Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Weight issue!!

It seams my bus is heavier on the left than the right. Other than completely redoing the inside what can I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

I would take the bus to a truck scale so you can accurately measure how much weight is on each corner of the bus.

If you have overloaded one side over the other you may need to take a leaf out of the light side and/or add another leaf on the heavy side.

I doubt you could have loaded enough on one side to make the bus lean. You may have a broken spring that is causing lean.

Without knowing what is going on it is hard to know how to advise.

Good luck.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #3

Have you considered adding a freshwater tank to that side and adding water as needed? If it is simply an unbalanced load, seems as though something as simple could solve your problem.
Best of luck to you.
Kennycomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Seriously add an air bag kit.
Worth it.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I'd agree with cowlitzcoach. Get your bus weighed before you do anything else. Most truck upfitters try for a 40/60 front to rear and a 50/50 side to side weight distribution. I use air bags on my toad when I pull a trailer with it to give the rear wheels a bit more travel but you still need to keep the weight distribution right and also not over load the axle/tires. Bags will make the vehicle look OK but will do nothing to correct an off balance load--the inertia of the load will still be just as active as it was without the bags.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Crawl under and examine the springs.
Leaf springs typically crack where the spring pack/axle locating bolt is located. Also centered in between the ubolts. If one leaf is cracked you can usually see the crack and that leaf will not be following the same arch as the other leafs.
If the lean is from an unbalanced load, adding and subtracting leafs from one side to the other is no better than adding air bags and using different pressures to level it out.
The load is still unbalanced.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
better look underneath!

my bus is stout enough that it doesnt matter side to side. my drivers side is much heavier than the passenger side and there is no visible lean. sounds like something is broken to me.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

We routinely added spring leaves to the right rear spring pack on our rear lift equipped buses and bags and/or spring leaves on middle/front lift equipped buses. The extra spring capacity helped with the lean when the lift was lifting big loads.

We discovered over time that if we didn't add springs to the spring pack we would be replacing broken springs anyway. Adding a leaf or two prevented the stock spring pack from getting overloaded while operating the lift.

Yes it tended to make the bus look like it was leaning towards the driver's side when they were first added. However, within a short period of time the buses tended to level themselves out.

Again, the only way in which to know if it is a weight issue or spring issue you need to weigh all four corners of the bus.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
I just had my bus weighed at a CAT scale near our truck stops and didn't know they could give a side to side weight. They gave me front and rear axle weight.
bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote