Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Got more done on the chiller - TXV brazed in place and more copper cut for suction lines.

Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:54 AM   #62
Skoolie

Stainless steel kitchen countertop being worked on. Welding is done, Polishing and finish work to be done. Base and legs will not be used as it will be mounted to top of custom cabinets and drawers.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I love the way after you tig weld stainless steel, wire wheeling with a stainless steel wire wheel takes away all the discoloration, making it look like it was one piece.

Looking real good.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Kick-butt build! Never something I could manage (between finances and [lack of] skill) but seriously cool to watch. Thanks for sharing!
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
We're UNWORTHY!!!!

Beautiful build!
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #66

This is INCREDIBLE. Probably the most incredible thing I've seen on this site! (Though I am new, but from what people are saying, they think this is amazing too!)

I've read through the whole thread (so far), and have a few questions for you... Hopefully you didn't already answer them, or I will feel stupid. Also, please don't answer anything you don't want to.

How is the VanHool registered? (RV or Commercial)

Do you need a CDL to drive this thing? (goes with previous question)

Who do you insure this through, and what kind of policy is it? RV?

At the end of the build, can you provide an approximate cost for each general component of the build? (7 Ton Chiller cost, shower/bathroom cost, kitchen cost, independent air door cost, etc.)

How much (approximately) did the VanHool initially cost you? I know you said $300/mo on an RV loan, but I am specifically wondering about the total initial price.

I am a HUGE fan of modern architecture and design, so I am very interested in the direction you are going with the overall design. WAY COOL!!

Good luck with everything, and keep pictures coming!!!!
vdubyah4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #67
Skoolie

Thanks for the comments - not sure if I mentioned before, but I do like modern as well and my motivation to do this differently come from a slogan I think of all the time which is just something I live by - "if it's been done before - I won't do it like that"
To answer your questions:
VanHool is registered as an RV with progressive - I told them it's my permanent residence and have a full timers package.

You do not need a CDL if your not driving commercial. Nevada work by weight, so driving in NV you need a non-commercial class B lic. It's cake to get, basically some knowledge to study in the drivers book about air brakes and that "your big" so it's longer to Stop / wider to turn etc....

My bus was purchase for 30k on an RV loan. Basically 300/month.

I've seen my year go from 18k-60k for my year /model. So in my case it wasn't the cheapest out their nor the most expensive. I know you get get an older VanHool T845 40' bus for around 6-8k - one is for sale in San Diego right now I think.

I have not spent much on convention costs so far. The entire chiller will prolly be about a 2k expense - about same as a could new rooftop units. And the bathroom was cheap! Concrete was about $40 all tile around $600 and the wood about $300.. Plumbing fixtures were the most. Flat rain shower head $100 cool square sink $200 square faucet $100 linear drain $100...

All in all - I would say bathroom was between $1500 and $2000 in expenses.

I have every receipt - so when the build is done I can really go through and itemize it out.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
"There's a lot of serious coolness going on there".
--- Benjamin Franklin
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #69
Skoolie

Sorry - my mentality is it's not expensive to do the bathroom work like this (it may be to some) but as I look at it like building my own house. It's an investment- and I want it a certain way and not settle for less. Sure you could always do it a little cheaper with cheaper fixtures and materials (tile/wood/ etc)...

I just drove to CA for my long weekend - great drive!! The VanHool drives like a dream. It's such a smooth beast on the freeway. Working on kitchen / so more pics coming soon!!!
Old 10-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
This is an AWESOME thread...

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #71

I agree with EastCoastCB. AWESOME.

Thank you for answering my questions! I appreciate all of the information. I am gathering information and preparing for a build in a few to several years. Since this is your primary residence I can see why you are putting such a great amount of effort into it, and it shows. You've got the stage, and everyone is drooling.

I would love to go this route, but for me, since it will not be a primary residence, I will have a rough time convincing my wife that we need to buy a VanHool. That being said, because of budget constraints my target bus will probably be a flat nose Bluebird with some underside storage. Though, I am sure I will be looking to this thread for inspiration for years to come.

Keep the awesomeness flowing.
vdubyah4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
VAN-DROOL is right! Definitely in my top 5 builds on this forum.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:33 AM   #73
Skoolie

Lol - thanks Redd... I never heard VanDrool before!!

So I finished the flooring back to the master bedroom / office. Been working on the kitchen cabinets and counter. I added 3/4" birch ply to the underside of the stainless counter to beef it up and make "solid" so it doesn't have any hollow feel or give on the surface. It came out awesome! I can't wait to mount to the counter base that my dad and I will start building tomorrow. Hitting the basement bedroom now - I call it my cubby hole (if I didn't mention already - my main sleeping area so far has been a converted storage bay for sleeping) I will also put up the wood paneling in the basement room tomorrow as well.. Lots of pics to come soon. Stay posted all! And thank you for the support, it's great motivation to make progress
Old 10-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #74

Offgr1d you absolutely ROCK!! You mentioned working with an engineer; with everything you're doing and your apparent knowledge, are you also an engineer (if not you should be)? Just beginning to wade (actually just did sign up) into these waters, and what a way to get started! No . . . thank YOU for the motivation!
StillDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 AM   #75
Mini-Skoolie

What a great build! Very in inovative and we'll thought out. Keep up the great work!
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Great Build!!! Keep up the awesome work!
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #77
Mini-Skoolie

Wow!

Subscribed!
KandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #78
Mini-Skoolie

18 mpg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
Silver leaf engine monitor in action on a drive:

Okay, did you just reset the system before taking this picture? Or does it actually get 18 mpg?
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #79
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
And I want to know what kind of gearing gets you to 70 at 1394 RPM's.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #80
Skoolie

I'm not familiar with what ratio is in the Trans, but It's a highway coach - lol. RPM is really low with the 6 speed Allison. I almost never go over 1500 I would say max is 1600 that I've seen. About the MPG that's instantaneous estimate - so probably it was lower RPM and coasting when that was shot. The turbo is also very low in the pic so I'm sure it was downhill. I can get more info next time I drive a trip if your interested - but the last I calculated a whole trip I got between 9-10 mpg.