Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Where to Find Info on my 1978 Chevrolet Short Bus

First post!
Here's the story: we found a 1978 Chevrolet Short Bus on craigslist at the beginning of the summer with my wife's intention of making it a mobile pop-up shop (playing off the food truck craze). We had to get new tires, new brakes, full tune-up, new muffler, etc, spent more on the repairs than the original cost of the bus itself. Now, we've gotten to the point where it's mobile, demo'ed the inside, and are actually using it... Going forward, I want to get all paperwork in order (the previous owner rebuilt the engine, kept it in a barn for 20 years, and kept a notebook full of logs and maintenance information), and I want to find out more about this bus (when people come up and ask "wow, what kind of bus is that?" and I say "1978 Chevy" but I want to know more about it...). Are there good resources online for us to look specifically for info, where do we start (besides this place, which is awesome, btw), and do you guys have any kind of referral network for parts, repair shops, etc? Thanks so much, looking forward to sharing more stories soon!

http://www.shopretro101.com

Retro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Where to Find Info on my 1978 Chevrolet Short Bus

Welcome to the madhouse --- going back to '78 could be tricky, but it looks a bit like some of the Blue Bird's from that era. There were some shorty's with that type of front end as I recall. If you can find a makers plate to confirm her DNA, they should have some data. Blue Bird in particular has always been good at keeping info available on their units going back quite a ways.

Meanwhile...I noticed that there is an extra "t" in the "http" portion of your link. Works fine when it is removed.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Bus Geek

The blog is fun...needs more pics and stories
Welcome and good luck....live long....and prosper
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I don't think it's a Bluebird, no "eyebrows" over the side windows. There should be tags and number plates somewhere that tells the builder.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54

The body of that bus is a Superior (Sheller Globe) Pacemaker Type B.
jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote