Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I just went to your website. I am going to look at the water storage part. Thanks

Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I bought a rear passenger seat from a Sprinter van on eBay for $150, with about the same cost for delivery.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3 diesel
You guys are amazing! I wasn't getting updates sent to my email for some reason, so I didn't realize so many helpful comments had been added.

I've been slowly getting all the stickers, reflective tape, and adhesive off. I'm almost done and just need to finish the huge front and back "SCHOOL BUS" stickers.

A friend came over and pulled off the stop sign and the extending arm from the bumper.

I transferred the title, kept the current registration, and insured the bus.

Next, I'm going to take it to a mechanic for a good once-over and hopefully to have him remove the heater box for me. I want to get a cost estimate on the few things I know need to be done (and any that will come as a surprise) and then figure out where to fit those repairs into my schedule.

Next, I was going to strip the walls and ceiling and then re-insulate after I finalize where all the furniture and appliances are going to go.

Now some questions!

+ It's legal to drive the bus when it's yellow in Oregon. However, I see painting it as a big, psychologically helpful step. I was going to wait until I knew what modifications I'd be making to the outside, i.e. skinning, adding storage boxes. Does it make the most sense to wait even though I'd love to get that step done?

+ I'm also trying to identify the appliances I'll buy so I can figure out my solar/generator/propane needs. Does anyone see any issues with this? The Energy Guide label says 338 kWh/year. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-5...51SS/306287250

I'm still struggling to understand the relationship between volts and amps and solar and batteries, etc, etc. Luckily I have a resource who's willing to come help me install what I need and who seems to know more than I do.

+ Silly question - once the heater box is removed and the lines are rerouted, where should they be routed to and why?

Great recommendation on getting a second seat in there ASAP. I actually want to remove the driver's seat and replace that, too.

+ Would a bench seat or dual passenger seat possibly be a better use of space? It sure looks like it, but is it legal/safe to use something marketed as a passenger seat as a driver's seat? Like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Transi...cDZc4#viTabs_0

Thanks a million for how welcoming and eager to help you've all been!
WanderlustLessons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
I agree that "However, I see painting it as a big, psychologically helpful step. " - I really don't want a big yellow bus parked in my yard - it already looks too hillbilly here for my liking - my plan is to prep the outside of the bus for painting as my first step of the conversion, no matter what might need to be changed as the build goes on, and prime it with the primer tinted 'toward' the finished colours - with the bus looking nice, I know that my helpers and I will be more motivated to finish the conversion asap - - examples -: years ago I painted the interior of a dealership's garage with a vinyl paint that not only brightened up the work area, but was so easy to clean that even black grease could be wiped off using just a rag - the owner told me later when I was doing some more work for him, that because the shop was so bright and clean, production had almost doubled, and the cleaning staff were taking more pride in their job - another job, the exterior of a small 3-4 story hotel - I was told by the owner after I had painted and added graphics, that the RESTAURANT inside the hotel doubled it's business the next week - everyone feels better when things look good ( says me sitting in a house that is badly in need of many upgrades, but that's another story - lol )
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Finally have a couple posts up on my blog!

Browse some more photos and see the progress we're making.

https://wanderlustlessons.com/catego...l-bus-skoolie/
Old 05-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Sara, just went through the beginnings of your blog. Harpa is going to take you on many adventures!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much! Any plan to go to the Bus Fair in Oakridge in a couple weeks? I finally bought a ticket and now I absolutely can't wait.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustLessons View Post
Thanks so much! Any plan to go to the Bus Fair in Oakridge in a couple weeks? I finally bought a ticket and now I absolutely can't wait.
I wish.... I am actually going out of town for work for 45 days. I will miss it. Please let us know all about it!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Chevrolet Mid Bus
Chassis: G 31
Engine: V8
Rated Cap: 23
Why should you remove the heater?
The bus stops here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by The bus stops here View Post
Why should you remove the heater?
They are big and bulky and take up valuable build space. They have 1" coolant hoses running from the engine to the back heater and back to the front. They only work when engine is running, so no heat when parked. The lines can be cut short just in front of where they enter the cab and looped off. Some buses have shut off valve that you can just shut that section down. We add more efficient space saving heating systems for when parked. Keep the front cab heater attached as it provides heat to the driver and defrost to the windshield while driving
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I opted to leave mine in place.
Solo unit, 3/4s of the way back, driver's side.
When I got TF outta NH a couple Novs ago, there were blizzards and generally coolish temps to contend with en route to Tejas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
They are big and bulky and take up valuable build space. They have 1" coolant hoses running from the engine to the back heater and back to the front. They only work when engine is running, so no heat when parked. The lines can be cut short just in front of where they enter the cab and looped off. Some buses have shut off valve that you can just shut that section down. We add more efficient space saving heating systems for when parked. Keep the front cab heater attached as it provides heat to the driver and defrost to the windshield while driving
Pretty much useless ATM.
Since my power curve is likewise useless, I'm leaving it as an alternative option to cooling my mill.
Don't care if it's heating the dunny. I'll be driving...
And isn't that why God created AZ Ice Tea jugs?
(Properly and sanitarily decanted, natch)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Chevrolet Mid Bus
Chassis: G 31
Engine: V8
Rated Cap: 23
Thanks. Since I am mainly doing summer camping and don't know how to put in another heater I think I will leave it in for now, but will keep that in mind.
The bus stops here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Just dropped Harpa off at the mechanic on Sunday. It was my first time driving her and it went really well - but I did fully realize I'll need to install a backup camera.

She'll get the heater box removed, e-brake cable replaced, check engine light and non-functioning AC diagnosed, and a comprehensive once-over. Hopefully no surprises there.

I'll have her parked there for a couple weeks and when I get her back it'll be time to start on wall and ceiling panel removal, finally. Hopefully no surprises there either.

An artist friend of mine is making a custom mosaic piece with the bus name. It'll hang inside the bus in the front. Can't wait to see what she comes up with!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Re: Floor plan

Since space is at a premium in a shorty, you may want to try to get as much use out of the space where the bed is located. Here are three possibilities I can think of:

- Build the bed fairly high and use the volume underneath for storage.

- Construct the bed platform so that it can be hoisted under the ceiling. My brother did this in his Sprinter. During the day the bed is up under the roof with pillows, blankets, etc. securely squished between mattress and roof. At night, he lowers the bed over his dinette.

- Build a dinette that can be converts into a bed. Disadvantage is that pillows, blankets, etc. have to be stored somewhere to use the dinette. Also, the mattress is not going to be one single piece.

Despite the disadvantages of a convertible dinette I am going that route with my boxtruck since my entire rear wall will fold down like a toyhauler ramp to create a porch. Right in front of it is obviously the prime spot for the dinette. I will also mount the dinette on a base that can be rolled forward and secured there if I need more cargo space as show in the last version of my floor plan (Scale = 6"/square).
Attached Thumbnails
20190405_204233s.jpg  
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote