Old 09-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Thanks but I can not take credit for that .

Today I checked on Dory about locating a leak but I found this:

School Bus Conversion Resources - joeblack5's Album: not a skoolie - Picture

Did not climb on top since it was raining. So i hope it is only one but could be two.

Kids were pretty bummed out, I was kind of relieved that no glass or mirror was broken. The panel protected the structural aluminum beam. If that would have gotten dented then it would have been a major pain to fix that.

Funny enough yesterday I checked up on one of our student rentals we have in State College and discovered a clogged sewer line. I felt very fortunate that I noticed it before the whole basement would have filled up with poop. Today I found this branch but i still feel fortunate because this could have been a lot worse.

Later Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 IDI
Rated Cap: 14
Be sure to get that panel unhooked and removed ASAP. Would hate for it to arc out and cause a fire the first time full sun hits it again.

At minimum, cover them up to prevent them from making power.

Sorry about the damage but looks pretty minor. Glad it wasn't worse.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Sorry to see that Johan - those trees can be evil - stay away!!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

prep for palooza 2018

Thanks all, Our solar system is split in three with separate charge controllers and fuses. Redundancy. Not much chance that something could go wrong there.

Put another same age panel on there.

The pressure is on now that we have decided that we want to be in quartzsite around mid january 2019 and join skoolie palooza.

There is so much work to do, finishing is hard, I admire these people who can actually get done with a project.

it was 40-45F last night in State College, somewhat similar temp as night in southern AZ. So we decide to see if our webasto TSL17 heating was up to the task and it passed. The floor was nice and warm but thanks to Chris I had installed and extra radiator with fan and that saved the night. With Fan on we brought it up to 70 F and maintained. The webasto is still cycling so Dory could use some radiator capacity.

The overall Ah used from 5PM afternoon to 7AM morning was 30AH at 24 volt. Not great , not bad.

Today some more isolation and a first attempt to separate the driver entrance mudroom from the living quarters.

Later Johan
Old 10-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Succeeded in separating the "mudroom" driver / entrance part. Made two "door" posts and a lexan window above and on the side. Not completely finished but enough to do a second test. Last night it got a little colder at 42F. The cold draft from the entrance door was completely gone. Inside temperature was nice and toasty. Did not have enough time to finish the insulation improvement job i had in mind.
Pictures to follow.

Struggling a little with my lithium conversion. The 24 Voltage is factory split in 12 and 24 volt with additional help of a battery equalizer. That means that I need even cells sets , so 3 and 3 or 4 and 4. If i charge to a safe 4.0 / 4.1 Volt then that would mean 16 /16.4 Volt

The highest voltage for a floating lead acid at -40F is 2.55Volt/ cell so 15.3 volt. The charging voltage is 2.85Volt/cell ( at -40F) is 17.1 Volt.
For my 24 volt system that would mean that all components are at least rated to 34.2 Volt.

The surepower equalizer 52210 can handle maximum 36 volt without damage and stops operating at 34 Volt. So this all seems to be in specification.

So my plan is to use 4 Nissan Leaf 8volt modules in series for an overall fully charged voltage of 32 volt .
Any other techies out there with comments / ideas?

Thanks J

Later J
Old 10-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Thanks all, Our solar system is split in three with separate charge controllers and fuses. Redundancy. Not much chance that something could go wrong there.

Put another same age panel on there.

The pressure is on now that we have decided that we want to be in quartzsite around mid january 2019 and join skoolie palooza.

There is so much work to do, finishing is hard, I admire these people who can actually get done with a project.

it was 40-45F last night in State College, somewhat similar temp as night in southern AZ. So we decide to see if our webasto TSL17 heating was up to the task and it passed. The floor was nice and warm but thanks to Chris I had installed and extra radiator with fan and that saved the night. With Fan on we brought it up to 70 F and maintained. The webasto is still cycling so Dory could use some radiator capacity.

The overall Ah used from 5PM afternoon to 7AM morning was 30AH at 24 volt. Not great , not bad.

Today some more isolation and a first attempt to separate the driver entrance mudroom from the living quarters.

Later Johan

great to know the little webasto can heat a decent space.. I still have my brand new one in a box to install before fall.. Oops! missed that one.. but my plan for it is to pipe and valve it so I can eventually use it to warm my engine when needed but also as a heat source with just the bus heaters in my shortie for napping or pre-warming before a trip. sounds like the TSL-17 is up to that task.. great stuff!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome to the club. We had the front end of the E450 Thomas hit by a tree.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Steve, that sucks, any photo's?

later J
Old 10-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Steve, that sucks, any photo's?

later J
I posted pics when it happened. I am not finding them now. It dented the fender, hood & roof. Damaged two mirrors.

Thank goodness for good insurance
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Back to the grind, time is running out. Wanted to improve the insulation a little after i found condense on the thermal breaks.
Dory is almost all aluminum and had 2" original aluminized foam sheet insulation. i have improved on that on several area's with an additional 2" or 1-1/2" .
Here I took the original HVAC duct out to clean up wiring and gain storage space.

I will add a 3/4" nailer to the aluminum brackets and TG to cover it up. The remaining ( small) air duct will go only to the driver.
Progress is made but it is very slow.

Later J