Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #401
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Free to user forums like this one can't afford to host everyone's pix nor should they be expected to. Mine are on Flickr...which I pay for.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #402
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Even if imagur is used I cannot change image links for the past posts on the thread, so the current thread is dead, also say a year down the road imagur decides to screw everybody and charge outrageous amounts or get acquired by some other company - what then?
The time involvement is not worth putting into another service other than my OWN website. I think that's the bottom line. I don't know if anybody else is discouraged on here, but the idea was to archive and document a build. Now it's Gone.
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
Even if imagur is used I cannot change image links for the past posts on the thread, so the current thread is dead, also say a year down the road imagur decides to screw everybody and charge outrageous amounts or get acquired by some other company - what then?
The time involvement is not worth putting into another service other than my OWN website. I think that's the bottom line. I don't know if anybody else is discouraged on here, but the idea was to archive and document a build. Now it's Gone.

Offgr1d,

I have quitely enjoyed the thread for the past year, and for myself am totally bummed that the thread is dead. . One thought might be to move to video and use youtube as a medium for sharing updates. Some of the things you have done with this motorhome conversion are both groundbreaking and inventive. I hate to see lack of pictures ending the thread. As a father of two teenage girls, it is also great to see a female getting out there and doing this.

Bryan
bsmurf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #404
Mini-Skoolie

I am gutted that this thread has gone for a burton.
This thread has been an inspiration for me to get myself a coach and make it home.
All I can say is please let us know the URL for your website when you have it.

I'll still stalk you on twitter and instagram <3
Auwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #405
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
this forum software I believe is free.. so if we want to run our own forum we just spin up a server on AWS or host it at someone;s own network.. and off we go with as offgrid says enough space to locally host images and such... id be interested to see how much traffic a bus conversion forum gets as far as web hits, connections, and bandwidth usage..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #406
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
I hope you can figure out a way to make this site work Cadillack because I am not going to Facebook and I don't know of any other site that has all of the expertise that this one has.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #407
Bus Geek

I have no plans of starting and maintaining another site.. im just stating that the technicalities of build and installing a forum server are not that difficult.. Ive run boards over the years and dont want the political headaches of doing it..

with photobucket its ultimately up to the individual thread owners to either re-host their images or buy a photobucket account..

as much as it sucks to see the data loss, its really the only way. I suppose a script could be written to scrape photo links off of each page and snag the photobucket link, and then scrape the image off of PB.. however the nightmare becomes that there is no open API given t ouse from skoolie to where we could write a program to auto upload each image and properly link it in a thread.

im sure i could write the software to do it.. but im currently neck deep in a major product release (my second flagship product) so time to write code for this is Nill..
-Christopher
Old 07-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #408
Skoolie

I'm working on one...
as I said before I have hosting and if I'm gonna build a new site it may as well be for others to use as well. There are Sooooo many other style conversions out there besides just skoolies - I'm in no way saying this forum is bad, but if I'm gonna put time in document the rest of my build and the next transit I'm doing - it will be one managed by me. In the next few weeks I should have something live.

I'm also starting up on my YouTube and Instagram @offgr1d
Old 07-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #409
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
I'm working on one...
as I said before I have hosting and if I'm gonna build a new site it may as well be for others to use as well. There are Sooooo many other style conversions out there besides just skoolies - I'm in no way saying this forum is bad, but if I'm gonna put time in document the rest of my build and the next transit I'm doing - it will be one managed by me. In the next few weeks I should have something live.

I'm also starting up on my YouTube and Instagram @offgr1d
Me and some other members were gonna start a site of our own back a couple years ago. The trolling on here from gnats used to be unreal.
Best of luck in all your endeavors!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #410
Bus Geek

I love the idea of an all types of busses and all types of conversions.. I really think thoug hthat this site is welcome to coaches and skoolies alike.. at least it seems in the last year or 2 there have been more coaches and even transit / shuttle conversions pop up on here..

we also seem to be seeing different types of conversions too.. theres everything from tiny homes to mobile dog groomers, campers, art studios, family cruisers, etc. . to fragment out the community into a bunch of boards seems counter-productive..

if the issues is that the ownders of this site are constrained for $$ by their hosting space .. (I have no idea what type of setup this site is running on).. then perhaps premium memberships of $20-$30 a Year would cover the costs of adding an additional few Gigs of Virtual storage for people's pics and albums.. im assuming this is running on a hosted space somewhere or a cloud service like AWS? I have a dozen or so AWS instances of my own and they dont cost that much to have pretty good storage capabilities on them..
-Christopher
Old 07-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #411
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I'm hosting my pics on my dropbox area. So far they've been fine with the hosting, but should dropbox change their Ts&Cs I'll have a broken thread as well. (But for now I don't have nearly the work into my bus that you do in yours.)

I was following this thread with soooo much interest. Please let us know where you go.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #412
Bus Geek

I'd rather have this be free and just keep using Imgur.
No reason to start throwing money around just because photbucket is cashing in their chips. They sucked anyways.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #413
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd rather have this be free and just keep using Imgur.
No reason to start throwing money around just because photbucket is cashing in their chips. They sucked anyways.
i agree except when will imgur go paid? all these services get people hooked then start charging... same with "trial software" in business.. fall in love with it then have to pay to keep it..

-Christopher
Old 07-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #414
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
i agree except when will imgur go paid? all these services get people hooked then start charging... same with "trial software" in business.. fall in love with it then have to pay to keep it..

-Christopher
I've had my account for 2 or 3 years and they've never mentioned money or tried to sell me anything at least as far as I'm aware.
If they do, I'll just move along to whatever one is free.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #415
Mini-Skoolie

Also keen to hear where you go, i'm just a loiterer (planning a build in 1-2 years), but an interested loiterer
piston9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #416
Skoolie

Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #417
Skoolie

new video! some old footage but finally edited something...

Old 04-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #418
Skoolie

YAY!!!! my couch has been updated to full custom installed lounge seating!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #419
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
It's official! You are the queen of bus conversions and the rest of us are unworthy pretenders. Awesome job!!
Old 04-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #420
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Very nice! Hope my New Flyer turns out half as good as your Van Hool....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote