Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #1

Year: 1997
Coachwork: blue bird
Engine: 366 dual fuel lp/gas
Rated Cap: 66 pass.
dual fuel bus

I just started down the conversion road my boss gifted me with a 97 blue bird 71 pass. bus that needs some wiring work wont pass inspection as a people hauler my question it is a dual fuel gas lpg does anyone know where to get information on the lp side the engine is a 366 fuel injected looks like the lp gear is intact and made by impco but so far their web site is no help thanks for any help

backwoods bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:40 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Cool !

Welcome !

Gifted is a great start !

Pictures, please- especially of the motor/CNG setup
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:09 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Have you checked with bluebird?

Also
http://www.centralstatesbus.com/Manuals.html

There is a difference between LPG and CNG.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:02 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I Google "bluebird dual fuel injection bus manual" and came up with a few pdf files. Both GMC / Chevrolet and Ford have propane systems. The GMC system is a OEM Bluebird option. The Ford is developed by ROUSH. The GMC system has a control module not unlike other fuel injection systems. My bus being older was a carburetor system (no control module) If the system was installed by the bus purchaser and a add on system it could have parts simular to both GMC and Ford. IMPCO is the a manufacturer of propane systems for anything from house hold systems, RV, to vehicle and industrial.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Check the side of the pot in the middle of the intake. There should be a cast name in the side somewhere.

Most LPG powered buses built before about 2000 model year were all converted with a kit. Most of those kits were produced by LPG companies like Suburban, Ferrell Gas, or AmeriGas. Most of their company stores have techs that can work on the systems.

Most conversions suffered from poor performance, lack of range, and difficulties in fueling.

It is better now with buses coming from the factory with purpose built engines that run on LPG.

Most propane conversions had the propane conversions taken off when the buses were sold. Part of what sold the propane conversion was you could transfer the system onto a newer vehicle. It sounded good during the sales pitch but rarely ever got installed on newer vehicles.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Do you have pictures of the system, under the hood and hoses at the propane tank?

Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #7

sorry for time gap

weather and work finally let me get the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
lp carb.jpg   motor.jpg   regulator and evaporator.jpg   tank 1.jpg   tank 2.jpg  

Old 02-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Very cool, thanks for sharing. Are the CNG tanks expired- will they fill them?That was always my big worry- price of replacing tanks.

re-cert?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #9

tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Very cool, thanks for sharing. Are the CNG tanks expired- will they fill them?That was always my big worry- price of replacing tanks.

re-cert?
this is a LPG set up as far as i know its a Missouri bus and for the longest time only places with natural gas was a few of the big city rest of us made do with LP I don't think there is a expiration date I have a 100 pound cylinder that dates back to the 50's only difference me and the guy that fills them is the empty weight is almost double newer tanks but that is something to check the bonus in this is it appears to have a vapor port so I can plumb in my stove and gener4ator lines with out the hassle of portable tanks what i am looking for is a manual or something that tells how to check and run the system bus runs good on gas
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #10

dual fuel

I just noticed in my own pictures the installers sticker all covered over in dirt that may send me down the road I need
Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Looks like my system. My tank has a tag welded to it that states date of manufacture, size, serial number. The system needs recertification often, here in Canada 5yr. One of the biggest problems is the hoses. If they are green with a woven look they will for sure not pass.

There should be a fuel filter that needs replacement. It looks like a paper biscuit.