Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Bookmobile
Engine: Cummins/Allison
Re: What amp draw ok on common?

No ac's
Tvs on standby and xbox's on standby
Leg 1 = 2.1
leg 2 = 1.8
common = 0

Xboxs on Dashboard
Leg 1 = 10.2
Leg 2 = 11.4
common =1.2

15 systems in game 1 dashboars
Leg 1 = 13.0
Leg 2 = 13.0
common = 0.1

1 ac fan only
Leg 1 =14.6
Leg 2 = 12.8
common = 1.5

Compressor high
Leg 1 = 23.1 spiked as high as 63
leg 2 = 13.0
common = 9.7

2 ac's
Leg 1 = 16
leg 2 = 13.0
common = 3.0
Ac 2 compressor
Leg 1 = 16 spiked as high 63.4
leg 2 = 12.8 spiked as high 13.5
Common 12.2

4 ac's max cool
Leg 1 = 33.5
Leg 2 = 33.2
Common = 2.4

30 minute mark
Dropped ac's to med cool

Leg 1 = 15.7
leg 2 = 15.4
common = 0.1

Removed gas cap, no hiss

GameRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Ran systems for 2 hours no problems removing the gas cap after first 30 minutes. Gas cap clearly states non vented. Will replace. Have no idea where to look for vent that may be clogged.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameRV
Ran systems for 2 hours no problems removing the gas cap after first 30 minutes. Gas cap clearly states non vented. Will replace. Have no idea where to look for vent that may be clogged.
It was a hunch - I had heard of fuel starvation due to vacuum before. I have even heard of automobile fuel pumps permanently creating a vacuum strong enough that the outside air pressure permanently collapsed the sheet metal tank (but I have never seen it firsthand).

Old time fuel caps had vents to allow air in to replace the liquid that was being drawn off. Today the vapor that might evaporate through the pinhole is considered an environmental crime - ever see the gasoline pumps with the vacuum fitting to suck up the vapor being displaced by filling the tank?

When the engine is running, there is probably a system on the engine that would vent the fuel tank in such a way that any fuel vapor is drawn in and burned. Since your genny ran fine for a while, I had figured that it was either overheating or fuel starvation due to vacuum. I guessed that the vent system through the engine probably was not designed to vent the tank when the engine is not running. If your bus engine does not cut out when driving, the original system is probably OK for that purpose.

So that means you will need to either find an old vented cap, or create some other air intake (filtered for pesky insects?) that will allow you to draw liquid from the tank without running the bus engine. I'm glad you found your problem.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Today's test not good. Same setup as yesterday just with gas cap removed from the get go. Shut down after 1 hour 43 minutes. My plan is take it to pros tomorrow morning.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Bummer.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Update. They replaced the oil pressure switch and said it was running for an hour without fail so come and pick up. On my way, they called and said after an additional 45 minutes, it failed. I picked it up friday due to a get together saturday. They left the new oil pressure switch connected and then chose to disconnect the control panle to test if that was part of the problem. I drove the GameRV home with the gen running to test their new theory out. Got home, put a load on it, ac's and xbox's and then it died......not the control panel. Cool weather around time of tests. Saturday was hot (90 degrees). Friends over and fired up systems. Died quickly this time (45 minutes) and would not stay on longer than minute or two. I then disconnected the temperature switch and it ran for 4 and 1/2 hours without fail. Laser temp gun on hoses read about 177 degrees. Back to RV shop monday and they are still working on it.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Sorry to hear you haven't resolved it yet. However, it does seem like you've isolated it to the engine side, and not the electrical side.

Hopefully the shop will figure it out soon. The temperature sensor bit makes sense, and hopefully won't be an expensive fix.

Good luck, and keep us updated,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Update. Just got off the phone. They stated new oil and oil filter along with new radiator cap. They said radiator cap had some seepage. They ran for 4 hours no shutdown, then 1 1/2 hours and still running to ensure stability with success. I had read somewhere that too much oil in generator engine could cause incorrect readings and shutoff. Party tomorrow night so I will update Saturday with results. Cross your fingers yall and pray for us!

Mike
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #29
Bus Nut

good luck!
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

I assume you changed the fuel filter. Fuel restrictions in fuel lines and/or filters will reduce your power. Do you have ammeters on each leg, and a voltmeter? Run up the load and see if the engine bogs down, a frequency meter should also be installed. If bogs down at high loads, or starting a motor (assuming your are within design load of the generator, #1 thing to do is change the fuel filter. You did change the fuel filter?
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote