Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
Thinking of doing a live YouTube QA stream....

Anyone interested in watching something like this?

Basically open bus discussion on the “whole” process I went through at least in my build experience.

Got some new streaming software so I’ll be broadcasting very soon - been testing it.
That would be nice. We are in planning stage and waffling between heavily modified skoolie vs coach. Right now thinking more coach for basement room. I read your thread several years ago and it really opened up the idea of a coach.

oneek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #442

Quote:
As for the parts? Parts are NOT hard to get. Any VanHool part is distributed and current with ABC-Companies.com - They are local in USA and have locations everywhere! I’ve been to one for service of the road AC system when I got the bus. They have EVERY part in catalogues to order. You want a dash switch? A rubber seal for a bay door? They have it.

Not sure why people keep saying it’s hard to find parts....
I agree. I've had nothing but luck with ABC. At first I was afraid they wouldn't pay me much attention since I'm an independent owner and not some part of a fleet, but several times their parts/service guy has gone WAY out of their way for me. Also helped a ton their service center was literally right around the block from work at the time.
Phuriousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #443
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I second JD on the largest fact that we are operating from a used standpoint (second life to the vehicle)...
Personally I have had no issues with the state I purchased my T945 VanHool in.

I’ve added coolant and changed a tire that had cracks.

Yes the costs if something major were to happen would be higher than a Skoolie.

As for the parts? Parts are NOT hard to get. Any VanHool part is distributed and current with ABC-Companies.com - They are local in USA and have locations everywhere! I’ve been to one for service of the road AC system when I got the bus. They have EVERY part in catalogues to order. You want a dash switch? A rubber seal for a bay door? They have it.

Not sure why people keep saying it’s hard to find parts....

I have put VERY minimal miles on my bus compared to life it had before - like it’s in retirement. Lol
Mine had over 700,000 miles but it was always owned by a company prior to me for the sole purpose of being road worthy carrying passengers. DOT inspections mandatory etc.. So good bet a coach was decently maintained especially if buying from some fleet / charter co.

Sorry for my late reply - I did get access to update my photos in this thread - so soon theY will ALL be back online here and I’ll start back up my posts and updates..
Thank you so much for all the info! My husband's concern is the inability to stop and park at scenic spots. How hard is it to find parking when you need it?
Tfanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #444
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfanous View Post
Thank you so much for all the info! My husband's concern is the inability to stop and park at scenic spots. How hard is it to find parking when you need it?
Sometimes you may need to park nearby - then go explore.

I’m not gonna lie - that can be a challenge.. Whenever I go anywhere I always satellite view it in maps to see where and how I can drive in/out.. Before pulling in any campsite, I park off a road and explore it first on foot / scooter to see exactly the route and path to drive.

Best advice I was ever given about driving a bus this size was to NEVER get in a hurry.. Take your time and plan out.

I usually stop the most random spots like freeway off ramps to take a nap like you see with big rigs.

I know it’s an issue for any RV this size at some state parks and camp grounds. Many have limits like 35’ or something. Gotta think ahead. I’ve been to some regular sites though and as long as they accommodate 45’ RV spots you can usually maneuver.
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #445
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I enjoyed reading the first 2 pages with all the pics, the next 20 were a little disappointing without the pics. But I'm very glad to see the last few they are back. Thanks for taking the time to reload all the pics, it's a major pain, but I look forward to seeing all the improvements you have made.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #446
Skoolie

Im working on it!! I think I'm on page 8 now... It is very time consuming shuffling through all my old pics and finding the ones I actually posted.

By the way - I should be testing the live-stream soon.
Most likely I may favor Periscope for this, so be sure to follow @offgr1d there to catch the stream. Youtube is the same - just search offgr1d (don't forget the number 1)

updating software and testing how to see comments live when sending from other cam sources so I can get pics / different views in the video.

may have a couple technical test streams so bare with me.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:22 AM   #447

Year: Pend
Coachwork: Pending
Chassis: Pending
Engine: Pending
Rated Cap: Likely a big one
Hi! We are considering a VanHool very similar to yours in style/size (C2045). Is there a chance you have dimensions of the inside, particularly width, and length from the top steps? I’m assuming it’s wider than a school bus by a few inches, but I can’t find anything online. Thanks! ~ Bullamakanka, SoCal
Bullamakanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #448
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullamakanka View Post
Hi! We are considering a VanHool very similar to yours in style/size (C2045). Is there a chance you have dimensions of the inside, particularly width, and length from the top steps? I’m assuming it’s wider than a school bus by a few inches, but I can’t find anything online. Thanks! ~ Bullamakanka, SoCal
I guessing your talking of interior frame to frame width not including your own wall build/thickness..
I’ll see if I can get that measurement today.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #449

Year: Pend
Coachwork: Pending
Chassis: Pending
Engine: Pending
Rated Cap: Likely a big one
Yes, exactly! Thank you!!
Bullamakanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #450
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I use a trucker GPS and generally **NOT** Waze or google maps.. both of those apps will take you on the narrowest of narrow dark streets to get you someplace 4 seconds faster than the main road..

even in my short busses ive done drive-bys of driveweays or parking lots to give a look before I embark on a tight mess or driveway thats so rough you'll tip everything over inside your bus...

fortunately I like to walk alot and fortunately I have shorter busses on the long trips.. although that moght change once I get my fishbowl up and going.. people say im going to want to drive that detroit everywhere..

nevertheless even with shorties ive often parked a half mile or more from a place I wanted to see or eat or have coffee just so I can be in a nice larger lot..

moreso when i take my Superior (35 feet) out..

ive known people who have a car in tow with a 45 footer to purposely park someplace big like a nearby rest area and unhitch their car to go view the sites around then come back and hitch it back up ..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #451
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullamakanka View Post
Yes, exactly! Thank you!!
So the floor size I was able to fit in the interior width is 96” wide..

I think the exterior is considered 102” width

Hope this helps
Old 04-14-2022, 12:00 AM   #452

Chassis: Van Hool T2145
Engine: Destriot Series 60 470-505 HP
Rated Cap: 57 passenger 49000ish GVW
i just bought mine Tax tag title, for 3995
AshLyNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:10 PM   #453
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshLyNN View Post
i just bought mine Tax tag title, for 3995

Very good find. I only hope there isn't any deferred maintenance issues waiting to find you. Does seem too good to be true. Best of Luck.
I may be able to help so feel free to contact me direct.

mikemcc2k@yahoo.com
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:44 AM   #454

Amazing build [emoji122], I’m about embark on it selling off motorbikes and other bits to finance a coach, looking at vanhool or similar 2002 /2006 models, the worst part is how much negativity I’m receiving from anyone I speak to about it, some moans about parking, road tax insurance mot (yeah I’m in the uk) some moans about euro6 or not, others think it’s a mammoth task and crazy.
I’ve already built my sprinter between 2021 to 2022, on the road side as my driveway is too small, I figured coach would in some ways a little less hectic, after clearing the living deck and insulating it’s simply building back up whilst using the lower storage deck mount everything else like battery, tank, mppt etc van doesn’t have this option.
I wish more and more people are encouraged to do this so we have a nice community in the uk and Europe also
capofarukgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #455
Skoolie

I have seen a number of people converting the VanHool over in the UK. A few of the double decker ones as well. Yeah, it would be great to even see more - it is a quality platform at a fraction the cost in the used market.
Compared to a Van, you are right, there is much room down below in the storage area for all the “systems” compared to finding ways of hiding them in your living space. Since you have already done a conversion in the past - I bet you will have a blast finding the many more creative options you have with the added space. My best goes out to you with your DIY endeavor!!!
Old 02-26-2023, 01:42 PM   #456
Skoolie

Check out this video of a family that did a VanHool bus last year, their third conversion. Turned out really nice!

https://youtu.be/Gj5JfBT3mGQ
Attached Thumbnails
VonHool.jpg  
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote