Old 08-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Propane powered bus - leave propane or convert to diesel?

I'm looking at buying a bus that is currently powered by propane. Owner says it would be relatively inexpensive to convert to diesel but that I can find propane fill stations across the country.

We currently live in a motorhome and travel full-time. We mostly dry camp in BLM or NFS areas and rarely go to "big" cities.

I've been researching but not finding a lot of information. Are propane fill stations very readily available? Can most large propane companies (thinking something like Amerigas, etc.) fill the tanks? Is it better to convert to diesel?

If better to convert to diesel, does anyone have a link on what needs to be done to do the conversion and a guess as to how much it would cost to convert?

Thanks!!
lifeinleftfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Propane is not usually sold in places like 24hr gas stations. Separate fuel companies or places like TSC will only help you during business hours. So that issue of availability would be a concern.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
"Owner says it would be relatively inexpensive to convert to diesel". Relative to what? Repowering the bus with a different engine is never inexpensive! Unless you plan on never being more than a few miles from home with it, buy a diesel bus.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Diesel buses and trucks are regularly converted to run on propane or CNG the largest fleets in the world have "LP diesels" or "CNG diesels" running daily in their fleets the conversion is fairly simple there or back. Most places that fill tanks larger than BBQ tanks can fuel your unit including all the majors most co-ops TSC and almost every small town has a propane supplier.The only real consideration is cost LP or CNG is cleaner than diesel and doesn't jack up the newer diesels as bad if at all but if I remember the btu avail is slightly lower than diesel but don't quote me on that if my diesel was LP I would leave it that way. Gene
Old 08-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 392 international V-8
I thought propane ran with much lower compression more like a gas engine not a diesel? I know diesels can be built to run on propane or LNG but thought they were built with low compression?
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 392 international V-8
forgot need some spark plugs too for propane, so they would have to go away....
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #7

Thanks, guys! We eventually decided to go with a diesel van-chassis bus instead of the propane conventional bus. The Wife thought it would be easier for her to drive the van chassis bus and decided she didn't want anything as big as the conventional bus
lifeinleftfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, propane conversion, propane powered