Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Re: Window Sealing

read the threads on the first page here in the last couple weeks several buses like yours have had pics showing fixing the window leak issues

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I did not remove our rear or front windshield glass. I pulled the locking spline. Took a paint can key (opener) pulled the trim back away from the window so that a Popsicle/craft stick could fit between the glass/metal body & rubber trim. Another stick was used to push a wet (water w/ dish soap) paper towel around the gap to clean out any dirt. Did this on the glass side & the metal body side, inside and out. Let the window dry completely (left a few sticks in place to allow the air to circulate and dry it all out. Caulked the cleaned sections with Henry's 212 Clear Elastometric Caulk (cut a small hole as possible and applied liberally). Put the spline back in. Let the squeezed out stuff dry completely. Trimmed the dry caulking off with a razor blade. I discovered the tiny hole plus filling the space between gasket & glass/metal body) with lots of the caulk worked best. I had also washed the windows and cleaned the mildew/filth off the rubber gasket. The clear is better on my hands and looked best on the windows. I worked on one window at a time. It took mine a couple days to fully cure before I trimmed it. Fully cured caulking sliced off neater that slightly gooey caulk. None of the windows leak any more.... and it has been raining here since Monday afternoon ( that's 3 days, almost non-stop).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I pulled a similar window out of my bus-almost by accident! I wanted to flip over one of my windows to have the small window on the bottom (like you 2nd from rear.) I was doing a preliminary looking over what was needed to be removed-so i pulled the 20 or so screws out of the inside trim piece to look what was underneath-and was suprised thats all that hold it in! told the wife to push gently from the inside-and it was out. About 10 minutes clean up of old sealer and a caulk gun with silicone sealer and poof-window went back in upside down. (just make sure the trim piece goes back the same direction as the glass so the screw holes line up. (File that one under things learned the hard way! )
If smearing from the outside doesn't work, dont be scared to pop the window out and fully seal it.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
... If smearing from the outside doesn't work, dont be scared to pop the window out and fully seal it.
Go ahead and remove completely then seal the crap out of it. Better now than discover you should have later when it's a pain to pull and fix. Leaky windows are not fun.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

I did the same as sdwarf; pulled the windows and siliconed them good. As lorna said, let the goop dry then trim off the squeeze-out. It's much neater than trying to wipe off the stuff when it's wet.

I found one rear window that wasn't covering it's hole and the window to the right of the entrance door was held in by a wish and a prayer. I even had to have the windshield replaced since it was only somewhat sealed. In the end, I resealed every piece of glass except the drivers door window.

Are yours leaking between the window frame and the body or between the glass and the window frame? If the latter, there should be weep holes at the bottom of the window frame that will let the water (or condensation) out. Leaks between the window frame and body can degrade the fiberglass sandwich (if yours is fiberglass) and delaminate the inner and outer body panels. That was a big surprise to me. I thought that a 'glass body would be impervious to water damage.

Most of these windows are originally installed with a rubber gasket between the body and the outer flange of the window frame. Some of mine still had the gasket but I siliconed them anyway.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

i discovered that my landing deck for the rv is perfect height to work on the windows on my bus to. the previous owner gooped up the top of the windows with stuff so i will probably scrape it all off, use that popsicle trick and re-do mine and flip the flipped ones back up.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

try using the stuff in the tubes from the automotive paint supply houses for installing glue in windshields. I am now seeing it at some of the parts houses.. costs around 15 or so for a tube.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Windshield urethane? OMG-you will never get the window out again if you do. That stuff is made to not just seal-but hold the window in.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Windshield urethane? OMG-you will never get the window out again if you do. That stuff is made to not just seal-but hold the window in.
That would add to the structural integrity of the fiberglass
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

you cut windshield urethane just like any other silicone.. i use it all the time cause i dont like the cheap stuff cause its too flimsy...