Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #1

Year: 1984
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: gmc
Engine: 366
converting propane to gas

i have a 1984 gmc bluebird i think its a 6000 i have removed all of the propane stuff and converted it back to gas do i have to change the distributor or will the one thats in it work, i have had it running on gas already but was told i need to change distributor to get proper timing, also will any big block hei distributor and cap and rotor work on this engine

wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: converting propane to gas

You may or may not have to change the timing curves. It will depend on it if was a conversion or factory setup in the first place as well as how complete the conversion was. You could just get a timing light with an advance wheel and dial it in that way with a weight and spring kit.

As far as a distributer I'm going to assume you have either a 366 or a 427 tall deck. In that case you will need a distributer from another tall deck truck. Another option would be a distributer with an adjustable slip collar. It's been a long time since I've played with a tall deck, but I *think* the distributors are gear driven and spin backwards. Just make a note of the firing order on the existing dizzy.

If you have a 350 or a 454 then a $50 eBay rebuilt HEI is all you would need.

What did you do with all the propane stuff? I might be interested in buying it if you still have it and the price is right.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #3

thanks for the info still have the propane stuff the only reason we converted was we use the bus for moose hunting in northern ontario and finding propane at 2 in the morning is hard to do up there,plus the manufacture tag on the tank was gone so i couldn't get a safety on it and couldn't find another tank with a tag,
Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

all or the lp and cng stuff that we ran in dyno was using the stock distributor with the total advance set for the fuel being run, just find the stock max timing advance and set the timing their, then test drive and listen for ping or knock, and decrease timing until you don't have any knock.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

How much would you be looking to get for the lock off, regulator, and carb itself?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #6

well ended up having to change the distributor cause the old one was pooched any ways one of the weights wasmissing and the had the advance blocked off with a plastic plug a distributor out of a 350 small block fit exact same distributor, set the timing and away we went on the maiden voyage only to blow a flex line on the front,try and find one of those in a hurry 3 weeks to get one finally found one through carquest auto parts not selling the propane stuff just in case we decide to put it back to propane some day hey thanks for all the info though it has been very helpful never knew there where so many people with converted schoolbuses