Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
can't work ON my conversion until I find my bus, -- but --

can't work on my conversion until I find the bus that suits me, but my thoughts turn to how it will look on the outside - perhaps the Greyhound bus's 'swoop' with a team of dogs painted on the sides using a friend's design ( with permission ) to create the look representing a team of sleddogs racing across the side of the skoolie, with lettering that says, 'Spirit of the North' ( my kennel name ) - after all, my skoolie will be used to transport the sleddogs and us to the races
Attached Thumbnails
bus greyhound.jpg   mandy logo.jpg  

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Sounds unique. Post up your final rendering if you are looking for feedback from us...
Sled dogs in general don't look like a sleek Greyhound, so no worries of copyright issues. Even if you copied Greyhound, I doubt they'd go after you as you wouldn't be competing with them on transporting people...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Sounds unique. Post up your final rendering if you are looking for feedback from us...
Sled dogs in general don't look like a sleek Greyhound, so no worries of copyright issues. Even if you copied Greyhound, I doubt they'd go after you as you wouldn't be competing with them on transporting people...
alaskan huskies are the most commonly used sprint racing sled dogs - you don't see much of them unless you go to the races because the media thinks the much slower 'fuzzy butts' are prettier
Attached Thumbnails
6 dog DESIRE 6 dog team Dudsbury 2012.jpg  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
alaskan huskies are the most commonly used sprint racing sled dogs - you don't see much of them unless you go to the races because the media thinks the much slower 'fuzzy butts' are prettier
here's young 'Noah', already a super star
Attached Thumbnails
Noah fence 1.jpg  
Old 04-17-2019, 01:30 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
here's young 'Noah', already a super star
He just does not "look" like he could withstand the cold of the north. I never would have guessed it if someone had shown me that picture (not you) and asked if this dog was COLD weather ready! I guess that says more about how little I know about sled dogs.

Is Noah your lead dog?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
He just does not "look" like he could withstand the cold of the north. I never would have guessed it if someone had shown me that picture (not you) and asked if this dog was COLD weather ready! I guess that says more about how little I know about sled dogs.

Is Noah your lead dog?
these dogs have short very dense double coats - they are bred that way on purpose so they can dissipate the heat while running ( picture yourself running for miles wearing a heavy fur coat - ) - where I live, although we live in a snow belt, the average winter temperature is zero Celsius, so they really never develop a very heavy coat - I have sold the odd dog to mushers that live further north where winters are much colder and was surprised to see how heavy a coat they did develop in that climate - Noah and both of his littermates are happy to run lead, but both Noah and his brother are so strong, their greatest value to me is as a wheel dog ( that's the dogs that run right in front of the sled and have the toughest job in the team - the wheel dogs can make just about any musher look like an expert sled handler or a complete novice - lol - they're main job is keeping the sled on the trail in the corners - sometimes a sharp corner can pull a sled too far inside the corner in heavy snow or fly wide with the centrifugal force in a sharp corner on an icy trail and it's the wheel dog's job at times to work against the power of the team to keep the musher from crashing - - the best sprint teams can average 3 minute miles for 20 miles and hit top speeds much higher - I'be been clocked on radar coming out of the start chute at 36 MPH with a 6 dog team - it's a very addictive sport - you never stop learning, whether it's about breeding good dogs, what food to feed for best performance, or training techniques that improve performance while making it even more fun for the dogs - here's a clip of one of my 10 dog teams taking my granddaughter and a friend for a ride - total weight of the toboggan, the passengers and me is 550 lbs we did the 4 mile trail in 4 minutes flat ( although my granddaughter says differently in the video, she had the time wrong ) https://www.facebook.com/iforget2/vi...0693631056427/
Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:

Is Noah your lead dog?
I designed a bumper sticker and a friend put it together on her computer
Attached Thumbnails
addictive_hq 1.jpg  
Old 04-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
these dogs have short very dense double coats - they are bred that way on purpose so they can dissipate the heat while running ( picture yourself running for miles wearing a heavy fur coat - ) - where I live, although we live in a snow belt, the average winter temperature is zero Celsius, so they really never develop a very heavy coat - I have sold the odd dog to mushers that live further north where winters are much colder and was surprised to see how heavy a coat they did develop in that climate - Noah and both of his littermates are happy to run lead, but both Noah and his brother are so strong, their greatest value to me is as a wheel dog ( that's the dogs that run right in front of the sled and have the toughest job in the team - the wheel dogs can make just about any musher look like an expert sled handler or a complete novice - lol - they're main job is keeping the sled on the trail in the corners - sometimes a sharp corner can pull a sled too far inside the corner in heavy snow or fly wide with the centrifugal force in a sharp corner on an icy trail and it's the wheel dog's job at times to work against the power of the team to keep the musher from crashing - - the best sprint teams can average 3 minute miles for 20 miles and hit top speeds much higher - I'be been clocked on radar coming out of the start chute at 36 MPH with a 6 dog team - it's a very addictive sport - you never stop learning, whether it's about breeding good dogs, what food to feed for best performance, or training techniques that improve performance while making it even more fun for the dogs - here's a clip of one of my 10 dog teams taking my granddaughter and a friend for a ride - total weight of the toboggan, the passengers and me is 550 lbs we did the 4 mile trail in 4 minutes flat ( although my granddaughter says differently in the video, she had the time wrong ) https://www.facebook.com/iforget2/vi...0693631056427/
I just realised I made a typo - that should read "we did the 4 mile trail in 12 minutes flat "
Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
I just realised I made a typo - that should read "we did the 4 mile trail in 12 minutes flat "
Okay, that sounds better. Otherwise, it would be 60 MPH!

Thank you for the detailed description of the wheel dog duties. It was facinating!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:26 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Okay, that sounds better. Otherwise, it would be 60 MPH!

Thank you for the detailed description of the wheel dog duties. It was facinating!
lol - I was taking a Dale Carnegie course one time and we were required to draw a subject out of a hat and give a 2 minute speech about the subject we drew - my subject was 'why is it important to train your dog?' - I bet it took me five minutes to figure out how to limit my answer to just two minutes - lol - it would have been easier to give a ten minute speech
Old 04-18-2019, 01:51 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:

The link says I do not have permission to view or video is unavailable. My wife is looking at your facebook page now hoping to see it posted there.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

I'll try again - it's just youtube - I also added it to my page

https://www.facebook.com/iforget2/vi...50693631056427
Old 04-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
Quote:
lol - I was taking a Dale Carnegie course one time and we were required to draw a subject out of a hat and give a 2 minute speech about the subject we drew - my subject was 'why is it important to train your dog?' - I bet it took me five minutes to figure out how to limit my answer to just two minutes - lol - it would have been easier to give a ten minute speech
I remember taking that course, too. It was very good and there are rarely any days that go by where I don't remember some important lesson.

But to answer the question as to why it is important to train your dog, that's easy:

You train your dog because a well behaved dog doesn't need killing.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Haven't heard from ya in a while, man. Hope you're doing well.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote