Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2015, 03:12 PM   #21
Bus Crazy
 
roach711's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, Mi (Detroit area)
Posts: 1,572
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Seems to me that you're putting the cart before the horse.

I looked at your earlier posts and you say this bus will be more of a house than an RV and that you'll have another vehicle as your daily driver. So presumably the bus won't be run very often. The question I'd be asking myself isn't which alternative fuel to go with, but why do it at all? A full tank of dino diesel may last you a year or two assuming you can find a viable long term parking spot, preferably with water, electrical and sewage hookups.

That's the question you need to answer; where will you park the thing? You will be hassled if you just pull up and park somewhere. Solve the parking problem first or be prepared for a lot of grief.

Not trying to bust your chops here, but many people on this forum have had big problems with neighbors, home owner associations, police and zoning boards. If you don't have your ducks in a row your life will become much more interesting in a hurry.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 29
Send a message via AIM to KeiroD Send a message via Yahoo to KeiroD Send a message via Skype™ to KeiroD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Seems to me that you're putting the cart before the horse.

I looked at your earlier posts and you say this bus will be more of a house than an RV and that you'll have another vehicle as your daily driver. So presumably the bus won't be run very often. The question I'd be asking myself isn't which alternative fuel to go with, but why do it at all? A full tank of dino diesel may last you a year or two assuming you can find a viable long term parking spot, preferably with water, electrical and sewage hookups.

That's the question you need to answer; where will park the thing? You will be hassled if you just pull up and park somewhere. Solve the parking problem first or be prepared for a lot of grief.

Not trying to bust your chops here, but many people on this forum have had big problems with neighbors, home owner associations, police and zoning boards. If you don't have your ducks in a row your life will become much more interesting in a hurry.
First thing: I know you're not busting my chops, just concerned about my situation. I agree, it gets very interesting very fast. Fortunately, that's covered! I've considered those, that's on a separate document. Mostly so I don't clutter it all up with various data. I probably should've linked the locations document in the google docs... that's fixed, now.

Here's the location link document: https://docs.google.com/a/heimkoma.c...it?usp=sharing

I myself will be living in it full-time once the conversion's completed. Maybe others will too, but at this time, I know I will be. And I will be traveling frequently to at least one convention a year once I've obtained a bus and completed its conversion.

In other words... I've got the traveler bug... prior to deciding to commit to a bus conversion project after October, I was moving at least once to twice a couple years though it's not uncommon for me to need to move soon after I've moved in! Sometimes more than that. But usually once or twice. And I'm tired of looking for apartments to rent out.

I decided to go with a bus rather than an RV.
KeiroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #23
Bus Crazy
 
roach711's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, Mi (Detroit area)
Posts: 1,572
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Good to hear you've got that covered. I didn't want you to get all fired up about about what can be an awesome project just to find out that it's not welcome everywhere.

Once you have a place to land the sky's the limit. We're here to point out the potholes along the way, not rain on your parade.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #24
Skoolie
 
wunderhut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Farmington, IL
Posts: 180
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
I deliver oil and fuels for a living. Most of you are probably already running an 11% bio blend without knowing it. At least throughout the summer.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 29
Send a message via AIM to KeiroD Send a message via Yahoo to KeiroD Send a message via Skype™ to KeiroD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Good to hear you've got that covered. I didn't want you to get all fired up about about what can be an awesome project just to find out that it's not welcome everywhere.

Once you have a place to land the sky's the limit. We're here to point out the potholes along the way, not rain on your parade.
Definitely a good thing to do! Only problem is, land is not cheap... well, relatively speaking. Land here in Ohio goes for anywhere between $10k and above.

Of course, there's some deeper research that needs to be done prior to actually going anywhere. But at the moment, I've access to a fair amount of parking space that I can use to convert the bus. I just need to acquire tools and the ingredients to finish the conversion. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennimoto View Post
I deliver oil and fuels for a living. Most of you are probably already running an 11% bio blend without knowing it. At least throughout the summer.
Nice, an interesting fact I didn't know! Why is that?
KeiroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #26
Skoolie
 
wunderhut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Farmington, IL
Posts: 180
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiroD View Post
Nice, an interesting fact I didn't know! Why is that?
It's cheaper, better for the environment, and subsidized.
Major bonus, it increases your fuels lubricity. Less engine wear!
I'd say probably 90% of farmers I deliver to, it's the only thing they use.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #27
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,170
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Ya...straight, filtered ATF runs just dandy. Great thing about diesels is that when (as Nat is looking forward to it) the Apocalypse does come...you will be able to burn darn near anything in your diesel. Heck...the original diesel engine was designed to run on coal dust.

Below is just one article on ATF...there are lots...

Automatic Transmission Fluid Fuel - Alternative Diesel Fuel - Diesel Power Magazine

One thing you have to keep in mind is that ALL fuels available commercially today are piss-poor compromises of technology, resources, politics and economics. It is resoundingly easy to improve greatly on what is available "at the pump". I used to run "Aviation Purple" in my formula race bike (145 octane). When that went away, we went to "Green"...about 130. From then on, we had to blend our own in order to keep the power levels we had become accustomed to.

Nowadays, try and find anything remotely like that at the pump. Maybe 87 octane Corn Oil Crap? Makes a huge difference in HP, performance & mpg. Same is true for "modern" diesel fuels.

Point is, a little minor blending can make a very big difference.
Example: It has almost become standard procedure these days to add lubricity to overpriced, low sulfur diesel fuel. Many tests have shown that the formulations in use today have potentially serious negative effects resulting from all the "compromises".

Adding ATF and/or small amounts of cheap 2-stroke oil have been proven to significantly improve both performance and engine longevity.

Definitely a subject worthy of study for anyone owning or operating a diesel engine these days. Also kinda fun to beat the system.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 29
Send a message via AIM to KeiroD Send a message via Yahoo to KeiroD Send a message via Skype™ to KeiroD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Ya...straight, filtered ATF runs just dandy. Great thing about diesels is that when (as Nat is looking forward to it) the Apocalypse does come...you will be able to burn darn near anything in your diesel. Heck...the original diesel engine was designed to run on coal dust.

Below is just one article on ATF...there are lots...

Automatic Transmission Fluid Fuel - Alternative Diesel Fuel - Diesel Power Magazine

One thing you have to keep in mind is that ALL fuels available commercially today are piss-poor compromises of technology, resources, politics and economics. It is resoundingly easy to improve greatly on what is available "at the pump". I used to run "Aviation Purple" in my formula race bike (145 octane). When that went away, we went to "Green"...about 130. From then on, we had to blend our own in order to keep the power levels we had become accustomed to.

Nowadays, try and find anything remotely like that at the pump. Maybe 87 octane Corn Oil Crap? Makes a huge difference in HP, performance & mpg. Same is true for "modern" diesel fuels.

Point is, a little minor blending can make a very big difference.
Example: It has almost become standard procedure these days to add lubricity to overpriced, low sulfur diesel fuel. Many tests have shown that the formulations in use today have potentially serious negative effects resulting from all the "compromises".

Adding ATF and/or small amounts of cheap 2-stroke oil have been proven to significantly improve both performance and engine longevity.

Definitely a subject worthy of study for anyone owning or operating a diesel engine these days. Also kinda fun to beat the system.
Tango, thanks for the article.

Your post here is going to give me a lot of things to think about. I have a feeling I will be picking brains here with regards to the blends you're talking about. Sounds like I would be better off making my own diesel.

Wait, does that apply to biodiesel sold commercially as well? Or... should I not worry overmuch about this, until I have the time to test it out and such and so forth?

Edit: I ask because you said ALL fuels commercially sold is full of compromises.
KeiroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #29
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,170
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You can get by with off the shelf fuel. But if you want to improve it, it is relatively easy. More HP,mpg & less wear are fairly easy to come by using any number of blends including those above. Best bet is to read up and decide how deep you want to get into it.

Example: Propane fogging can cut your fuel costs quite a bit, but...you have to carry quite a bit and modify the intake. Everything has costs. The trick is to research what might work best for you, your goals and your situation, then go from there.

Personally, I just plan on adding a little 2-stroke oil.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #30
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Buy a bus. Convert it. Convert to biodiesel.

Biodiesel doesn't require any conversion.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.