Old 06-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: TMC
Chassis: MC-9
Engine: Detroit 6v92 TA
Rated Cap: More than I need
84 tmc mc-9

I thought I would share my progress so far. Gutting the coach was a pain. But once that was done and the new floor put in my wife and I have started building it back up. We have a long ways to go but the project is going well.
We plan on putting a 12,000 btu mini split in the front and the back of the coach. We are planning on living in the bus full time. It seems like alot of room till you try to figure out places my wife and I and our 3 kids to sleep.

Stngllhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stngllhm View Post
I thought I would share my progress so far. Gutting the coach was a pain. But once that was done and the new floor put in my wife and I have started building it back up. We have a long ways to go but the project is going well.
We plan on putting a 12,000 btu mini split in the front and the back of the coach. We are planning on living in the bus full time. It seems like alot of room till you try to figure out places my wife and I and our 3 kids to sleep.

you have room in the basement for a couple of spare bedrooms
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for sharing, I'd love to convert one of those MCIs too in the future.
How bad is the rust in your bus? Doesn't seem like you had to replace wheel wells etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
you have room in the basement for a couple of spare bedrooms
You could build a little hatch going down from inside the bus so your kids could have a playing cave down there. I am sure they would love it!
caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: TMC
Chassis: MC-9
Engine: Detroit 6v92 TA
Rated Cap: More than I need
My bus was built in New Mexico and has spent its life in New Mexico so I have like no rust. MCI built the buses flat and shipped them to Roswell NM where TMC did the final assembly. It is identical to a MCI it even says MCI on the front of the bus but the vin plate and all the gauges say TMC. You have to love dry climates. As far as the basement goes good ideas for a playroom, but I’m using one bay for my mechanical area, one for my tools, and one for storage.
Stngllhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stngllhm View Post
We plan on putting a 12,000 btu mini split in the front and the back of the coach.
Deciding to use a mini-split system is very wise.

I've been absolutely heartsick over not knowing anything about mini-split systems. I thought that I would depend upon my original Prevost system for so much of the HVAC needs and so, I left the duckwork all in place. It has been a major PITA working around it. Now that I've been committed to using it, I learn about mini-splits and I realize that I could have ripped all that stuff out of my bus and been way ahead for it.

I will not make this mistake on any future buses.