Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabus1 View Post
That is a super cool old shorty! A much bigger project than we want and too small( if that describes the link you sent me) it's in Utah right?

Tango's bus? It in Texas. Great bus but a project for someone with really good skills.

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Yes! One of the first buses I looked at was a Crown. I love the curves! It was a 100% project bus though and unfortunately we arent in the position to DIY. We have done remodels on 2 homes in the last 5 yrs and my hubby had back surgery back in February so it's time we paid for something turn key. Not the most exciting way to do it( and I've had a few jabs from some hard core skoolies who say if you dont build it yourself it's not a real skoolie blah blah..I got over the need to fit in a long time ago haha
Ineedabus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Yes that bus. It started out in Utah I thought but i could be wrong. It's going to be dope when its done!
Ineedabus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:27 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
If the Flx has a 350HP 6V92, you need to be sure that the cooling system can handle its heatload. 2-stroke Detroits are notoriously hard to cool in RE buses, and the Flx would have originally had a smaller engine such as a 6V53 - the extra heat generated by a higher-HP Detroit can easily overtax original cooling systems. Folk with older MC7s and MC8s run into this exact problem when they upgrade from the original 8V71 to something with more power and sometimes also an automatic transmission, and they find that the original radiators are then only sufficient for level-ground cool-weather use. Even my pauper-rating 277HP 6V92 is almost overtaxing my cooling system, even after I completely rebuilt everything a few years ago to address some ever-worsening overheating issues; I would love to have 350HP, but my cooling system definitely won't handle it. Even my engine dumps 12,000 BTU per minute into the coolant when under full load, so a 350HP engine would need at least 15,000 BTU/min. heat rejection to stay happy when pulling long grades in hot weather.

If the Flx has an Allison HT740, then that's one thing you should never need worry about. They're still the toughest Allisons ever made for civilian on-road use, and they lock in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, meaning that they generate very little heat when the TC is locked up.

If you need more windshields, go to Mexico! The Dina Olimpico is a Mexican copy of the Flx, and most body parts interchange.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
What are the symptoms of this, and are the failures random or usually at some mileage milestone? My bus has 150K but the engine got an in-frame rebuild at 120K. I don't know what prompted the rebuild (I actually spoke to the mechanic who did it but it didn't occur to me at the time to ask that) so I wonder if it was this timing cover failure.
The coolant in 2000's DT's can eat away the timing cover which also routes the coolant from the water pump to the block. The liner seals on these are also notorious for going bad within the first couple hundred thousand miles. Not all will, but many have.
Its easy to spot, the coolant leaks out of the top of the engine in the front. The liner seals can cause steam to come out of the blowby tube.
I had both symptoms and the ten grand was just for the front of the engine. No liner seals or inframe.
If the timing cover looks newer than the engine its likely been replaced.

I'd bet your liner seals went bad and that's why it got rebuilt at 120k.

To keep your timing cover intact be uber-vigilant with your coolant. Treat it like it has to be perfect or your whole bus will implode lol.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yes! One of the first buses I looked at was a Crown. I love the curves! It was a 100% project bus though and unfortunately we arent in the position to DIY. We have done remodels on 2 homes in the last 5 yrs and my hubby had back surgery back in February so it's time we paid for something turn key. Not the most exciting way to do it( and I've had a few jabs from some hard core skoolies who say if you dont build it yourself it's not a real skoolie blah blah..I got over the need to fit in a long time ago haha

Use the proper oil and keep from lugging it!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:33 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
We just talked with the owner for an hour and I think we have a deal ! Woo hoo! Interesting and IRONIC fact, as per some comments earlier) It has a crack in the passenger side windshield !! The owner has a parts guy in California who has supplied many parts for him and he just bought windshield replacements including the rubber for both sides for $700. So that takes the windshield worry off the table! Yay! We wont be taking delivery until September but here are a couple of pics!
Congrats!!!
Take care of it and it will serve you well. Take your time getting to know it and keep a notbook/log for maintenance and stuff.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Ok so it is the picture Eastcoastcb put up. Oh my that is a beauty. I did not see interior pictures but would like too. You know most of us with skoolies are cheap, and the thought of spending that much on a bus just is not in the cards. I still say if it is your dream bus go for it. Any bus can break down.
These fly-by-night "skoolie tiny house" companies are charging as much as this bus costs for an uninsulated bus with a quick splash of latex house paint and some cabinetry from Lowes. I'm glad to see some folks not wanting to build go for something truly special and EPIC!

Interior looks sweet, IMO. I love the dash!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
You want something rare, solid, and an absolute beauty, you might seriously consider this Art Deco masterpiece!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
Back me up on this, Skoolieville!
I thought Tango's bus was sold?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
We just talked with the owner for an hour and I think we have a deal ! Woo hoo! Interesting and IRONIC fact, as per some comments earlier) It has a crack in the passenger side windshield !! The owner has a parts guy in California who has supplied many parts for him and he just bought windshield replacements including the rubber for both sides for $700. So that takes the windshield worry off the table! Yay! We wont be taking delivery until September but here are a couple of pics!

I'm impressed!
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Are you sure 35ft can go into parks? I seem to remember seeing a sign outside Glacier that said 25ft. But that may be just Glacier.
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #32
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebapuck View Post
Are you sure 35ft can go into parks? I seem to remember seeing a sign outside Glacier that said 25ft. But that may be just Glacier.
There are severaal national parks with restrictions in the low 20s
Old 07-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
That is a beautiful rv! Were you able to negotiate on the price some! I don’t think the price is unreasonable if everything is in good shape and it’s what you’re looking for. Much more solid platform than a new factory fiberwood rv!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #34
Bus Nut

It’s a great looking rig- I know folks buying a 1939 semi truck and mounting it on a modern chassis. Instant reliability and a cool looking classic truck. Could you do that with the flxable?
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:11 AM   #35
Almost There

Year: 2001
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 71
I agree with caddilackid. Yeah it’s a great vintage bus which would be cool for show purposes or something but it’s just so dang old, I was hesitant on the 70’ and 60’ buses, getting in to the 50’s? That’s really risky to me .
rydawg3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:55 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydawg3000 View Post
I agree with caddilackid. Yeah it’s a great vintage bus which would be cool for show purposes or something but it’s just so dang old, I was hesitant on the 70’ and 60’ buses, getting in to the 50’s? That’s really risky to me .
Old 07-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Saw a nicely restored 48 flexible at the Grand Ole Opry last night, being used as a food consession.

I so agree we need dreamers that can do or at least know people who can make their dreams come true.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Roxy and I have wanted to go to the Grand Ole Opry for a long time!
Old 07-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Roxy and I have wanted to go to the Grand Ole Opry for a long time!
It was worth it, a really good show. Dollywood today.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:36 AM   #40

Year: 1979
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: MCI 5C 35'
Engine: 6V 71 Detroit Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
so close to the scenicruiser... .. i think flxible called them starliners..
Thats called a Flxible high Floor.
dave79mci is offline   Reply With Quote