Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3L T444E
Where to mount the propane tank

We just got our bus!!!!
Seats are out now the fun begins.
There are 3 battery boxes and none of them are deep enough for a propane tank, even a horizontal one. So where is the best place to mount the tank? And where to buy a bracket?
Rats one of the battery boxes was right close to where all the propane was going to be used. Not sure if I should try to modify the box. Seems complex to do that.

lbranin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek
Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Where to mount the propane tank

A 20lb tank will just barely fit under the floor of the bus. The collars will have to be situated just right to fall in between the low areas of the framing. My plan is to take an old hitchhaul (traded my heavy hitchhaul for Das Mel's lighter weight hitchhaul), widen it in depth so that I can fit two tanks side-by-side. Hang it off the beams and the rib support of the floor (probably with threaded rod & "U" or "J" bolts...not sure) bolt the edge of the base thru the bottom rub rail with bolts. Cut a hole in the side to accept an expanded steel mesh door panel. The floor of the hitchhaul is expanded metal as well. Probably use a piece of Deckover coated OSB (roofing/subfloor) to box in the sides/back to protect from road debris. The hitchhaul may hang down an inch or so below the rubrail on the sidewall. Just like the fuel tank. Threaded rod and "J" bolts will hold the tanks to the expanded metal mesh floor of the LP locker. Tanks will be on a manifold feeding a single Marshall Excelsior MEGR-9950 2-Stage Regulator that we bought thru Amazon. Black iron pipe will feed all the appliances (pipe thru floor, flexible gas line from pipe to appliance). LP locker will be hung on the passenger rear side. I need to be able to carry at least 5 20lb LP tanks
This post is my opinion. It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Fulltime since 2006
The goal of life is living in agreement with nature. Zeno (335BC-264BC)
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote