Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
That's funny my wife brought one of these presses home the other day. I never seen one before and was little skeptical about it. I will look into this solution. Thanks for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I will definitely be carrying one with me.

They make the best coffee that I have found and you can heat the water on your propane or wood stove. Great for boondocking.

On that topic... Earlier someone mentioned the Keurig coffee maker..... I stayed with family that has one of those for 5 days. I really don't get the attraction. Too much work for one cup of coffee and it wasn't great coffee.

Just my $0.02
They are outstanding, a pour over is pretty sweet piece of kit as well. they permit you to pour straight into your mug, a slight bit easier to clean (however you need filters) and give you a good drip coffee. But I love my press, I kind of press it down just an inch or so to let it "steep" a bit before I fully press it.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #82
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
wood stove

I am new to having a wood stove in my bus. Does anyone have any issues while boone docking with complaints about the smoke or fire while parked? I am wondering about rest areas and wal-marts etc.
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #83
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
So far only one complaint. That was in a storage yard before I moved here to finish building. liability issues but stove was working fine so I wasn't worried. And the vehicles around me there weren't terribly valuable but insured so I never gave it a second thought. They also didn't like my woodpile on display. Said I was only allowed to put 4 wheels on the rental space, nothing else.
That was the end of cold weather building for the time, now I got room and no neighbours, but still have trouble getting enthused about working outside putting on my siding. And just getting too dang old...

John
Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
So far only one complaint. That was in a storage yard before I moved here to finish building. liability issues but stove was working fine so I wasn't worried. And the vehicles around me there weren't terribly valuable but insured so I never gave it a second thought. They also didn't like my woodpile on display. Said I was only allowed to put 4 wheels on the rental space, nothing else.
That was the end of cold weather building for the time, now I got room and no neighbours, but still have trouble getting enthused about working outside putting on my siding. And just getting too dang old...

John
Too cold......no such thing my friend cotton liner gloves (thee cheapy one from the hardware $6/doz) and a thicker jack shirt and all is well

Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #85
Bus Nut

Quote:
I am new to having a wood stove in my bus. Does anyone have any issues while boone docking with complaints about the smoke or fire while parked? I am wondering about rest areas and wal-marts etc.
I think you and I have a different definition of boondocking

In any parking lot frequented by the public, you'll likely garner attention faster with smoke coming from your bus. At that point it will depend on the store manager really, you may be asked to leave, or you may end up giving a tour.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #86
Almost There

Quote:

John

Hi BlackJohn. I'm just down the road from you in Kingston. It's -17C (1.4F). I'm hoping you are keeping warm but wondering if it's comfortable. Cheers / capnron
capnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #87
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Just another reason for people to not allow the use of their parking lots. The skoolie image is bad enough the way it is. It may not affect you but, may be a reason for management to refuse everyone who asks later. Boondocking on someones parking lot is for shopping, fixing a meal or getting some rest with owners permission. It is NOT a place to set up residence. It isn't a place to roll out the awning, cook on the grill and set chairs and tables up.

The merchant built the lot for the use of patrons to their store. The use of the lot for overnight parking is a courtesy that SOME stores allow and, they are getting fewer and fewer.

I'm not saying that heating with wood is bad but, others may not see it that way especially in a residential/retail store setting.

I would also think the same goes for rest areas maybe even more so. Rest areas are for resting, having smoke coming out of a chimney kinda' looks like setting up residence.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #88
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Parking lots I’d say yeah lots of wood smoke might be excessive but I’m rest areas at night a lot of those older idling trucks are pushing diesel smoke out of their stacks so I’d say making a fire in a stove works there.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #89
Bus Crazy

"Rest areas are for resting, having smoke coming out of a chimney kinda' looks like setting up residence."

I like to think of it as survival mode. Some use diesel, some propane and some wood. Nobody wants anyone to freeze to death but I would respect a business' parking area or just not rest there.

John
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #90
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnron View Post
Hi BlackJohn. I'm just down the road from you in Kingston. It's -17C (1.4F). I'm hoping you are keeping warm but wondering if it's comfortable. Cheers / capnron

Morninn capnron, nearly fell off my chair reading this. Someone actually close to me on here. A first for me sir!

Keeping warm for sure but this being our first really cold spell, I'm breaking myself in easy. If by saying "comfortable" do you mean inside the bus?
Stove handles it well and today the sun makes me have to choke it down a fair bit, a reason I kept my windows in. Like the daylight!
We can compare notes at some point if you like, just give a holler.
Thanks capn,

John
Old 01-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #91
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Too cold......no such thing my friend cotton liner gloves (thee cheapy one from the hardware $6/doz) and a thicker jack shirt and all is well

Great to hear from you YC, thanks bye!

I got all the gear in spades believe me. Circulation getting bad in older age due to much abuse as a young'un. Right hand was nearly severed so blood vessels didn't heal too well and both feet were flattened by forklift front wheels, operator error..ouch and various other blue words were said.

That sure looks like some fine room service you got happening up there with all that grub awaiting. What inn was that, might wanna check in sometime?

Keep cranking bye, she's a cominn good!

John
Old 01-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #92
Almost There

Quote:
Morninn capnron, nearly fell off my chair reading this. Someone actually close to me on here. A first for me sir!

Keeping warm for sure but this being our first really cold spell, I'm breaking myself in easy. If by saying "comfortable" do you mean inside the bus?
Stove handles it well and today the sun makes me have to choke it down a fair bit, a reason I kept my windows in. Like the daylight!
We can compare notes at some point if you like, just give a holler.
Thanks capn,

John

Thanks for the reply BlackJohn. I'm not currently a bus owner but I did spend 3 1/2 years touring in a rock band in a Skoolie. It was strictly a transportation vehicle but we could sleep 7 on the road. Next time I'm down that way I'll give you a shout as I'd love to see your bus. Cheers/capnron
Old 01-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #93
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks for the reply BlackJohn. I'm not currently a bus owner but I did spend 3 1/2 years touring in a rock band in a Skoolie. It was strictly a transportation vehicle but we could sleep 7 on the road. Next time I'm down that way I'll give you a shout as I'd love to see your bus. Cheers/capnron

Say what? Now you travel by charter jet, lol? I can almost land you here.
Sounds like a plan, never to far from here so do drop in.

John
Old 01-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #94
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Help me understand insulated pipe here folks.

I run cheap black stove pipe.

The whole idea of a woodstove is to produce heat and radiate all that heat.

Why send it up the insulated chimney pipe to the outdoors?

Is it a fear of fire or something?

Sure, it is to be respected but that idea baffles me to no end.

John
I am assuming they mean just the one section through the roof is to be insulated. That is how I would do it and in fact have done it on my house and shop. I want all the heat off it before it goes out that I can.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
"Rest areas are for resting, having smoke coming out of a chimney kinda' looks like setting up residence."

I like to think of it as survival mode. Some use diesel, some propane and some wood. Nobody wants anyone to freeze to death but I would respect a business' parking area or just not rest there.

John
a properly burning fire in a well designed stove sends off so little smoke that I doubt most would notice it and few would object, with the exception of when the fire is first lit - and one thing that wood has going for it in a conservationist way of thinking, it's one of the few fuels that is carbon neutral - if that standing dead tree was allowed to fall on the forest floor and rot, it would give off the exact carbon emissions as it does by burning
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Quote:
I've frequented a watering hole or 10 in Kingston, a couple of my favourites no longer exist.
AJ's, The Manor, I'm there's a few more

Old 01-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #97
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
I've frequented a watering hole or 10 in Kingston, a couple of my favourites no longer exist.
AJ's, The Manor, I'm there's a few more

Raxx, BluMartini, Brandees, and yes, AJ's. Lots of fun for sure.