Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #11

Re: DAYS ARE NUMBERED

Wood gas generators are proven... ask any Finn or Swede who remembers the War... or any of the researchers who've started investigating the concept all over again. I am investigating the potential for a wood gas generator to power a bus conversion. But I'm having a lot of trouble finding what kind of mileage I can expect. Some of the car conversions claim 9,000 miles per cord. That seems a little extreme, but who am I to say? Anybody here have any ideas whatsoever?
DeesSqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeesSqueeze
Wood gas generators are proven... ask any Finn or Swede who remembers the War... or any of the researchers who've started investigating the concept all over again. I am investigating the potential for a wood gas generator to power a bus conversion. But I'm having a lot of trouble finding what kind of mileage I can expect. Some of the car conversions claim 9,000 miles per cord. That seems a little extreme, but who am I to say? Anybody here have any ideas whatsoever?

Hey Squeeze, I remember reading about wood gas generators in an old Mother Earth News. I can't remember which issue it was, but the people at Mother Earth did make a car using wood.

Also, if you can find him, Silver Bear had a wood gasifier on his bus. I don't know how lucky you'll be, his bus was from the 70s and I doubt if he's still around.

BTW, I think the issue of Mother Earth News had plans to build a gasifier.

Good luck.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeesSqueeze
Hey Squeeze, the link for wood gasifier plans is: http://www.motherearthnews.com/shopp...itemnumber=762
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #14

Thanks for the links... I've been there, read the relevant stuff... but the problem is, while they give really interesting design points, they don't say much about mileage per cord. Yeah, I know, green wood vs. seasoned wood, poplar vs oak... but still, a range of potential values would be nice. I mean, if a ton of cordwood give 500 miles, then maybe it's not such a good idea. OTH, if a ton gives 5,000 miles, then it becomes much more interesting. I guess it's just a matter of surfing until I stumble onto something.
DeesSqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I grew up in Norway and can confirm that my parents' and grandparents' generation made good use of wood gasification during the Nazi occupation. From photos I saw, it was typically an apparatus that filled the entire trunk area of the car, to above the roof. And power was very low. But it worked.

Not much mention of electric power here yet. I like electric propulsion. Test drove one of the original 50 GM Impact (EV 1) prototypes, and lem'me tell ya', I wish my Dodge Dakota had that kind of snappy get-up-n-go. And gotta love the fact that electric motors deliver full power from a standstill! No transmission or clutch needed.

Battery technology is the big problem. Batteries were basically perfected 100 years ago. Clara Ford ran her errands around Dearborn in electric cars like the Baker Electric -- not in her husbands temperamental model Ts.

There are two kinds of electric vehicles.
A. "Real" electrics, with no clutch or transmission. Power accessories like power steering and air conditioning are self-contained and operate even when the traction engine is stopped.
B. "Gerry-rigged conversions", which retain the clutch and transmission of the original vehicle. In these, the electric engine always turns, so that the accessories can be driven off a front pulley as usual.

Generally, but not always, "real" electric cars have Alternating Current motors, while the conversions tend to use less expensive Direct Current motors.

If I understand it right, the controller is a very costly item, specially for A/C motors.

If you are still reading this, you may know something about such things. And if you do, I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get a controller for a big-honking A/C motor I have here. It came out of a real electric car, but I did not get the controller with it.

No, I don't think it could be used for anything in my bus -- allthough OF COURSE I would like to have the first hybrid skoolie! But I might stick it in a small car for local errands, or in a "Mutant Vehicle" for Burning Man.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Elliot,
look at industrial/forklift parts, the GE EV1 control system has been around forever, thir has to be used and refurbished units available, you would only need the traction motor part of a forklift drive system for a car.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Thanks Paul! Great idea.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #18

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: Ford 500

Quote:
Hey Squeeze, I remember reading about wood gas generators in an old Mother Earth News. I can't remember which issue it was, but the people at Mother Earth did make a car using wood.

Also, if you can find him, Silver Bear had a wood gasifier on his bus. I don't know how lucky you'll be, his bus was from the 70s and I doubt if he's still around.

BTW, I think the issue of Mother Earth News had plans to build a gasifier.

Good luck.

Robert

Last I saw of silver bear , most of his buses were gone and all he had left was a non-running greyhound. Big Dave had passed on in Watsonville
and everyone had to move on, so I don't know if he even has that bus , or if he had to move into his van..

As to wood gasification, it's not all that complicated. It was used back in the world wars when liquid fuels were in short supply.
basically one has a tube filled with wood chips or the like. The fire burns from the bottom of this tube with a very limited air supply.
The tube is nested in another tube and the gases escaping the smoldering fire (20% hydrogen) are drawn off by the vacume of the engine.
Along the way to the engine , the gases are perked through water or other filtering to remove the tars that would gunk up an engine.
There are some basic plans available through of all places FEMA (The Katrinia screw ups )

Vehicals powered by wood gasification are somewhat gutless , but will eventually get up to speed. Wood gasification has even been used with Diesel engines.
VW even made some production cars ~1944 powered in this fashion.

I have a link on one of my sites that describes how to build a wood gasifier.
http://primus.drclue.net/Power/WoodGas/index.php It's largely based upon the FEMA (The Katrina people) .pdf file on the subject,
but I'm adding more material as time permits regarding improvements to the design.

--Doc
drclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #19
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

try this forum http://www.evdl.org/ for any information you could want electric cars, though as much as I'd like to do an electric as heavy as a bus the heavier you get the vastly more costly electric becomes
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 54

I think getting free WVO is a regional thing, folks in my neck of the woods are still paying to have it hauled off.

Take care,
Den