Old 11-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
Most people don't realize almost all propane tanks are actually cast in sections and welded together.
I hope you meant to say "constructed" or "fabricated" instead of "cast".
Maybe autocorrect got ya.
DoubleO7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
On the answer to the installing the valve from a vertical tank to a 100lb being long enough. Its not going to the end of the tank it would be going to the bottom. so it only has to be a few inches long and a flex line with a weighted end so it lays on the bottom. but that's for liquid like running a engine. For your appliances you could put a solid hose on and make sure it points up when your done with the install so it can suck vapor. The problem is you need the vent screw up there so you can fill it. thats why I say move the whole fitting to the top of the tank where ever that might be once its installed.

As far as welding goes to the other guys question on being certified. or inspected. there is no inspection on what you build there are minimum requirements to be met and ways to check what you build. Most places that sell full welding tanks or a fill plant for gasses can hydro a tank for you. But they work in 1500 psi and 300 psi. your working in the same are that you go to wall mart and buy a tank for filling your car tire at these pressures and it could come apart? maybe? Its just not some thing that explodes. I mean the gas does but that's after the tank has been failed.

Its so un certified that you can go buy copper compression fittings' from lowes with out a license and start a project connecting your gas stuff in your house all on your own. A propane empty propane tank with it being filled to twice its pressure rating. I would not hesitate to drill a hole right in it or torch hole in it. There is so little pressure it just vents out the hole. but if you don't fabricate or have that skill set skip it let a pro do it. I went to school for welding and have some certificates that say I know how to fuse some different metals together for different pressure vessels. I can also weld pop cans together and have no certificate from Budweiser allowing me to fuse there cans at all. I know I'm a rebel.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
I hope you meant to say "constructed" or "fabricated" instead of "cast".
Maybe autocorrect got ya.

Good word catch there not casted there pressure formed. the look like there cast when there not put together. All tops and ends are done this way?
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes you're right, for horizontal use just rotate in the bracket, index-hole UP will give vapor output
Actually this will not be safe, the fixed-level spitter valve and safety pressure relief both need to be up at the top in the vapor space.

So since I can't find the 43.5 aluminum forklift tanks with the sixth hole, I'm back to needing either:

A replacing the filler valve at the bottom, fitting a dip tube for the vapor valve ending up at the top

or

B replacing the ​safety relief fitting with a multivalve including both the pressure relief and vapor service.

B would likely be easier, but that hole may be angled outward not straight along the cylinder axis like the others?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
If you mount non-DOT approved propane tank(s) on your bus, that can't be easily removed to have filled..............
Are you going to have filling station jockeys refuse to fill them?
DoubleO7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Forklift tanks are standard DOT cylinders, and as long as it's a nice-looking tank certification date is current and there are standard filler and bleeder valves there for them to use, I don't think many would have a problem.

And nothing will be permanently mounted, in fact most of the time I will be bringing the bottles into town in another vehicle to get filled up anyway

That's for getting them filled , not to say finding a certified tech to do the modifications is going to be easy.

I'm just trying to get certain on exactly what it is I want and get the top quality fittings and tank in place ready to go, to grease the skids so to speak.

Worst case I do everything myself but I would rather not.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote