Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #81
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Yes it's actually labeled IMPG on the monitor. It's changes rapidly pending your foot

Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #82
Skoolie

Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #83
Skoolie

So I had a really neat trick for making the main front of cabinet fascia.
In trying to figure out how to clamp and not having the correct clamps, I used short nails and small blocks of cut wood. I nailed them with air powered brad nailer on each side of the two boards to be glued together. Use wax paper under the boards between floor and under the nailed wood block. This held everything in place Perfect while it all set. After dried, the block pull out like cake with no glue and the wax paper literally falls off. Result is accurate alignment and glue joints for a seamless fascia.

See pics:

Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #84
Skoolie

By the way here is a link to remember for where I get my super strong full extension ball bearing drawer slides:

520 - Drawer Slides - Case Hardware - TCH

Just ordered a bunch for these for my kitchen cabinets and pantry - so thought I would share.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #85
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Six speed Allie...NICE!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:21 AM   #86
Mini-Skoolie

gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
I'm not familiar with what ratio is in the Trans, but It's a highway coach - lol. RPM is really low with the 6 speed Allison. I almost never go over 1500 I would say max is 1600 that I've seen. About the MPG that's instantaneous estimate - so probably it was lower RPM and coasting when that was shot. The turbo is also very low in the pic so I'm sure it was downhill. I can get more info next time I drive a trip if your interested - but the last I calculated a whole trip I got between 9-10 mpg.
Was this hand calculated by filling your fuel tank? Because you have me second guessing myself here. We are just about to buy a couch and I am sold on an MCI. But it seems that even if I spend more and buy a more modern coach with a series 60 and a 6 speed Allison transmission that 6-7 mpg is all you could possibly hope for. So if you really are getting 9-10 mpg out your combo then I would save over $750 in fuel in just 1 trip to the west coast and back. And that number is only if fuel stays at $2.75 per gallon. If it goes up or I drive more the savings would be greater. So I am not questioning your honesty. I am praying this is as good as it sounds and we will be "forced " to buy a much nicer bus than we really want to!
Oh, and great job on the cabinets too!
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:04 AM   #87
Skoolie

I wish I could give you some pure data, but I have not crunched numbers after filling a full tank (155gal) I got this by an average from my road relay (engine data unit that was on bus) the silver leaf unit I added and the aftermarket fuel tank monitor which pretty much shows accurate readings to the % of diesel. On the last 6 different trips I've done now, I pretty much get the calculations of 9.5 mpg
On one of my earlier trips I calculated 10. But my bus was also much lighter then or I was going slower - lol...

My next trip I'll try to get some more exact numbers... Document the fuel %, exact miles, etc... I think the road relay is pretty accurate. It's what sent data over cellular in bus to the charter headquarters so they could calculate expenses. It shows everything! How long you idle, how long in which gears, average speeds total gal consumption! cool stuff... I need a manual for it so I could use it better
Old 10-30-2015, 03:26 AM   #88
Skoolie

Btw today marks the chiller system as being completely sealed in the refrigeration side. My friend and I fixed the last small braze leak we had to track down with bubbles. Did a Evac on one side and it held for days. So as soon as I finish the electrical box for the chiller controls I can charge the system with 410a. Waiting on my Duda diesel 2 way valves and I can finish the tank and water pump side. The home built Aqua heater should be up and running in about a week hopefully. I got one normally open valve and one normally closed valve. Now the circulator pump will continuously run and when the heat side relay from the thermostat is triggered the water flow closes to the plate exchangers and gets diverted through the electric on demand water heater. It's been cooling off here, so the mini split has been heating me at night just fine for now, but can't wait to test heat with the full rooftop coils and build the other air/water handlers. I'll keep us posted and take more pics.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #89
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The 1000 and 2000 series 5 & 6 speed Allisons have the same ratios with the 6 speeds having a second overdrive. And folks are indeed recording some very impressive mpg with the right rear axle and motor combos.

First........ 3.10
Second.... 1.81
Third....... 1.41
Fourth..... 1.00
Fifth........ 0.71
Sixth....... 0.61
Reverse... 4.49
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #90
Skoolie

http://www.allisontransmission.com/d....pdf?sfvrsn=30
Old 11-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #91
Skoolie

I have a Twitter account you can follow - @offgr1d

I will also be making a website to document the bus conversion.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:31 PM   #92
Skoolie

Update

So the kitchen sink and plumbing is operational!! Yay! I had to tie into the grey water plumbing and add pex from manifold to over the rear axles where the sink is. I don't have the best pics yet, but this shows the new faucet and sprayer setup:

The backsplash is plywood now but will get a tile board attached and a tile put on soon - below will be the most likely tile choice:

It will match the acrylic black coating on all the cabinets and the silver accent of the stainless
Old 11-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #93
Skoolie

I also worked on some of the finishing work for the downstairs sleeper bay. As you can see a new floor covering was put in (brushed toffee oak) and high gloss mahogany wood walls. I still have to get enough courage to cut huge holes in the bay doors for the sliding RV windows that will be on each side.... Sigh....

Old 11-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #94
Mini-Skoolie

The sleeping bay is an excellent idea especially with the giant bays on your bus. Although the windows will definitely take away from your stealthyness, but I think it's worth the trade off. Are your bay doors still air locking? Do you have AC down there? Also do you have access from inside the bus? Sorry for all the questions.
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #95
Skoolie

I know the windows could be a giveaway, but I don't think they will stand out too much. More like - "why is there a window there?"

Yes the bay gets its own zoned AC/Heat control and vents.

The bay doors are mechanical locking. In this compartment they are disengaged from the outside and can only open in emergency from inside.

Also there is a hatch that's lets you step into this sleeper from within the bus. I get in/out from it everyday. Adding some folding steps soon to make it a little easier - more pics to come.
This hatch will also be covered by the wrap around couch to be built. It will have a section on roller glides that allow the section to push open to give acces to handles and stairs into the sleeper room.

I love it down there... So comfy and not small feeling at all. 3' tall, 4' wide and 8' long. I have a full futon mattress in there now.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #96
Bus Nut

that is the size of most tiny homes sleeping loft. Its like you are building an upside down tiny house.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #97

Very nice Rig, I have been looking into making an RV out of one of those coaches. Awesome AC unit. I hate rooftop RV units with a passion too. They're little more than repackaged window units. My plan is to use Mini Split components.
ZoNiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #98
Skoolie

My temp unit that's been in bus since I started conversion is an inverter type brushless mini-split.

Actually still using it now until my plumbing for the Aqua system is done
Old 11-26-2015, 06:15 AM   #99

I just bought a '97 T945. Does anyone on here know if you can put a slide in these things? TIA
prorott01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #100
Skoolie

I don't see why you couldn't. You would change the structural integrity of the chassis a bit getting rid of so much of the side, so it would clearly need to be reinforced around the opening that is cut.

Personally I prefer no slides and I read about many full timers that have the same views. Imagine traveling and having a side get stuck out at one of your destinations and not being able to leave till repairs are done. I know that's all preference because many people love them. You also loose a lot of space when it's closed (the pushed in interior walls and slide ceiling also comes into your internal space) just some thoughts...
Some of these points came to me by seasoned tour bus drivers in the road - most of their time is actually driving, so that's lost space when they are retracted with full crew and gear inside and minimal time at destinations to take advantage of the added space when extended..