Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Trade my Tinted Windows for your non-tinted windows

Hi There!

Do you want to exchange your non-tinted glass for tinted?

I have a 1998 bluebird short bus (26'), and it has high quality tinted windows.

Because I am using my bus as an art studio, I need all the natural light I can get and so need untainted windows. Because these are the good kind, I can't just peel the tinting off, and have to replace the glass.

I know a lot of people prefer tinted windows for their conversions, and am just wondering if anyone out there has compatible size windows, and wants to make a swap.

I live on the west coast of Washington state. I think even with shipping the windows, it would be cheaper than buying new glass......

Just throwing it out there....
Cheers!
Hailey

birdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
Skoolie

I will love to get exchange my windows but I bet you we are too far apart, I'm in vancouver BC
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Where on the wast cost? I,m in port angeles. Can you post total outside dimensions? there are many differant sizes.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
I mean west coast. dyslexia strikes again.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Pepepito,

I am on San Juan Island, so vancouver B.C. is not out of the question..... I will get dimensions of the windows and post them tomorrow to see if we have compatible windows...
Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
Where on the wast cost? I,m in port angeles. Can you post total outside dimensions? there are many differant sizes.
I an on San Juan Island.... I will get the total outside dimensions and post them tomorrow!
Old 03-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Window dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
Sizes: The windows slide open from the top in aluminum tracks. Each consists of two halves, the top which slides down, and the bottom which is fixed.

The top half is approx. 25.5" wide x 15 1/4" tall
The bottom is approx 25.5" wide x 14" tall
Old 03-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 71
I've got a '93 29' (54pax) I'm parting out with clear glass.

Would love to get your tinted windows for my '98 that I am currently driving!

It's here in CO, so not sure if that would be practical at all? Shipping might be a killer!

We're planning a trip to CA, but not till 2019 when Star Wars Land opens...

Lemeno
ColoradoCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I am in Washington, and I have a handful of schoolbus windows I took out of my bus. Most of them are in "fair condition". I don't want to trade them, but I would love to give them all to you for free. I'll take measurements tonight.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCummins View Post
I've got a '93 29' (54pax) I'm parting out with clear glass.

Would love to get your tinted windows for my '98 that I am currently driving!

It's here in CO, so not sure if that would be practical at all? Shipping might be a killer!

We're planning a trip to CA, but not till 2019 when Star Wars Land opens...

Lemeno
Hi Lemeno,

Yeah, I wonder about what the shipping cost would be.... If we could confirm that we have compatible windows, then we could look into it more in detail...

What are the dimensions of your windows?
Old 03-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
I am in Washington, and I have a handful of schoolbus windows I took out of my bus. Most of them are in "fair condition". I don't want to trade them, but I would love to give them all to you for free. I'll take measurements tonight.
Hi! Cool! That would be amazing if they are a good fit. Then I could pass mine along to someone else who wants them, too.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

[QUOTE=TAOLIK;188849]I am in Washington, and I have a handful of schoolbus
Old 03-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Hurray!

Quote:
Hi, I'm a little confused about how to use this forum. I think I've replied to you, maybe twice, but can't see it, so I will try agin!

Just wanted to let you know that if your windows are a good fit, that would be amazing!

Thanks for your kind offer.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbus View Post
Hi, I'm a little confused about how to use this forum. I think I've replied to you, maybe twice, but can't see it, so I will try agin!

Just wanted to let you know that if your windows are a good fit, that would be amazing!

Thanks for your kind offer.
Yeah, you did a good job. Myself however, I am a flake and got distracted with my own stuff. I'll try not to forget to take measurements tonight.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah, you did a good job. Myself however, I am a flake and got distracted with my own stuff. I'll try not to forget to take measurements tonight.
thanks a million!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I have been developing a pattern of making commitments, forgetting about them, recommitting, blowing it off and then sometimes delivering. Alright, so after thinking about it I probably don't have enough windows to satisfy you. My bus isn't a full sized bus and only 14 Windows of 3 different sizes (give or take, these numbers are based off looking at bus pictures from 3 years ago, they are kind of burried and I didn't feel like diggin them up). Let me know if these pictures don't work, I am hosting them via google shared images. All of these windows are very close to 28" tall, I'll include a pic in the end for your intrepetation.

I should have 11 of these "medium sized windows"

The outside Measures about 27 1/4"

The inside measures about 25" 5/8

I should have 2 of these smaller windows (I just threw one away at the dump out of laziness)

They are about 20" 1/4 wide for the exterior

and I apparently forgot to measure the interior horizontal, so let's say it's 18" 5/8, if this is really important I can get you a better measurement later.

And I got this big drivers window which opens Horizontally (NOT vertically like the rest of the windows)

it's about 20 3/16" tall, this pic shows that some of the exterior metal is broken

Exterior horizontal is about 32" 1/4 wide

Interior Horizontal is about 30" 5/8

All of the vertical opening windows are about 28"-28 1/16 tall

Seeing these windows last night reminded me they are not in the best condition, they are dirty, many leak, many have various forms of caulk I used to try and fix those leaks, some have a little bit of paint on them, many have scratches. If you would like them though you can have them all picked up from federal way. Hell if you take them all, I'll even give you a free bowl of ramen from my restaurant. If you have trouble viewing those pics let me know!
Old 03-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbus View Post
I an on San Juan Island.... I will get the total outside dimensions and post them tomorrow!
Sorry to de-rail the thread, but We've been looking at an employment oppertunity on Orcas Island. I believe its just to the east of San Juan Island. Whats the cost of living/general demeanor of people in your area? is it just a big tourist trap? etc...

Also I have 24 tint-free windows I took out of my rig. If by some stroke of luck we get the job up there and you still need the windows I would be willing to bring them along with us and just give them to you...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Sorry to de-rail the thread, but We've been looking at an employment oppertunity on Orcas Island. I believe its just to the east of San Juan Island. Whats the cost of living/general demeanor of people in your area? is it just a big tourist trap? etc...

Also I have 24 tint-free windows I took out of my rig. If by some stroke of luck we get the job up there and you still need the windows I would be willing to bring them along with us and just give them to you...
I used to go to Orcas island family annually for a decade or two, now I only go every couple years. Orcas is a beautiful but small island, food is expensive by Washington standards, but still costs less than California, New York. There's a pretty large retirement community up there, which my mother is determined to join. I have a few friends who have spent a lot of time there, it sounds like it's really mellow and slow during the winter and gets busier during the spring/summer. It would be a fun place to spend some time at if you enjoy nature, hiking, water(a little cold to swim without a wetsuit), boats. I raced against some kids in sailboats once, they schooled me pretty hard, and made some cool spider-web like forts in tall boat trailers with rope. They also get some bioluminescence which is cool, one time I saw a huge 4 footish glow in the water swimming around, some car turned around the bend and shined at it right through the water, got to see a shark, pretty cool memory. My uncle said he saw a huge octopus chilling by a dock once too.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! From my perspective that was a prompt and informative reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. I will have to take some new measurements on my windows to make sure that they will fit, but I think the medium ones are just the right size - amazing - I'm hoping to that if I keep my frames and put in your windows then the leaking will be mitigated. The others I don't have a space for but I would gladly take them all off your hands if that is best for you - we have some other building projects we could probably use them for...... I will double check my measurements and confirm. Thanks again for your awesome reply!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post

Hey, I have spent a lot of my life living on San Juan island, not so much on orcas. I read the response to your post and that all seems just about right on. Food is expensive for Washington, cheaper than California - it all has to be shipped out by ferry. Ferry tickets are Expensive, look up the Washington state ferry website to get a picture of that. Increasingly busy in summer as a popular destination, and more and more in shoulder seasons, but winter still VERY mellow. Too mellow for some just right for others. There is a housing crisis right now, and it can Ben very hard to find housing. If you hav you Skoolie, then you are all set though. . Should be fairly easy to find a place to park it. There is a few pages where things like that happen - housing and selling and the like much more Han Craigslist is used out here, but try that too. One is lopezrocks.org , or salishrocks.org , several are through Facebook , look up these pages - San Juan islands buy sell trade , San Juan island trading post , San Juan island bulletin board .... many more. If you are into natural beauty and can handle some isolation and lack of cultural diversity and access to culture in general, then it is an amazing place to live. Orcas has great swimming lakes, hikes, kayaking, etc...
hope that helps! If you come out this way, let me know!

Tags
replace, tinted, tinted windows, tinting, windows