Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Lol thanks East Coast you gotta get out to CO someday and pay a visit!
We could put on some Dead from the archives and turn some wrenchies for an afternoon

Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
For sure man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Mr. Yi sounds very similar to someone else that went for a compulsory vacation from the forum..........

Just my observation........
Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Mr. Yi sounds very similar to someone else that went for a compulsory vacation from the forum..........

Just my observation........
My thoughts also.....
Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #45

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Don't think so but we will find out soon enough.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Its been really great on here lately, for the most part.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Solar panels NO Wind generator YES

Wind generators are good, very good. Cost is reasonable and very cheap as a project. The only method better making electricity is falling water.
Lots of kits available.....Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Falling water would be my dream if I can ever find land that was suitable for it. Massive amounts of power....shoot you could even make a mill--now that would be cool.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar t444
Rated Cap: 71 miserable kids
Gentlemen, gentlemen. Let's all agree to disagree. Solar is good for some, not for others. I personally will not have it on my bus (the way I see it now at least.) I have some experience with solar and I'm not overly impressed just for the fact that you have to have large battery bank to do much of anything besides turn a light on. As we all know batteries are heavy, and when you add all that weight up, a gas/diesel generator would be lighter. Not to mention the room they take up, plus the real estate of the panels, charge controller, inverter, and wiring.

Something else to ponder... on a hot summer day, where would you park the bus where it would get the best charge? In direct sunlight. Where would be the worst place to park an all metal vehicle with lots of windows? In direct sunlight.

It's not for everyone but every situation/bus is different. Solar just may be the answer you're looking for. Or it may be you're kryptonite. Research, research, research. And if you chose solar, consult a professional electrician (or a few) to size your system accordingly. Do it once, do it right.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #50
Bus Nut

I dont know anyone who's gone overweight on their skoolie. And I know from experience that a few thousand pounds on a full size rig is barely noticable.
My batteries weight 480lbs. The panels weigh another 450. Not enough to matter on a skoolie.
Now, parking in the sun in the summer for power? That's a fair critique, but, my roof is white and is almost covered in panels--enough in fact to run ac all day without ever running a generator. The fuel tank i run off for electricity will never run out, make noise, or need an oil change.
What was your solar experience that didnt impress you? I bet it was poorly engineered.
Me and my gal have a vw van that we camp in. A 150 watt panel and deep cycle battery is enough to run our fridge and lights and keep our starting battery charged for as long as we've ever camped (2weeks). If thats not impressive, maybe my bar is low. I think too many people dont have enough understanding of how to design a solar system to really see it's benefits, or they expect too much and are disappointed when they cant power their space heater from their harbor freight panels and a deep cycle from wallmart. Ok maybe an exaggeration....
Everyone Ive helped is in love with their setups, everything from a single panel on a van to 10 panels on a bus. This technology is amazing. I can live off grid with no refueling for 4 months--and that's just 2, 20# tanks of propane for my stove.
But gennies are cheap and reliable, mostly, and loud, unless you spring for the real good ones. And most need batteries to work anyway unless you want to run them everytime you turn something on.
Im gonna preach preach the gospel of PV. Generators embarass me.
Just my .02
Old 02-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I'm on board with Charles --- Solar has indeed come a very long way in the past 5 or so years. Prices have dropped, efficiency is up and batteries have gotten better. The trick (as he noted) is to match the system to your needs, budget and expectations. My shorty only has so much roof area so I am hoping to get by with maybe a couple of 100 watt units. But then, being a shorty, it's electrical needs are not the same as a 40 footer. Still doing homework but have more or less committed to using three 150 AH AGM house batteries. At least, that is the space I built in.

And check with Dred. He runs his 110v, dorm fridge around the clock off a single 100 and single battery as I recall. I'd like to do the same for my 12v freezer/fridge and some LED lighting. But if you want to provide 100% of the juice for your fridge, A/C, microwave, toaster oven and two hair dryers all at once...well, good luck. That's a whole 'nuther story.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar t444
Rated Cap: 71 miserable kids
Charles - That is great to hear that you did it right. You sized your system accordingly and it sounds like it works great for you, which it should since I'm sure you have a good sum invested in it. That's not a dig at you, people need to realize that to do it right you need to make an adequate investment.

Tango - I know what you mean. People are always trying to squeeze blood from a stone. They shouldn't be disappointed when they can't run all their "needs" off of a sub-grade panel and battery setup.

My skoolie will not have solar because i do not spend a lot of time inside whatever camper i'm using. I go someplace to do something. IE go out on the boat, four wheel for hours at a time, stay around the campfire, etc. I'm not looking to make a Mobile Best Buy exhibit lol. It's an expense of which I would never realize the gain.

This thread seemed to stir up some emotion in people. This is not part of the greater good. Let's see if we can get back to sharing ideas, pictures, demonstrations, and experiences.