Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3l Powerstroke (chipped)
Is this stove to big for my bus?

Hello, long time reader first time poster. So I just recently scooped up a 2001 E450 5 window short bus. Im looking to heat it with a wood stove because when I get out of school I want to go to Canada skiing for a year or two. I will shortly be starting a build thread in the short bus section. Im not close to the point where I can install a stove but im driving past where this one is located 2hrs from me tomorrow should I pick it up. However I feel like this stove might be overkill. What do you guys think?

Here it is
wood stove

I believe this is the same stove..
Century- Wood Stove Model S244E

GreenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Welcome to skoolie

no idea if it is too big, where we go and travel it is....we hate cold though

thermal mass helps so some build thick walls for the stoves back/side

others will chime in I am sure...again welcome
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 350
Rated Cap: 20 something
that's a bit big for a shorty. I plan on installing an antique Spark wood stove in mine. where I live it would be large enough to heat a full size bus. you could probably build a small stove or look for a Sardine, Navigator or other boat type wood stove. video of a Spark being used to heat an rv> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=TcmWAQJxrlY
pannebreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

some of the best of the best of the tiny wood stoves. https://www.tinywoodstove.com/small-stove-reviews/

there are also quite a few, highly efficient models coming out of the UK for a lot cheaper than the US models even with the shipping expenses.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
I just put roughly the same size in my full size bus. It was upper 40s when I tested it the other night and with a relatively small fire I was able to get the bus interior up to 90+ degrees with all the windows open. If you're going to be up in the canadian rockies you prob wont regret going with an oversized stove. Mine seems to be good for about a 5-7 hour burn on a full firebox. If it burns you out just build a smaller fire next time
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Good size, a fire can always he made smaller but a stove can not be made bigger.
I just installed a propane fireplace and i had to turn it off tonight because it was getting so hot
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:35 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i had that exact stove, paid almost 500 bucks at menards for it. its a good stove with secondary burn chamber. snatch that up.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all of the input guys! I looked up the sardines and they are very sweet but out of my budget. pannebreaux where did you get your spark from? Like I said i will also be starting a build thread on the shorty forum very soon.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThunder View Post
Thanks for all of the input guys! I looked up the sardines and they are very sweet but out of my budget. pannebreaux where did you get your spark from? Like I said i will also be starting a build thread on the shorty forum very soon.
I won it on an ebay auction a few years ago. a Spark stove would be a bit small for Canadian winters. the sardines are a bit pricey, but the Fatsco stoves are fairly reasonable. I had some plans for building a couple of designs that are made from plate, square tubing or large pipe i'll try to hunt down and post later today. this one that's made with square tubing that could easily be made larger and was built without a welder> Duckworks - Homemade Wood Stove For a Small Boat
Old 10-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #10

I like the larger doors, you do not have to cut wood so small.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
FWIW: Ship woodstove Boat woodstove

If you install too large a stove you will sacrifice some efficiency. Trying to maintain a tiny fire in a big stove is not ideal. The stove you are looking at will plain run you out of your short bus if you build a good fire in it.

The Dickenson wood stoves are another to look at. If you do look at Dickenson be sure and shop them hard. I have seen the same stove vary from less than $600 to over $1100 from different sellers.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I bought a stove! After your guys input I wanted something smaller.

Here it is: GreenThunder Conversion by mccolgan4731 | Photobucket

Got it for 80 bucks on CL. As you can see from the pictures (tell me if the link doesnt work this is my first time using photobucket) the main cylindrical burner section of it is about 9.5" in diameter and 7.5" tall it then has a shallow area above the main cylinder part that is an additional 3-4" above the cylinder part.

I am still not that close to installing it.. I need to finish my floor. Plan on having the floor finished next weekend Oct 21-23. I might have my cousin who helped me weld new sheet metal on the floor build me a steel stand for this stove.

Here are some concerns I have..

1) Do you guys think this stove will be warm enough? Cant wait for the temps to drop to fire it up.

2) If I take the legs off this stove and mount it roughly 2 feet in the air will just the top half of the bus get warm or will the heat disperse to the floor nicely?

3) I picked up a DuraVent DuraPlus triple walled chimney pipe 36" long on CL brand new in the box for $30!! (usually about $130 at home depot) This pipe has a 6inch inner diameter. Will I be able to use 6" stove pipe with this stove or is that too wide? I know nothing about how chimney pipe diameter would effect the draw on a small stove like this.

Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone have any thoughts on these concerns??
Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
It will heat up the bus. As the hot air rises it starts a convection. The trick is to have super good control and and not use the open flame to heat the air with but to heat the stove and radiate your heat from there exhausting the moisture in the propane out of the bus so its no condensing or raining inside. Its the difference from dry heat to wet heat. I have the Dickeson model. super spendy 1" STAINLESS Exhaust CHIMNEY Usually on its lowest setting in Washington when its freezing its comfortable with the ability to blast you out. Its mounted on a wall up a ways and really creates great air movement with some air always go up the flew drawing in of course cold air but fresh air.

That's going to be a nice stove.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote