Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #41

If you are the type of person who cant fix anything the 6.0 is not for you nor is any other diesel. This community seems to be different, people see the diamonds in the rough invest some sweat and have an end product that is far better than most of the junk rvs that are out there.
My snow plowing buisnes relies on equipment that does not fail or your replaced with the next guy. When I build a bus to travel in likewise I will be on a budget and do not want to be at the mercy of a mechanic that may or may not be familiar with my particular motor. I am by no means a mechanic and the problems with the 6.0s are now so well documented they are easily overcome. The 6.0 and 7.3 are simple to work on and any of the sites I previously mentioned will walk you thru any repair step by step. Most are done with hand tools and some patience something that does not seem to be a problem for most folks here
Its really a simple matter of what you feel comfortable with based on facts and available solutions to a simple problem.
I have friends that replaced there 6.0 fleets for the next best thing and payed for it. Ten years later my 6.0 is running strong with 200k and they have been thru 4 different brands and models for god knows how much. In the end they have learned nothing about what keeps them on the road and couldnt begin to fix anything if money tightens up. You can repair the major problems of the 6.0 for about $1200.00 in parts (Oil cooler/EGR cooler) or upgrade and eliminate the problem completly for $1800. Could there be other issues sure but a simple $75.00 scan guage tool and getting the motor to operating temp will tell you all you need to know before you purchase

Some dealers are great but it only takes 1 bad one to empty your wallet and declare the 6.0 a mistake. Diesels require good maintenance practices so if your not willing to learn a few basic things you are going to pay a lot of money for even a basic oil change.
A 6.0 Van is a nightmare to work on and I just wouldnt buy one unless it was almost free. Others feel its worth it but not me.
Trust me I was scared to death when the problems became widespread back in 03-04 with the 6.0s in hindsight plenty are on the road and running like a top. Not for everyone but like I said if you want endless free resources for repairs the 6.0 or 7.3 might be an option or not depending on your interest.

Ken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I fix lots of stuff. But I don't go fixing manufaturer's mistakes.
Diesels are simple. Until the epa crap with a million fragile plasic parts and electronic doodads are applied. Put that into a van chassis and it makes for a stupidly hard to mess with scenario the average diy-er should avoid. Most of the buses with 6.0's on here and in the wild are based on van chassis.

Glad you aren't one who lost their shirt. cheers.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3 View Post
6.0 is a bargain if you know or are willing to invest a little time in watching some youtube videos. I have both the 7.3 in a 550 and the 6.0 in a F350.
They have both been good motors the 7.3 has been cheaper overall but the 6.0 is more efficient and A better engine with some updates to cure fords mistakes.
Anything 6.0 can be had for a steal because everyone is so scared of them. After having it and doing the upgrades I feel better knowing I can fix any part of it short of a lower engine failure.
Bulletproof diesel and videos from Diesel Tech Ron will save you thousands of dollars in repairs. I dont own a bus yet but a 6.0 or its International clone the VT365 are high on my list.
The difference- Ford took the base VT365 and bumped up the horsepower in the great race with dodge causing issues with head studs. The VT365 has a lower HP rating (what it was designed for) with better results.
Both had poorly designed EGR coolers and Oil coolers which can easily be cured for a few thousand. A lot yes but not for a motor that will go 400-600k IMHO. This is about the only thing on this forum I know anything about but Im learning a ton from everyone so wanted to try to help out.
Ken,

Thank you for the perspective on the 6.0.

I am considering buying my second one and am of the understanding that a 6.0 with an updated oil cooler, EGR cooler and a coolant filter is a very good powerplant at a reasonable HP configuration.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastcb View Post
sure, man.
678-763-2804‬‬
WestBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Well, WestBound joins the ranks of REALLY COOL folks we've had the pleasure of meeting up with from this site.
The central FL skoolie community is alive and STRONG!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Goshen Sentry
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: cummins 250
Rated Cap: 36
I have had a fleet of these. You don't want the 6.0. After 2006 most of the bugs were resolved but they still have problems. You also don't want to be stuck with something that you can't sell when the time comes and the 6.0 has received so much negative attention that you are better off with a 7.3. I would personally avoid the 6.0 and 6.4.

Get the 7.3. The mileage is more like 17-18 highway stock, more with modifications. I just saw a 7.3 with 530,000 miles on it. No issues with oil coolers, head studs, no problematic years, and the resale value goes up as the government increases emissions regulations. Everyone can work on a 7.3 and it is a simple proven design. The 7.3 is a medium duty diesel doing light duty work in a short bus.

Every Van is a pain to work on and the 6.0 has too many serious problems.

Thanks

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/6138246721.html
Deshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshet View Post
I have had a fleet of these. You don't want the 6.0. After 2006 most of the bugs were resolved but they still have problems. You also don't want to be stuck with something that you can't sell when the time comes and the 6.0 has received so much negative attention that you are better off with a 7.3. I would personally avoid the 6.0 and 6.4.

Get the 7.3. The mileage is more like 17-18 highway stock, more with modifications. I just saw a 7.3 with 530,000 miles on it. No issues with oil coolers, head studs, no problematic years, and the resale value goes up as the government increases emissions regulations. Everyone can work on a 7.3 and it is a simple proven design. The 7.3 is a medium duty diesel doing light duty work in a short bus.

Every Van is a pain to work on and the 6.0 has too many serious problems.

Thanks
Thanks for sharing that real world experience! That's what EVERY business owner I know says about the 6.0's. A could local lawn mowing outfits got hit HARD with repairs on those bastard engines. They've ruined livelihoods!
Old 01-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #48

Then why do most class A motor homes witch weigh around 26k pounds have a ford V-10 ?
brovo559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brovo559 View Post
Then why do most class A motor homes witch weigh around 26k pounds have a ford V-10 ?
My folks have exactly what you describe. Its MISERABLE.
They have them cause they're cheaper than commercial grade gear.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brovo559 View Post
They don't.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Never mind. I don't know if I can delete this... I jsut noticed how old this thread is LOL.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote