

I wasn't even really planning on painting right now-but i happened to find a can of paint from the last vans interior-that hadn't hardened in 10 years Good Karma. Good enuff for the shop at least.

I used plastic "bathroom surround" for the ceiling. It has a nice pebbly finsh +is shiney. It bends to the curved roof perfect. I had saved a bunch of the trim strips when I tore apart the bus. They came in handy.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: To the back of the bus!

The plastic even was able to make the tight bend for the sides.

The cabinets. Ok-I admit it-I went thru alot of work to save a bunch of stickers.

More recycling-this was the rubber strip running down the middle of the bus. I was able to get 3/4 across-the tire rack will end up covering the bare spot.

Tool box mounted. Now its time to figure out wheres the best place for the jack-air can-gas can-shocks--etc etc etc.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote