Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: S1753
Engine: V8 6.9L
Gas Mileage

I Have A 1984 International S1753 And I’m Having Trouble Finding Out My Gas Mileage (MPG). Can Anyone Here Help With That?

Also, Has Anyone Here Driven From Missouri To California? If So, How Was The Trip?

NfiniteMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
The fuel economy for your vehicle, driving style and conditions is unique. The best way to find out is to drive it til it’s almost empty and then fill it up. Take note of your odometer and quantity of fuel added to the tank. Next time you’re almost empty take note of the odometer again, subtract the original odometer reading and divide by the quantity of fuel. Doing this several times will give you the best average.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Every trip is what you make it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
I used gps to calculate my millage as many odometers aren't completely accurate. Also a good idea to get an average through multiple tests. You don't have to run yr tank empty to calculate mpg's but the more you use, the more accurate the test will be. I get 9 freeway and 10 backroad driving. I would say 8-12 is likelly if it's a diesel
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
I used gps to calculate my millage as many odometers aren't completely accurate. Also a good idea to get an average through multiple tests. You don't have to run yr tank empty to calculate mpg's but the more you use, the more accurate the test will be. I get 9 freeway and 10 backroad driving. I would say 8-12 is likelly if it's a diesel
I bought a 'fuel saving' attachment one time - the claims made about it sounded too good to be true, but seeing as there was a money back guarantee, I figured I'd give it a try - first I topped up the gas tank on the crewcab and recorded the mileage - drove it for a couple of weeks, then filled it and recorded the mileage - next step was to have the gas saver added - drove it for 3 weeks, keeping track of the amount of fuel, then finally filled it up and recorded the mileage again - it was 2 or 3 MPG less than I'd be getting before the accessory was added - the mechanic that sold it to me was less than happy with the news, but did live up to the money back guarantee as far as the accessory went, but not the labour he had charged to install the piece of junk - the point of the story is that the way I kept track of the mileage was accurate over several weeks of driving on variable terrain and varying speeds, on highway and city driving - doing it that way it's not necessary to fill completely with every fill up, just the first and last, and gives a very accurate reading of your fuel mileage providing your speedometer is correct
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Yep, basically that's how fuel economy is calculated, miles driven divided by gallons used. The same is used for trucking companies that report fuel taxes (virtually all of them) with the added requirement of miles in each state (most of us will not have to do this).

So let's say I drive 1000 miles and use a total of 100 gallons, that maths out to 10 MPG. In my van, if I drive 800 miles on 40 gallons, that's 20 MPG. It works both ways, if you have an average fuel economy, you can estimate your fuel needs for a given trip, and you can use the national average for fuel costs (or in my case, I just round up from my local prices a bit). So if I'm planning a trip, I can use the GPS to get the round trip miles (usually rounded off to simplify the math), divide that by my estimated fuel mileage, multiply that by fuel cost. Example - 800 mile trip (each way), 1600 miles total, 20 MPG comes to 80 gallons, times $2.50 per gallon makes my travel budget $200. Since the numbers are rounded, I'd add a minimum of 10% but more likely I'd reserve $250 for the trip, since I might want to use my vehicle around town while I'm there.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Yep, basically that's how fuel economy is calculated, miles driven divided by gallons used. The same is used for trucking companies that report fuel taxes (virtually all of them) with the added requirement of miles in each state (most of us will not have to do this).

So let's say I drive 1000 miles and use a total of 100 gallons, that maths out to 10 MPG. In my van, if I drive 800 miles on 40 gallons, that's 20 MPG. It works both ways, if you have an average fuel economy, you can estimate your fuel needs for a given trip, and you can use the national average for fuel costs (or in my case, I just round up from my local prices a bit). So if I'm planning a trip, I can use the GPS to get the round trip miles (usually rounded off to simplify the math), divide that by my estimated fuel mileage, multiply that by fuel cost. Example - 800 mile trip (each way), 1600 miles total, 20 MPG comes to 80 gallons, times $2.50 per gallon makes my travel budget $200. Since the numbers are rounded, I'd add a minimum of 10% but more likely I'd reserve $250 for the trip, since I might want to use my vehicle around town while I'm there.
yes - trying to get an accurate reading after one fill up is almost impossible - 'have to spread it out over weeks of driving before it's anywhere near accurate
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Like everyone else said, take the miles you've driven divided by the gallons you put in the tank at fill up.

What's the rear gearing in your bus? I have the same bus as you, and with mine, if I keep it at 55 on a long highway drive, will eek out a little over 10 mpg. The second I push it towards redline to go 70 on the interstate, it drops to around 6.

You likely have the at545 transmission. If you do, you'll be miserable in the mountains. Take your time going up and coming down for sure. Stop as often as you can so you don't overheat the transmission or the brakes. Make sure the modulator cable for the transmission is adjusted correctly to help prolong your transmission life.

Your bus is naturally aspirated and will turn to a complete dog when you start to get up in elevation. If your plans were to drive on the highway/ in the mountains, you'd have been better off getting a different bus.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 65?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NfiniteMile View Post
I Have A 1984 International S1753 And I’m Having Trouble Finding Out My Gas Mileage (MPG). Can Anyone Here Help With That?

Also, Has Anyone Here Driven From Missouri To California? If So, How Was The Trip?
I drove from Maryland to Cali and back. The way back I was on 40 most of the time. Took me 5 days. Other than the heat of the Mojave and a few steep grades it wasn't bad. I tried to avoid the hottest part of the day but this was in the middle of summer. As mentioned take your time.
Stuntmanmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I get amazing gas mileage in my buses. 250k miles and I have not burned a drop of gas....

We did burn plenty of diesel though.

My first bus had an 8v71 motor and weighed over 42k pounds. I got a very consistent 7.25 mpg. I kept a little notepad in my map pocket and recorded all fuel and miles.

My Bluebird, so far, has been 9-10.25mpg. I don't have very many miles so far so I don't have long term numbers.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I get amazing gas mileage in my buses. 250k miles and I have not burned a drop of gas....

We did burn plenty of diesel though.

My first bus had an 8v71 motor and weighed over 42k pounds. I got a very consistent 7.25 mpg. I kept a little notepad in my map pocket and recorded all fuel and miles.

My Bluebird, so far, has been 9-10.25mpg. I don't have very many miles so far so I don't have long term numbers.
I also keep a log of every fuel fill up. Quantity, cost, mileage, mpg.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I also keep a log of every fuel fill up. Quantity, cost, mileage, mpg.
Warped minds think alike
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote