Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77
Stan's Wood/Biomass oven...idea phase.

Hey everyone so I am out of experimental phase and into rough planning phase, for a biomass/wood stove. I chose the rocket stove basic idea- mainly because of the ease of operation- the small size they can be, and efficency. So with all that in mind here are the rough plans. My main concen was size- I want it small- oven area 18"x18" just big enough for pizza heh heh. The whole thing being 22"x22"x36" outside dim.

Here's the pic.

Bigger version of pichttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4KiHaO2geH...stove+idea.jpg

Any suggestions or ideas welcome...not sure on the oval shape yet- depends on weather I can find a form to bend the sheet steel with.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Stan's Wood/Biomass oven...idea phase.

Bio-mass being anything that is dry and will burn. Husks, bark, wood, leaves, pellets ect.
If you've ever been around the old cook stoves of yesteryear, you'll note some of those designs in mine. Many of those had sand in them as insulator, without much in the way of heat retention in mind. I had a fantastic cookstove/oven in a house in VA- beauiful. Proofing box, oven, range, toaster, and warming drawers. I could cook and bake in that way better than my propane oven. I loved it- of course it weighted lord-only-knows, and it was huge. So I have used some of the ideas from that in my design. Anyone who bakes bread knows how important temp, and timing is. I'm a cook, so I've based most of the design around cooking. Also I want to be able to carry the thing outside in summer for use outdoors.

Yes the sand is a heat sink. I may be wrong about the heat out put- but the idea being to radiate heat primarily out the top. Sand being only on the sides rear, there should be nice mix of start-up and heat retention. I've built an old italian style pizza/bread oven, before so I'm hoping the curve works the same in mine. I'd like to find fire brick to line the bottom of the oven with that would be the best for hearth bread.
A bare metal floor with a fire under it would heat the oven up way to fast, and cool just as fast. Probably be some issues with warping after time. The sand will serve to heat and cool both sides slow as to not subject the welds to to much stress.

BTU output is going to be the real experiment. We have found even the little stove we have now is plenty. Too much in fact, a smaller more compact stove would do the trick. Believe me even in a few single digit nights with the wind howling across the oklahoma plains- we've had to open the top hatch for a few minutes to cool down. I learned real quick how muc fire you need to stay toasty. 9 sticks the size of your forearm will do you all night...

I also have one of these babies
A fan that uses the heat off of the stove to turn. Ecofan Airplus Heat-Powered Fan for Wood Stoves, Model# 802CA-KBX
It will run you about 150-200 $ but well worth it. We lived where during bad weather you could be without electricty for a week or more. That little dude helps move the heat.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Skoolie

I found a picture of the exact stove I had- mine was not in this good of shape- but it worked great.

The fire box is on the lower left, it was 18' deep and 9"x9" square. It'd heat my kitchen, and front hallway- kitchen was 20'x20' hallway was 6' wide x 35' long. With 10' celings- 600 some odd sq. ft. You'd have to feed it regularly, for sure if you were using it for heat. My fire box is the same size, and will have the same configuration. We'll see what happens... have a good basis from the experience of using a stove for heat now.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Looks like a workable plan
Make sure that your firebox is built of thick enough material and/or reinforced so that the weight of the sand won't cave it in when the fire gets hot and the steel gets to the plastic stage. At one time I built a large stove to keep a wellpump and related plumbing from freezing, i used a 40 gal cold water storage tank in the bottom of a 275 gal fuel oil drum and filled the outer drum with sand to act as a heatsink to keep the plumbing from freezing at night. The concept worked great, the first generation/prototype had some structural issues
Make your firebox door out of 2 pieces of steel laminated together, take a piece of 3/8 plate for the front of the firebox, cut the opening in it, clean/grind the donut and the hole real well, then take a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 plate larger than the opening, clamp it to the stove front and install your hinges and latch, then fit the cutout from the hole on the door and install it so it fits, install a piece of rope gasket and you have an airtight door that won't warp.
For the bottom of the oven use firebrick or refractory cement so you don't have to deal with sand in your bread.
Depending on size/diameter the ovals could be made from pieces of pipe, finding large diameter pipe in short lengths can be problematic, but check with your local mechanical and underground contracters they might have some ''drops'' in their yards.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Skoolie

You and me both Smitty- actually with all the features my stove had it was as small as it was going to get. This idea isn't in stone yet, I have been messing around with the old cookstove idea. My biggest issue is space. Now that we are living in the bus we have learned how important the use of space is. I have made some mistakes here and there- hopefully they will be fixed soon enough. The space allotment for the stove is 24"x24" that is what would work out the best. The other big consideration is Pizza- I am a pizza nut, I make my own from scratch. So I need a baking oven that will take my 18" deepdish pans... I'll try to post some pics of the bus insides, and the where and hows soon. Right now we're snowed in from the icestorm and the camera needs batteries... need solar battery recharger and batts. Which I have an idea for that, but thats a new thread.

Thanks for that door idea- Paul. That is something I have been worried about, how to keep the door from warping. That will do the trick, I have a guy here that is a master fabricator welder, has been for 30 years. He will be helping me build the stove. I'm not sure about the ovals myself. Reason is for draft purposes the inner and outer area needs to be as close to paralell (spelling) as possible. I have all the steel I'd ever want, pipes, sheet, rods, and flat bar. He's got the basic idea- suggests a simpler straight angles. I have a more refined drawing I'll scan and post. The straight panel idea looks even better, kind of reminds me of a barn roof look.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I have always said to have 3 or 4 sets of batteries for a device. One is always in the device, then you have several backups. One is always in the charger, and a backup to keep with the device. The forth is just a spare cause one battery will crap out when you cant afford to replace it... Make sure to get one of those Pulsing Battery Chargers. They will keep your batteries in top shape and minimize the memory effects.

But, I cant express how nice it is to be able to pull out another battery and keep going when you otherwise would have to stop. If your using multiple batteries in sets, mark your sets. When a battery dies, replace the set, and use the other battery(ies) for other uses till they finally die. There are always flashlights/remotes/timers that need batteries...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

One of the local hospitals used to have a beeper paging system for "crash crews' and others. Every shift there would be an all-call test with an announcement like: "Today is a white battery day." That way, the batteries were sure to be rotated properly. Someone was thinking.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Skoolie

I love to bake breads of all sorts. Biscuits are a speciality of mine...

Oh I could start a whole thread based on what I'd do differently. My first thing I'd do is not have only 3 weeks to finish- but hey you do wth what you have heh heh. The bus has been an on going project an is still going... the experience has been both a nightmare and a dream.
We just haven't been out to the store for more AAs. Anyway- I'll get some scans done of the new refined plans, then maybe get some steel going in the next week or so.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckf00t
Hey everyone so I am out of experimental phase and into rough planning phase, for a biomass/wood stove. I chose the rocket stove basic idea- mainly because of the ease of operation- the small size they can be, and efficency. So with all that in mind here are the rough plans. My main concen was size- I want it small- oven area 18"x18" just big enough for pizza heh heh. The whole thing being 22"x22"x36" outside dim.

Here's the pic.

Bigger version of pichttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4KiHaO2geH...stove+idea.jpg

Any suggestions or ideas welcome...not sure on the oval shape yet- depends on weather I can find a form to bend the sheet steel with.
You mean some thing like this stove ?
Attached Thumbnails
Haws_0112.jpg   Haws_0111.jpg   Haws_0110.jpg  

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

How's this project coming along? I'm working on a design for a small, portable (one person can carry) one to use as a cook stove. Not sure I'd place it inside since there is so little ceiling clearance and would need a exhaust for gasses.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckf00t
I found a picture of the exact stove I had- mine was not in this good of shape- but it worked great.

The fire box is on the lower left, it was 18' deep and 9"x9" square. It'd heat my kitchen, and front hallway- kitchen was 20'x20' hallway was 6' wide x 35' long. With 10' celings- 600 some odd sq. ft. You'd have to feed it regularly, for sure if you were using it for heat. My fire box is the same size, and will have the same configuration. We'll see what happens... have a good basis from the experience of using a stove for heat now.

I have never seen this kind of wood stoves before. It is very classic in physique but very unique too. Is it come from Europe?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Is it come from Europe?
it should. i saw stoves like this one in Marseilles