Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #281
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Cat 3206
Fantastic input, we don't want a compost toilet. More of the kind we all enjoy in our homes and not dread in an RV. So moving it forward is a definite! It's why we shared the plan.

Once we get to the window removal and re-homing we will be sure and contact you then! That is nice that they swing out like an awning, its the only way that made sense to me honestly. Thank you for sharing that as well.

RoadsEndFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #282
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Start a thread for your build under the coach section and I'll subscribe!! I think you may get more response to your questions and creative input from others with a specific thread for your build.. I don't think many are subscribed to mine..

I'm looking forward to see your build - makes me excited to see another Hoolie on the forum
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #283
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Great beginning. My vote is definitely for "Van Hooligan"!!!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #284
Skoolie

Van Hoodlum is another option - lol
Old 06-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #285
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Van Hoolihoop since you jumped through a few hoops to get it home!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #286
Almost There

OFFGR1D, I just read 29 pages and this is awesome! One of the best builds ever! I would love to buy a motor coach. Been reading for a couple years on this and other sites to come up with a plan. Mine would just be weekends and vacations not full time like yours. I have found some older 2 stroke GM coaches and some reasonably priced MCI's but only saw one VanHool. I will probably just start with a skoolie first and then work up to a coach. Anyway awesome build and keep us updated!
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #287
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
Start a thread for your build under the coach section and I'll subscribe!! I think you may get more response to your questions and creative input from others with a specific thread for your build.. I don't think many are subscribed to mine..

I'm looking forward to see your build - makes me excited to see another Hoolie on the forum
Offgr1d, your build is of such high quality, beyond the pale really, that I think everyone on here would be following it. I for one have read through the whole thread more than once just in appreciation of the fine work you have done and are doing on your home. Do keep us updated!! I always look forward to the "next installment " of big coach grandness.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:48 AM   #288
Skoolie

Hi everyone! Sorry for no updates lately.. Been spending a few weeks with my daughter so some projects have been going slow. I have been still tweeting the chiller and power systems. Had to mess with exchanger options and have found the pre/made water coils for hydroponic gardening to work awesome. They have 6" and 8" ones and only need duct fans attached. To give an example of how the chiller is working, I used only two 8" units and fans, (one in front and one in kitchen) with water set at 55 deg as to not run plates too cold without glycol yet, I could keep interior under 80deg when we had 110+ outside. This was also only one compressor/plate and one stage.. So I was using about 15amps..
Had a good few days of testing and building power supplies for the rooftop condenser fans. The first power supplies I used would cut out with more than one motor on startup - I changed to a different smaller server power supply and run three at 220v with 2 running two fans and one on its own. (There are 5 rooftop fans each at 225watts 12v) a relay system I built starts the supply on one fan then adds the second one after spin up as to not cause heavy start load on the DC line.. Seems to be working great! Also at 220v which is what the compressors run on prior to the boost transformer, the fans only pull about 4.5 amps... That's with one or two compressors...
So far I'm really happy. I still need to route more insulated pex and build the "nice" looking enclosures for the chill boxes...
Also picked me up a small chest freezer that will go in the kitchen..

So far so good. More pics to come soon..
Old 07-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #289

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Olyller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #290
Almost There

Offgr1d, Awesome project. I may have missed it but are you doing any solar power? Vegas I would think would be an excellent place to do some even if only partial electrical needs.

Thanks
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #291
Skoolie

Yes, I am planing on solar. I should have enough room for about 2kw on roof if I'm creative... I want 250w panels and they are slowly coming down in price. There is a new company distributing out of corona CA that looks very good in pricing. They are on EBay... The solar expense will kinda be a little later for me as I am using my funds to get interior and comfort items working first... In time...
Old 08-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #292

945 Emergency Window Removal

Would you know how to remove the emergency windows? Looked everywhere without success. Thought once they were lifted up to horizontal it would slide out of track but doesn't or I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated
prorott01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #293
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Cat 3206
I have a friend in Idaho with a Solar Company. I'm getting him to work up some numbers for me, want his information?
RoadsEndFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #294
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prorott01 View Post
Would you know how to remove the emergency windows? Looked everywhere without success. Thought once they were lifted up to horizontal it would slide out of track but doesn't or I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated
I have not actually ever removed one, so I don't know off hand. I been looking through the parts manuals and can't find the hinge layout either. My suggestion is call ABC in CA and talk to the repair dept. They seem to be pretty friendly and have spoken with them on the phone before. If you haven't already, sign up on the ABC website for a VanHool portal access. This gives design docs, manuals, parts info for just about everything on the bus. Maybe you have better luck than me searching there. I was using phone and it's not too friendly with Windows and pop ups for the .pdf files..
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #295
Skoolie

http://www.vanhool.be
Above address is the portal page:
Navigate English then on the right there is a link to customer portal - request access link.

From there after you get access - you put in your last 5 digits of VIN and get a page of documents for practically everything.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #296
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsEndFilms View Post
I have a friend in Idaho with a Solar Company. I'm getting him to work up some numbers for me, want his information?
Absolutely I would like solar info! I've found some I'm really interested in - there is a distributor in chino CA that has dirt cheap 250w panels...
Old 08-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #297
Skoolie

Still working on air handlers, but with one compressor running I had bus 65deg inside while it was 100+ deg outside...

Trying to figure out how to kick in second compressor without short cycling - it cools the water too fast! And in less than 3min I have 40deg water!! Maybe once I finish the zones I'll have a higher heat load and I can build a warm water bypass in the compressor bay with some water jackets... This could have no delay and have thermostats set to "heat" mode and cool compressors while adding a small warm water load to the system to prevent short cycling of compressors. Continuing to work out kinks - but so far so good
Old 08-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
Van Hool
Above address is the portal page:
Navigate English then on the right there is a link to customer portal - request access link.

From there after you get access - you put in your last 5 digits of VIN and get a page of documents for practically everything.
Ya I have portal access and have talked with the ABC in Orlando. But there are discrepancies in how they come out. Guess I just going to remove the whole frame/window to figure it out.
prorott01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #299
Skoolie

Wow! Sorry for long time no post. Been real busy in the Vegas heat trying to dial in the chiller AC... Been on a few trips as well, saw an awesome VanHool conversion bus in Barstow when I stopped - parked next to it, but bummed I didn't get to chat with anyone. Their generator was running so I know someone was hiding inside.

Here is the last air exchanger I got built - and am currently testing it before all the finish work and housing goes up. Water is temp routed (as there will be shutoff valves and insulated pipe the whole way and tucked inside... So far it's great! It's ducted down the windows and out vents under the side parcel area soffet.

Also been busy working in the cluster fu$&()ed electrical bay - slowly starting to redo the temp wiring into more permanant routes. Also added an awesome (but cheap) Harbor Freight toolbox to house some of my tools so they don't have to be stored in dumb places like my kitchen or lounge... It will help like crazy as soon as I finish that compartment as there was practically nothing stored there before. I had to move the air compressor to the sanitary bay - but it still fits along with the water pumps / pressure tank / propane and tank drains.. Will take more pics of that as I get it situated...

Old 08-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #300
Bus Nut

Nice work! Thanks for updating us!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote