Old 12-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Does somebody have experience with PNG PMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
........... It looks like a bunch of ignorant clowns are trying to make a power revolution......
I see what you did there

Bansil approves
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Rear engine
Engine: Cummins 8.3; MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Does somebody have experience with PNG PMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
........... It looks like a bunch of ignorant clowns are trying to make a power revolution......
I see what you did there

Bansil approves
This is a very strange situation. I wanted to see a Power/ RPM data but I only could find meaningless wind speed/power graph . I contacted this company and asked this very basic simple question. But guess what?.... no answer. OK no answer is nothing for me I called them and asked the same. They told me that all they have is wind/power graph. After some pressure they sent me power/rpm table. The maximum value in the table was 1108 Watt which is much much lower than 1500 Watt and even lower than 2800 Watt they claim.

How do you call people who designed and built from scratch a generator and they don't even have power/rpm data? I call this people clowns... Also they say their generator is revolutionary great unit this is why I called them "clowns are trying to make a power revolution....."

I would buy their generator and I don't mind to pay $500+ if it guarantee can produce at least 1500 Watt and be efficient.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Best way to charge batteries with small engine/alternato

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Re: Best way to charge batteries with small engine/alternato

Running the small diesel and generating DC directly is a solid idea. You may have some difficulty reducing the RPM, though, depending on how the engine is controlled.

3600 RPM to me sounds like it was designed for AC generator service:
60 Hz = 60 R/second x 60 seconds = 3600 RPM.
If an electronic speed controller operates based on the frequency it sees, it may take some engineering to slow the RPM.

If the RPM control is mechanical, then an "Appalachian American" solution should suffice.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:46 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
Running the small diesel and generating DC directly is a solid idea. You may have some difficulty reducing the RPM, though, depending on how the engine is controlled.

3600 RPM to me sounds like it was designed for AC generator service:
60 Hz = 60 R/second x 60 seconds = 3600 RPM.
If an electronic speed controller operates based on the frequency it sees, it may take some engineering to slow the RPM.

If the RPM control is mechanical, then an "Appalachian American" solution should suffice.
This is the point of getting DC and charge batteries directly. Most if not all DC alternators are 3 phase AC alternators, then AC is converted to DC via 3 pairs of diodes and rectified to get charging voltage 14... or exciter coil is controlling output voltage. It doesn't matter what RPM the engine is running.

The problem (may be not a problem at all) is car alternators are low efficient by their nature. This is why I was thinking of using wind turbine PMA/PMG.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #16
Skoolie

Diesel battery charger/ac compressor

I got a diesel engine from semi APU (axillary power unit). It used to be a Rig Master APU. My plan is to use engine, ac compressor and add 24V alternator to charge batteries

The engine is 2 cylinder liquid cooled Perkins /CAT

The engine is rusty but hardly used. I bypassed controls and started it up. It runs very good.

I am thinking about using bus cooling system and completely enclose the engine to help to make it as silent as possible.

The engine is 500cc 2 cylinder 12HP @ 2800 RPM I am thinking about lowering RPM below 2000 RPM (to reduce noise level) but I will lose some power. I might be end up adding a turbocharger....
Old 03-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Looks like you've already got something worked out, but I love these:

If I was building a cabin I'd go for a setup like this. I think they are handsome and brutally simple. Quite efficient and people claim 100,000hrs of service life if maintained properly which is crazy. Then again, the model I like tops out at about 700 rpm and is built like a tank.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Looks like you've already got something worked out, but I love these:

If I was building a cabin I'd go for a setup like this. I think they are handsome and brutally simple. Quite efficient and people claim 100,000hrs of service life if maintained properly which is crazy. Then again, the model I like tops out at about 700 rpm and is built like a tank.
The key word in your post is "CABIN"....

If I were to use it stationary for sure, but in mobile application it is too bulky, too heavy and not enough power.

My plan is to use AC compressor and alternator at the same time. It will look like this:

1. The power unit will start in the morning or when batteries are too low.

2. Charging system will start will start.

3. If AC is required, AC compressor will start/ stop.

4. When batteries are full power unit will stop.

5. Electric AC will kick in using batteries/inverter.

I do plan to have 10-12 KW/H lithium battery pack.

6. I will make sure batteries are full in the evening and they will provide power during night time.

This is the plan. I am busy with my bus conversion but will slowly work on this power unit project.

BTW I found this great article about alternators efficiency:

http://delcoremy.com/documents/high-...ite-paper.aspx

Very interesting and very fundamental material to read.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
Site Team

I'm too tired to read this thread,

but go here====> https://theepicenter.com/cgi/order.c....html&cart_id=

and scroll down to this.

Quote:
BUILD YOUR OWN GENERATOR - DIY Parts & Accessories

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Car alternators use a wound rotar in which the limiting factor is cooling so the output is limited so they don't overheat and they are actually too small for their rated output because car engineers realize that they are going to run 95% of the time at less than half their rating so they save weight by making it smaller. If you look at a semi truck alternator of the same rating, it will be 4 times the size because it runs at about 90 % of its rated capacity when the trucks lights are on so get a good honda generator and a good 13.6 volt inverter/power supply for a motor home, my bluebird wanderlodge has a 76 amp inverter for 12 volt power, it also charges the batteries when it operates
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote