Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 02:17 AM   #321

Wow! This is the first time in a bus/ skoolie forum and I signed up because of you and read your entire blog tonight. I am amazed and intrigued and look forward to more posts and pics from you as I weave the plans for my coach conversion for full time living off grid. Thank you for your posts! I feel like I have a kindred spirit being a female going in a similar direction...creating what I want and feeling good about it. Keep it up! I am with you!

2SpideyCents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #322
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
So awesome!! Thanks for the great comments - my dad and I just left SkooliePalooza seeing so many amazing conversions- WOW, what's a great group of people!!!

I can't wait for the next meet up I can attend...

I have more pics to post soon - still working On projects... thanks and stay tuned.
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #323
Mini-Skoolie

Question A few questions...

Hi there!

I'm totally impressed by this conversion project. I literally stumbled in here two days ago from the wider internet while researching tiny homes.

One basic question that comes to mind: what is the usable floor footprint in your coach?

My guess is 40' x 8'.

What about roof height from the floor to your ceiling? 6'?

I can't wait to see the next round of pictures you post.

Wheels are turning in my head.

I'm single, already live in a 380 sqft place and could take the same path you've chosen.

Checks three boxes for me: a tiny home, something I own and a huge project that would challenge me.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #324
Mini-Skoolie

A couple more questions that came to mind:

How did you find your space to park the bus and live in it? Does the space include electricity? What about water or waste?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #325
Skoolie

Jimbo- your just about correct on all accounts. It's a 45' length with floor inside (minus driver lower area and the small rear engine back hump of about 40' x8'.

The height is about 6'2" in the lowest edge near windows. That's after I added a 3/4" new flooring and the laminate..
It's been a great platform. I do have all tanks for full boondocking - but I got lucky enough to park during my conversion process at a private owned RV park with full hookups. I have water, sewer, electric... my worst case plan was if I was not around hookups it would be a weekly trip to fill/drain from a truck stop.. the tanks and plumbing was literally the very first thing I built to make a "liveable" space.. The rest has been added little by little in the construction, walls, electrical systems etc....

This trip was an amazing test. More to change, to add, and dial in for good usage.

I do need to post more pics soon
Old 01-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #326
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the quick reply!

How does the RV park regard your construction?

Do you run a circular saw outside the bus?

The places I'm looking at would probably not be thrilled with me letting it all hang out. I'd probably have to keep it contained to a degree.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #327
Skoolie

It's private community and I now everyone here - they allow me to do work outside bus, but I'm conservative on the hours I work. Try to keep it cleaned up as well. I do run saw some on occasion.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #328
Mini-Skoolie

Such great information! Thank you!

Did you use the shower/restroom facilities at the RV park before your plumbing was operable?

If so, how long did you do that before you could use the facilities in your bus?

I'm trying to mentally consider/prepare for that stretch of time without personal facilities if I decided to go this route.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #329
Skoolie

I had about a 3week span to get a working shower / toilet. I had a week off work I went to CA and worked on bus with my dad, then I rented an airstream from friends for two weeks that was in the RV park to use while I worked on the bus systems... by that time I had something manageable. I think if you plan out - it can be done...
At the time I even considered a camp toilet and outdoor solar shower just to get through the rough!! Where there is a will there is a way!! I'm so glad your considering a coach conversion! Would be great to know another DIY bus peep I could have meet ups with. I'm trying to get to the point of taking bus out once a month on a week long trip - now I know I can boondocking for at least a week with no issues...
Old 01-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #330
Mini-Skoolie

My father, who has renovated a number of homes extensively, retires in two years. LOL

He's a great source of wisdom now but could also be a great source of full-time labor once he's retired. My mother will want him to find something to do to occupy his time.

I'm wondering how your bay doors are arranged when you are sitting in the park where your bus is parked most of the time.

Specifically, does connecting your bus to shore power, water or waste require one or more of your bay to be "open"?

A pic of those connections would be fantastic.

I'm going to drive up to my RV park of choice to tour it in-person and get a sense of the physical security of the place.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #331
Skoolie

No bay has to be open to connect. I have made a pass through for the electrical and the sewer connect is at a 45deg hidden underneath the edge of the bus so it's barely seen from external and even full side view..
I used the large plumbing clean out screw on door for the under cable access.. I actually want one more on the sewer side to make the fresh water hose easier to get out.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #332
Skoolie

Here is the generator / shore power transfer switch - it transfers between two 3pole contractors breaking all connects to either or source.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #333
Skoolie

Here is one of the contactors that handles the shore connection:

Old 01-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #334
Skoolie

A bit of the solar setup:
40amp MPPT controller,
Just over 1kw on roof in two parallel series strings.
6qty 175w 24v panels

Here is my $10 DIY solar combiner box (I wasn't paying over $100 for a breaker box just because it's "solar") houses the D.C. Breakers for the panels.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #335
Skoolie

Here is one of the touch panels finally mounted in the bathroom on the wall - example of how all the lights/dimmers and controls work. No physical switches will be anywhere!
It also turns on/off inverter, starts/stops generator and the water pump.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #336
Mini-Skoolie

I am completely blown away. Thank you for sharing!

Each photo reveals something amazing...

I spent my morning reading about Reflectix, wall insulation and Versa-Foam spray foam, LOL
Old 01-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #337
Skoolie

Regarding hookups and compartment doors...

Winnebago uses small fold down doors that form a U shaped notch at the outer edge of the compartment. No fishing wires or hoses through holes. Bay doors will still close and latch. They call it "QuickPort", I haven't seen anyone else that does it like that.

CAD image (from inside), in the closed position:

(Yellow piece swings open reveling a smaller notch to pass a water hose or extension cord through and keep out critters.)

Winnebago sells them: https://www.amazon.com/Trusty-966770.../dp/B00O4J2OXE
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #338
Skoolie

MY waste connect is already outside a bay - that would suck to have to fish a waste hose! I just pop my power cable through to connect which has a tail to make it easy...

Those pass through hatches are pretty sweet idea though - I wouldn't want a sewer connect "in" a bay though, idea of a hose leak inside bay is no fun.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #339
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
wow, talk about doing it right....you are doing a fantastic job at everything you do. I look at your stuff here and its like "hey, thats how I WISH it would've turned out, or man i WISH mine could be like that." seriously awesome job and I hope I know as much as you one day.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #340
Mini-Skoolie

Offgr1d, I'd like to start reading some of the info you read on the yacht climate control systems to get some basic education in place.

Of all of the systems you've tackled, that one seems the most complex/foreign to me. It's not the cost that scares me as much as finding someone to help me like you did.

Even a copy of the craigslist post you created to solicit help would be helpful.

Any names of forums, links to stuff, whatever will be very helpful.