Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Rated Cap: 29,000
I've driven the propane powered (Ford/Roush engine, 6.9?) Thomas buses our district has. They use them for trips mostly. Certainly higher revving than the diesels and less torque. Not sure what tranny they have, but they like to shift a lot.... No engine braking either. Fuel mileage is around 4-5, but the fuel is cheaper so it works out to be the same or a little cheaper than diesel, and cleaner too.

We saw a few older propane buses for sale and the ones around 15 years old stated that the fuel tanks had aged out and needed to be replaced. Not sure of the laws around this, but something to check out.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: CHEVROLET C60 just under 19700 lbs body#B10353
Engine: 350 ci on propane
Rated Cap: 48
I have a 1974 Chevrolet bluebird 350ci on propane. Engine will run cleaner, last longer, mileage will be about the same. It takes planning to find fuel stations. The propane system needs regular inspections. Running propane in the cold takes special setup.

It's hard to find an automotive mechanic certified for propane, but lots of forklift mechanics.
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
I've driven the propane powered (Ford/Roush engine, 6.9?) Thomas buses our district has. They use them for trips mostly. Certainly higher revving than the diesels and less torque. Not sure what tranny they have, but they like to shift a lot.... No engine braking either. Fuel mileage is around 4-5, but the fuel is cheaper so it works out to be the same or a little cheaper than diesel, and cleaner too.

We saw a few older propane buses for sale and the ones around 15 years old stated that the fuel tanks had aged out and needed to be replaced. Not sure of the laws around this, but something to check out.
shouldn't be any significant difference in engine braking after a propane conversion - one of my vans was dual gas/propane ( throw a switch ) and I couldn't notice any difference in power between the two fuels - I also had a 1 ton flat deck on propane and as long as the service station was able to keep their pump going, I could fill my tanks in Yellow Knife's -40 weather - I carried a couple of 20# or 30# bottles and a siphon hose in case propane outlets were further apart than my truck could drive on a fill up - had to use them several times during my trips north and across the Canadian prairies
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote