Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Solar

Who could discuss this subject. You have all the answers. I submit to your information........Frank Kohler diesel genset 7KW is great....

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Just to be clear, I am NOT trying to bash diesel generators, or generators of any kind!

I am merely trying to point out the fact that solar is not as cost prohibitive as it may seem to some people. I think it is a much closer and harder decision then one that can be solved by dollars.. I know for a fact that I was replying to somebody who doesn't have practical real world experience with solar power. If they did, they would report back different things. I am 100% positive that if you were able to get a consensus from the people on this forum who have chosen to rely on solar power as their only means of electrical production you would see a vast vast majority of positive reviews. This answer is not clear cut by any means, I think with every day that passes solar becomes more appealing and more economically viable way for us to live off the grid and still meet our energy needs
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Show me a diesel generator that has a 20 year operating life span like a solar panel does, & I would be very very impressed.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
Old 02-06-2016, 03:38 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

All machines are meant to be worked on as they wear out, including solar panels. Show me a solar panel that lasted for 20 years. Better yet, show me a crappy consumer grade inverter or battery that can last more than a year. '

You see, the published MTBF figure is an ideal number, largely depends on who does the calculation, which variables are used, further twisted and rigged by marketing people who most likely having difficult time using high school level math. Let a marketing people do a highly complex multi-dimensional calculation requires through understanding of mathematics only taught in advanced degree programs, you gotta be kidding me.
kwang_yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Politics and global diplomacy or lack thereof are not where I was hoping this would go.

The inverter in my bus has been working for me for over 4 years--this is the second bus it's been installed in. Thats 4 years of continuous duty. The solar panels on my parents house are almost 10 years old and still work very very well. My charge controller has been working continuously for the last 10 months. Its not all a big scam--the technology is great and only getting better and cheaper!

A difference of opinion I can respect. But you dont have the experience to back up your claims because they are false. This forum is about spreading knowledge and not paranoia.

Please, don't bring geopolitical conflict and Buffet into a conversation about solar power unless it really makes sense.

Im not looking to start a pissing match, but I have 0 tolerance for misinformation and fear mongering.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #26
Bus Nut

What kind of maintenance does a PV panel require other than cleaning?

The answer is none. There are no moving parts. Maybe a diode will wear out or fail...that's very rare.

I feel like I just got trolled lol

I need better self control
Old 02-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post

The answer is none. There are no moving parts. Maybe a diode will wear out or fail...that's very rare.

I'll add that for some of us in the more extreme latitudes there is an occasional angle tilt to be done. Every couple of months, anyway. I've also brushed the snow off more than I've ever cleaned them: 3 times so far!

The solar panel pros certainly do outweigh the cons. Quiet, dependable, no daily/weekly fuel refills (and the associated mess), no exhaust smell.
I don't understand previous poster's thoughts of panels being stolen. It's far easier and stealthier to undo bolts under a bus to remove a generator than it is to climb a roof and walk away with a solar panel.. Especially when they measure close to 4'x8'.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i have panels that were made in 1980, they still produce more power than there rated voltage. my son and i live off grid. we plan on doing the same in the bus. wouldnt do it any other way!
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Don't be so naive. How do you think electricity is generated? It's the movement of electron that creates current.

How do you think poorly made transistors in Chinese sweatshop often blown away prematurely? It's the moving of electron inside the semiconductor that creates heats and often interfering with foreign particle that creates excessive heat that breaks down conductive channel in the semiconductor.

You have slightest idea why diode fails, or you know something about electronics that you want to further discuss in detail?

Don't be LOLing at your own xxxxxxxx, because you make yourself the biggest laughing stock of the world.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Look man, Ive built a number of off grid solar setups and all of which are still working the same today as they were the day I installed them. 5 in buses and 3 in vans. Some very small and some with 1800 watts of panel power! Everyone who uses them is sold on the idea of solar power, and I can find panels for $.70 a watt which helps keep the cost down.

I have no scholarly background in electrical engineering but I am a professional audio engineer and I can understand electrical concepts very well.

Ok electrons are moving through wires and yeah, I understand that components fail but it is very rare and its never happened to me. They have warranties if I need it. Id take the wear and tear on a transistor set over an entire extra engine anyday.

If you want to rely on noisy and complex machinery based on fossil fuels and antiquated technology, that is your perogative, but don't tell me a system I have nothing but great experience with is bad--that isnt grounded in reality.
What is your solar experience?
Old 02-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #31
Bus Nut

I hope the mods see your behavior. This is crazy
Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
I hope the mods see your behavior. This is crazy
I'll second that.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:24 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Looks like the rant where you called me a bastard was deleted....
Old 02-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #34
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
I considered Solar Power but decided that for the expense of Solar and the wattage it provided, I was better off going with an inverter generator. They provide instant power and if you get a good brand name one, are pretty quiet to operate. Plus they provide more than enough power to run the important things on a bus-lights, a/c, mini fridge, tv, blu ray, and even my portable ice maker...
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang_yi View Post
Don't be so naive. How do you think electricity is generated? It's the movement of electron that creates current.

How do you think poorly made transistors in Chinese sweatshop often blown away prematurely? It's the moving of electron inside the semiconductor that creates heats and often interfering with foreign particle that creates excessive heat that breaks down conductive channel in the semiconductor.

You have slightest idea why diode fails, or you know something about electronics that you want to further discuss in detail?

Don't be LOLing at your own xxxxxxxx, because you make yourself the biggest laughing stock of the world.
You're losing credibility quickly, Kwang yi. Personal attacks detract from any real information you may provide.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #36
Bus Nut

I think the mods deleted it but he literally said he felt sorry for my father and that I was something along the lines of an entitiled bastard.

Which is crazy. I wish it was still up for others to see. Totally inappropriate and came straight from left field. I have no respect for that kind of behaviour.

If you think Im wrong about solar, thats fine. But that was a straight up personal attack. I would be happy if he went back to wherever he was trolling before he came to our forum.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
You're losing credibility quickly, Kwang yi. Personal attacks detract from any real information you may provide.
Your credibility comes from sharing knowledge, not by playing politics.

Someone of no knowledge telling, "I have 0 tolerance," I'm done with this stupid forum. I spend enough hours trying to fix badly published information, a personal opinion of how things are made with flawed and uneducated knowledge, and you people cannot accept the truth, truth based on 200 years of scientific knowledge that is widely taught in public high school level physics,.. I'm done.

People get pissed when I do not follow an advice that has nothing do to with question posted, I'm done.

My time is precious, I don't need keep reading posts that is wasting my time, that is becoming depressing for me to swallow because these kind of information should be taught in public school, and people of no basic education should be stopped spreading false science.

I'm worry to death how our children is falling behind academically. This is becoming too depressing, like watching snake oil salesman is screwing everyone around me, and I'm sitting helpless watching these phonies spreading toxic air.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

You LOSE credibility by constantly using fallacious ad hominem arguments. No one will care to read your posts if you keep it up. That's not political. That's not scientific. It's social. You seem to enjoy ostracizing yourself from the folks who are engaging you on this forum.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Well, I took honors physics in high school and I studied physics in college for a year. Im a smart guy, I promise!

We still never found out if youve ever installed solar panels!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Charlie is doin just fine in the world. Living my dream!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote