Old 02-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #51
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'm on board with Charles --- Solar has indeed come a very long way in the past 5 or so years. Prices have dropped, efficiency is up and batteries have gotten better. The trick (as he noted) is to match the system to your needs, budget and expectations. My shorty only has so much roof area so I am hoping to get by with maybe a couple of 100 watt units. But then, being a shorty, it's electrical needs are not the same as a 40 footer. Still doing homework but have more or less committed to using three 150 AH AGM house batteries. At least, that is the space I built in.

And check with Dred. He runs his 110v, dorm fridge around the clock off a single 100 and single battery as I recall. I'd like to do the same for my 12v freezer/fridge and some LED lighting. But if you want to provide 100% of the juice for your fridge, A/C, microwave, toaster oven and two hair dryers all at once...well, good luck. That's a whole 'nuther story.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #52
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar t444
Rated Cap: 71 miserable kids
Charles - That is great to hear that you did it right. You sized your system accordingly and it sounds like it works great for you, which it should since I'm sure you have a good sum invested in it. That's not a dig at you, people need to realize that to do it right you need to make an adequate investment.

Tango - I know what you mean. People are always trying to squeeze blood from a stone. They shouldn't be disappointed when they can't run all their "needs" off of a sub-grade panel and battery setup.

My skoolie will not have solar because i do not spend a lot of time inside whatever camper i'm using. I go someplace to do something. IE go out on the boat, four wheel for hours at a time, stay around the campfire, etc. I'm not looking to make a Mobile Best Buy exhibit lol. It's an expense of which I would never realize the gain.

This thread seemed to stir up some emotion in people. This is not part of the greater good. Let's see if we can get back to sharing ideas, pictures, demonstrations, and experiences.
My pappy said son you're gonna make people fuss if you don't stop drivin' that hot rod bus.
D.J. Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote