Originally Posted by charles_m
Looks like you've already got something worked out, but I love these:
If I was building a cabin I'd go for a setup like this. I think they are handsome and brutally simple. Quite efficient and people claim 100,000hrs of service life if maintained properly which is crazy. Then again, the model I like tops out at about 700 rpm and is built like a tank.
The key word in your post is "CABIN"....
If I were to use it stationary for sure, but in mobile application it is too bulky, too heavy and not enough power.
My plan is to use AC compressor and alternator at the same time. It will look like this:
1. The power unit will start in the morning or when batteries are too low.
2. Charging system will start will start.
3. If AC is required, AC compressor will start/ stop.
4. When batteries are full power unit will stop.
5. Electric AC will kick in using batteries/inverter.
I do plan to have 10-12 KW/H lithium battery pack.
6. I will make sure batteries are full in the evening and they will provide power during night time.
This is the plan. I am busy with my bus conversion but will slowly work on this power unit project.
BTW I found this great article about alternators efficiency:
Very interesting and very fundamental material to read.