Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #361
Mini-Skoolie

Talking Wow!

I just don't even know what to say! This build is amazing and you inspire and encourage me to take on my own! This is pretty much my first post but after finding your thread and reading through all 36 pages in one sitting I just had to say something at the end after my jaw was just completely dropped the whole time.

I'm a single full time dad and I've been researching the old school bus route as I could get one cheap and I'm on a pretty tight budget. Doing all the work myself and my son and I living in it as we go just to escape the horrible rent of a house or an apartment with nothing to show for it in the end. Now my thoughts are why not wait a little bit longer and find a vanhool once budget allows.. Just love everything about your build! thank you.

Will be following you for sure! I just recently moved to washington state from California actually right near ontario (murrieta/temecula) wanted to go the bus route as well so that I can go back to california and travel around without ever leaving home!

tfarrskoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #362
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Van Hool
Chassis: T2140
Engine: Cummins M11+ 450hp
Send a message via AIM to Whims and Wishes Send a message via MSN to Whims and Wishes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdicat View Post
I've already had it registered as an RV and the insurance company wants photos of the conversion (bed, sink, cooking area). I'm thinking I might just mock up something and snap a few photos and get the RV insurance!
Our only worry with that is what happens if we get into an accident. What then? The insurance would be a nightmare for us!
Whims and Wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #363
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Van Hool
Chassis: T2140
Engine: Cummins M11+ 450hp
Send a message via AIM to Whims and Wishes Send a message via MSN to Whims and Wishes
Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfarrskoolbus View Post
I just don't even know what to say! This build is amazing and you inspire and encourage me to take on my own! This is pretty much my first post but after finding your thread and reading through all 36 pages in one sitting I just had to say something at the end after my jaw was just completely dropped the whole time.

I'm a single full time dad and I've been researching the old school bus route as I could get one cheap and I'm on a pretty tight budget. Doing all the work myself and my son and I living in it as we go just to escape the horrible rent of a house or an apartment with nothing to show for it in the end. Now my thoughts are why not wait a little bit longer and find a vanhool once budget allows.. Just love everything about your build! thank you.

Will be following you for sure! I just recently moved to washington state from California actually right near ontario (murrieta/temecula) wanted to go the bus route as well so that I can go back to california and travel around without ever leaving home!
We just bought a Van Hool as well and have it gutted and are beginning our build stage. Don't regret it a bit. They are well built and great vehicles. Good luck!
Whims and Wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #364
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whims and Wishes View Post
We have Progressive but they were a no-go here in Ohio. We will check out National General for sure. It would be nice to use it a bit during construction. Thanks for this information as well all the inspiration in your forum posts. Great job you're doing on your Van Hool. Can't wait to put some of your ideas into ours!

im in ohio with progressive no issues..

progressive Commercial. and then state "commercial vehicle for personal use".. dont go online, Call the commerical division

if they ask "staying a bus?" "yep!". once you get it converted then go and get RV insuranced from say nat gen.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #365
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Caterpillar 3116
Rated Cap: 78?
Haven't seen anything from the Van Hool in a while? I know they are up to something very cool,...............................
Scott Marcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #366
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Started a bus company last I heard.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #367

Ended up calling our business insurance agent and he had a quote and insurance for us in less than a day. Progressive Commercial.
Cdicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #368
Mini-Skoolie

How much did it run ya, if you don't mind me asking?
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #369
Skoolie

Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
I'm alive! Lol
Been working on bus and lots of visits last few weeks - had a mini conversion meetup for a minute here - RV Chief Prevost from you tube came out to Vegas and we had a blast talking bus stuff for a week - also hung out with Fred from Onenationundergoat!!

Last thing of done was completely integrate a wifi thermostat to the entire chiller and heat system on bus - now I can turn it on before I even get home and monitor temp in bus at all times from my phone - It's awesome!!!

I'll post pics soon. Also finished the other side of the lounge cellular shades and moulding..
Been playing with live video and might start broadcasting during all my build sessions - still playing / still contemplating it....

As for the bus company - yes, it's in the works - but not "started" yet... looking at legals and checking what market would be best for a launch or first bus build. Small band tour / rental in Vegas / custom build &sales... Hmmmm
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #370
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
If ya have to ask...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #371
Mini-Skoolie

Pics! Pics! Pics!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 AM   #372
Skoolie

So sorry no posts in a while. Been busy with family and my community. I'm on a bus work weekend in CA with my dad - I gotta take some pics. Currently building the back room and fold out bed / office plan.

Figured out some finish work design. Stay tuned!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #373
Mini-Skoolie

Fold out bed / office sound awesome.

I work from home a bunch in my sales job so I need a proper desk and office space with room for a monitor mount, etc.

I can't wait to see what you devise!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Sorry, haven't been on the forum to check lately. Insurance was less than $500 for the year
Cdicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #375
Skoolie

Crazy NEWS!!!

I got another addition to the bus family -
My dad and I purchased a 1997 Gillig Phantom for our first test of conversion build to sell. It will be a side project now along mine (with a much accelerated timeline) to convert. We want to show what's possible with a transit bus.

I'll start a new topic for her soon, but in all it is an amazing bus, drove great from CA to Nevada and drove the Cajon pass and baker grade like a champ ��

Never enough projects on my plate - I know I'm crazy to take on another, oh well ��

Old 04-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #376
Skoolie

Updated my door controls - did some paint and bondo work to eliminate hole and made the sensor on the backside of glass.. awesome modern look I think
Old 04-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #377
Skoolie

Finally some good progress and frameout of the back room and window portholes
Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #378
Skoolie

Here is the new wifi thermostat I put in controlling the entire chiller system:

Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #379
Skoolie

Because of the main AC being up top level with much more volume of space the sleep bay needed a small set of controls that shuts off fans / system for that zone control in case it gets too cold or hot (which sometimes I would freeze sleeping when air was on and ice cold air blowing right on me) so this helps a lot

Still gotta paint the plate black, but it's all functional (fan speed and temp)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #380
Skoolie

Here is a closeup of the new Gillig Phantom
Detroit S50
Allison B400R

This bus will be for sale converted in the next 6months hopefully (fingers crossed)