Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1964 gmc pd 4106 - help!

1964GMPD4106BUS/MOTORHOME

Folks I need some guidance. This bus reportedly has VERY low mileage maybe not even broken in yet. It's already converted, but has no plumbing, no bathroom. It's an old manual tranny, 2 stroke diesel.... but I can live with double clutching and putting a gallon of oil in every few hundred miles. And I don't mind plumbing it and adding a bathroom and kitchen to suit me.. but the steering scares me. The owner describes the steering as loose but manageable.... apparently there was an issue with the original steering on these, a fix was available but I guess has not been applied to this bus? Anyone familiar with these? Any ideas what the steering fix would cost or how manageable it really is as is? I've got concerns but my goodness, $4500.. when could I ever pick up this coach for that amount again?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Many GMC buses share the the same steering mechanics.

Take your GMC to a truck front end shop. Just get an estimate and a list of parts needed. Most GMC buses use a front spindle with a king pin arrangement. This is a very simple steering to repair. The repair kits are usually reasonable. The front end parts are simple and easy to fit and replace.
The spindle has a couple big bushings with caps on each end. The axle has a very nice bearing and easy to change. Some times the bushings get twisted or
a little distorted, then a adjustable reamer may be required. It is important to notice how the bushings are installed in relation to the zerk fittings. this tyask can be done in a few days. The tie rod linkage is a bit more involved as some parts are difficult to find. New modern tie rod ends can be used if the spindles are machined. Try to get all the parts numbers. Frank I still have GMC 4107 and a 4905 buses
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

I would check with folks on busnuts forum

To bad they painted it like a modern rv w/swirls....sad

Good luck
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll post this at busnuts as well... I may just have to take a plunge on this one, the guy has several interested parties and I think person who gets it will be the one who's willing to assume the most risk.. I mean, what's the worst that can happen right?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Looks like a bargain compared to most of the "conversions" that I've seen for sale lately.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafoster View Post
assume the most risk.. I mean, what's the worst that can happen right?
Ugh....you start it and put into reverse.....next thing you know; you created a bottomless black hole with plasma lightning that vacuums all the beer away

...that's all

Old 03-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
That was maybe the post of the year, bansil.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
Ugh....you start it and put into reverse.....next thing you know; you created a bottomless black hole with plasma lightning that vacuums all the beer away

...that's all

Oh wait! There's always Wine and beer only takes a couple weeks to make......so really no harm done!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:16 AM   #9
Bus Geek

I just pictured a science project gone bad
Old 03-07-2015, 05:21 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri View Post

Oh wait! There's always Wine and beer only takes a couple weeks to make......so really no harm done!
I will submit my pre-blackhole order:

2 cases of a nice porter or stout, heavy on coffee and chocolate with a wiff of vanilla at least 8.85%
And a case of a 3 or 4 year old cab franc....crap scrap last part of order....we have to grow the vines first...!!!!.....or you use concord grape juice and we call it "hootch"

So now that my order is in.....go ahead and start the bus and try to back her up
Old 03-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

No beer? You are describing a reality in which I do not wish to exist. All I was worried about was the wheels falling off on the way home.....

Sadly it's looking as if our whole bus project is getting deferred for at least a year while we deal with some other stuff. Anyone in NC want to rent me their skoolie for a week this summer?