Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Future-proofing for solar and wind

I'm planning to add some solar panels to my roof deck and possibly a wind generator, but that will have to wait until I'm further along in my build. For now, I'd like to add as many features to the structure that will allow me to add whatever I want at a later date.

So, I will add some conduit through the ceiling to bring in the wiring from the solar panels and wind generator, but I want to know where to route the wires. Should I plumb the conduit directly from the roof to the battery box under the floor? Or should the wires come into the interior, close to the inverter/charger? Or should I add a combination of conduits that go from the roof to the inverter and from the inverter to the batteries?

PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Future-proofing for solar and wind

What I was getting at is where do the wires from the solar panels need to go once they are installed? Do they connect directly to the batteries or do they connect to the inverter/charger? Same thing with the wind generator. Once I know where the wiring will go, I'll add conduit for that eventual installation.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
What I was getting at is where do the wires from the solar panels need to go once they are installed? Do they connect directly to the batteries or do they connect to the inverter/charger? Same thing with the wind generator. Once I know where the wiring will go, I'll add conduit for that eventual installation.
1)Normally the panels connect to a solar charge controller,this then connects to the battery(this will charge the batteries)

2)the 120v charger/convertor(120VAC to 12VDC) will connect to batteries to charge and supply 12V needs, like when hooked to shore power

3)the 120V invertor will connect to your batteries 12V and then invert to 120V to be used in the coach

does that answer question?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
1)Normally the panels connect to a solar charge controller,this then connects to the battery(this will charge the batteries)

2)the 120v charger/convertor(120VAC to 12VDC) will connect to batteries to charge and supply 12V needs, like when hooked to shore power

3)the 120V invertor will connect to your batteries 12V and then invert to 120V to be used in the coach

does that answer question?
Pretty much. Thank you.

I suppose the solar charge controller is mounted inside where it can be seen and not mounted inside the battery box?

I'm not worried about a converter as I have exactly zero 12V accessories that will be used when parked other than the cab dome light (and that has been replaced with a very nice marine LED unit). Everything else will run on 120VAC just like a regular home. A very small, well insulated home.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

solar panel controller should be mounted inside, and as much electrical wiring as you can either mounted inside or in a box or raceway to keep it out of the rain, etc... would be what i would do...
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Most solar chargers don't have a display on them(most) so out of the "elements" battery box is fine,I wouldny soak one ever in the elements.
If there is a display they like a "nice" enviroment to make them happy
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Okay, that's what I needed to know. Thanks!