Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1988 MCI 102c3

Well after about 8 months of research, hundreds of hours of reading, video watching and looking we finally made the plunge and brought a bus! She is a 1988 MCI 102c3 with a Detroit Diesel engine and Allison Tranny. Got her for a steal off eBay. Going to pick her up next weekend in Grand Rapids, MI and drive her back home to Missouri.

Our plan is to convert it to an RV/Tiny Home and sell our house and move onto it full-time for 2 years as we work on paying ourself out of debt (mostly student loans).

Will take any advice/help you can offer! The seats have already been removed and we are going to gut her to her shell to check for leaks and to re-insulate with spray foam. My biggest question now is where do you guys go for parts? Biggest thing we need that I cant find is a rear bumper and possibly the rear body panels. Wanting/needing to replace/reconfigure the whole back end. Also the luggage bay doors are in disarray and need some major work. Anyone know where I might find luggage bay doors?

Thanks everyone! Excited to have everyone along this journey with us! If you want to follow along we are blogging the whole process and would love your feedback there as well! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZG...9rVq9rYVo6N0sw

jaronhumiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Howdy and welcome!!

Looks like a great project and having some of the 'junk' removed is a nice starting point. I spent a lot of time and energy getting the seats, overhead luggage racks, and lavatory out of mine - just so I could get started moving forward.

MCI has a pretty good website and parts store at https://partsstore.mcicoach.com. Registering is easy and they don't bug you with marketing email. The parts are not exactly inexpensive but nothing about a coach is. Quite a few of the parts for my 1998 are no longer available so wonder what it might be like for a 1988 model.

I've not used them for anything but IBP Industries might be a resource for you as well.

There are some bus/coach wrecking yards around that I would really like to visit but haven't yet. See this thread for that list. http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/wa...nada-5568.html

I was able to find a full parts and service documentation set on eBay for my 102-EL3 - maybe the same exists for yours. I have found that documentation and diagrams invaluable and have spent many hours studying it.

Best of luck! Keep us updated on your progress please!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Wall removal...

Started into the Reno of the bus but have hit a snag. I assumed that the interior wall panel was just sheet metal that was screwed in or riveted. Had planned on removing to spray foam for insulation but cannot figure out how to remove the walls. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone able to help?

Had to tear out the steps in the bus and during the Reno process fount this. Anyone know what it is? I am asking because I want to know if I can disconnect it and move it or if I can get ride of it all together? Thanks for any help!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Does it have either air assist door closer, or "kneeling" feature?? I'd operate both and see if the relay operates the air valve and there's your answer.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Agreed. The yellow-ish lines are almost certainly air hoses. I would bet on the passenger door - partly because that is nearly the same place as my passenger door control is located (but mine looks a lot different).
Old 03-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailLifeBill View Post
Does it have either air assist door closer, or "kneeling" feature?? I'd operate both and see if the relay operates the air valve and there's your answer.
Sorry, should have been more specific! Yes it has an air assist door which im totally fine with looking that ability since it will become our home. My only concern is that the line that stretches across from bottom right to middle left that looks like its under tension says air brakes on it. That can't possibly be the air brake line can it?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

I would GUESS that it is unlikely to be hose connected to the air brakes. Still guessing it is all (all yellow air lines) part of the passenger door. None of my brake or suspension air lines enter the "house" - all outside under/inside the chassis (and are much larger hoses).
Old 03-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronhumiston View Post
Sorry, should have been more specific! Yes it has an air assist door which im totally fine with looking that ability since it will become our home. My only concern is that the line that stretches across from bottom right to middle left that looks like its under tension says air brakes on it. That can't possibly be the air brake line can it?
Maybe the feed going to the airbrake pressure gauge?? Looks small to be the actual brake hose, but obviously part of the system or they wouldn't have labeled as such. Maybe time to get up to speed on how to terminate air hoses??
Old 03-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Yes. I need to figure out to to terminate air hoses correctly! Anyone want to help me?
Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronhumiston View Post
Yes. I need to figure out to to terminate air hoses correctly! Anyone want to help me?
I'd take pictures of the fittings at the ends, and go to a truck parts supply store (not dealership with their own mechanics) and see what they have as far as fittings, replacement hose, etc. The one on the air valve looks almost like a plumbing compression fitting, but I'd rather have the replacement in hand before tearing apart a working one.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Luggage bay door issues

Havent hase the greatest weather here and so ive been working on odd and end jobs around the bus and found a major problem with 1 of my luggage bay doors. Its completely rusted. Went to open it and when I did the support arms broke. I know that the doors are crazy expensive but anyone know how to go about replacing or fixing this? Thought about calling MCI and asking if there are replacement parts still in stock but im afraid because of the age of my bus, im going to be out of luck. Already started calling to salvage yards too looking for parts.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #13

Chassis: 1991 Blue Bird TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Those doors were used for a long time, parts should be easy to get but expensive new. Try the wrecking yards, watch out for rot, eventually they all rot out like yours did.
Lazy Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Windows

Wow has it been awhile since I've been on and posted anything! Lots of new progress with the bus! Everything inside has been gutted and new sub-floor has been complete. We taped out the layout and now are starting on the window process and here's where I would like help/input. Im looking to pull out all the windows on the bus, wield new support and put in smaller rv windows and then re-skin the bus. The problem is I can find windows that aren't tiny to put back in. Ive checked eBay and where we live we are around absolutely nothing. Any suggestions?

Tags
bus conversion, mci, mci 102c3