Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
propane powered 454 bus

anyone have experience with propane for large vehicles? -

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
I've driven the propane powered (Ford/Roush engine, 6.9?) Thomas buses our district has. They use them for trips mostly. Certainly higher revving than the diesels and less torque. Not sure what tranny they have, but they like to shift a lot.... No engine braking either. Fuel mileage is around 4-5, but the fuel is cheaper so it works out to be the same or a little cheaper than diesel, and cleaner too.

We saw a few older propane buses for sale and the ones around 15 years old stated that the fuel tanks had aged out and needed to be replaced. Not sure of the laws around this, but something to check out.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I have a 1974 Chevrolet bluebird 350ci on propane. Engine will run cleaner, last longer, mileage will be about the same. It takes planning to find fuel stations. The propane system needs regular inspections. Running propane in the cold takes special setup.

It's hard to find an automotive mechanic certified for propane, but lots of forklift mechanics.
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
I've driven the propane powered (Ford/Roush engine, 6.9?) Thomas buses our district has. They use them for trips mostly. Certainly higher revving than the diesels and less torque. Not sure what tranny they have, but they like to shift a lot.... No engine braking either. Fuel mileage is around 4-5, but the fuel is cheaper so it works out to be the same or a little cheaper than diesel, and cleaner too.

We saw a few older propane buses for sale and the ones around 15 years old stated that the fuel tanks had aged out and needed to be replaced. Not sure of the laws around this, but something to check out.
shouldn't be any significant difference in engine braking after a propane conversion - one of my vans was dual gas/propane ( throw a switch ) and I couldn't notice any difference in power between the two fuels - I also had a 1 ton flat deck on propane and as long as the service station was able to keep their pump going, I could fill my tanks in Yellow Knife's -40 weather - I carried a couple of 20# or 30# bottles and a siphon hose in case propane outlets were further apart than my truck could drive on a fill up - had to use them several times during my trips north and across the Canadian prairies
Old 03-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
- one of my vans was dual gas/propane ( throw a switch ) and I couldn't notice any difference in power between the two fuels
^...That would be the only way to tour in a vehicle that uses propane as a propellant!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just for the record...

Propane = 91,600 btu's per gal
Gasoline = 115,000 btu's per gal
Diesel Fuel = 139,000 btu's per gal
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:

should only be a matter of changing the valve and a fresh certification and fresh paint to cover the scuffs and spots of rust, if any
Old 03-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:

should be almost the same as driving the same engine on gas - difference in power should be hardly noticeable - the factory conversion is preferable because they have different valves that last longer when running propane
Old 03-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

If you were building a propane engine from scratch I believe you could increase the compression ratio, as I recall from 15 years ago the octane is over 100, but do your own research.
Napabavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:14 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
I've wondered if you can convert a propane engine to run off a wood gasifier easily a guy on youtube runs his pickup off wood gas he gets 3500 miles a cord lol
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
http://wiki.gekgasifier.com/Biomass-...nversion-rules you didnt mention wood gas @ 2lbs biomass ~ 10,000 btu! its a cool system well used too back during ww1 and ww2!
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey's pipe dream View Post
I've wondered if you can convert a propane engine to run off a wood gasifier easily a guy on youtube runs his pickup off wood gas he gets 3500 miles a cord lol
this article talks about 'town' gas derived from coal, but during the hungry 30's, farmers used methane derived from manure using the same types of bags on the roof to hold the gas as pictured here

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011...-vehicles.html
Old 03-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey's pipe dream View Post
Build a trailer that looks like the coal car behind an old locomotive.
Napabavarian is offline   Reply With Quote