Old 07-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

I'm in love with a '61 MCI

Hello, I am new here and we are looking for our first conversion. We have not ruled out skoolies but I ran across a retro 1961 mci bus that has had a partial conversion. The bus has 40k miles on a rebuilt engine,new axels , tires, work on the transmission and a bunch of other random small engine stuff. Does anybody know what other mechanical factors that we need to consider with this bus? We don't know anything about these coach buses but I am really leaning towards this idea. Thanks in advance!!
Ineedabus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Would really need to know specifics of the drive train, what engine and trans is in it?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Hello o1marc! Thank you for your reply! Below you will see the copied text with the engine info from the ad:
The bus underwent a major rehaul in 1970 after a short life as a Canadian tour bus. It has been well maintained and has many new parts, including: a new 6V92T engine with jake brakes, a 10 speed Fuller transmission with overdrive, and Ross Intergal power steering. The rear axle has been rebuilt, and new front windshields and mount rubbers have been installed.

I dont know if this helps? I do know that there are 50k miles on the new engine.
Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabus1 View Post
Hello o1marc! Thank you for your reply! Below you will see the copied text with the engine info from the ad:
The bus underwent a major rehaul in 1970 after a short life as a Canadian tour bus. It has been well maintained and has many new parts, including: a new 6V92T engine with jake brakes, a 10 speed Fuller transmission with overdrive, and Ross Intergal power steering. The rear axle has been rebuilt, and new front windshields and mount rubbers have been installed.

I dont know if this helps? I do know that there are 50k miles on the new engine.
Thanks again!
Put 10k miles on it since your first post? That helps tremendously. Everything you listed now is more important than anything in the OP. Sounds like a nice bus if the price is right.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabus1 View Post

Thanks again!
Sounds dreamy!
It doesn't get any better than that.
GO FOR IT
Old 07-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Apparently.�� When my husband read the ad to me last night I thought he said 40k ( optimistic thinking I guess..)
Old 07-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Word to the wise: "Canadian" might well be a red flag for hidden rust!
Hopefully your new find is structurally solid, and well maintained body wise as well...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Word to the wise: "Canadian" might well be a red flag for hidden rust!
Hopefully your new find is structurally solid, and well maintained body wise as well...
Ontario and parts of Quebec are bad for rust - southern BC eehhh? - northern BC and the prairie provinces produce some rust free or almost rust free vehicles
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Smile

Is there a way to tell which part of Canada it's from? I have e mailed the seller but I'm not sure if they would know since they aren't the original owners. Also, it's hard to tell from the photos I have received so far but it looks like there is some damage to the chrome side panel on one side. It looks a little warped in spots. I realize that it is pushing 60 yrs old so i would expect some minor stuff. I dont think it's a huge deal ( unless it was in a wreck or something) but it almost looks like good sized door dings..I have no idea how hard that would be to fix. Obviously I would consult with a body shop..just thinking aloud here. I am going to need to travel 500 miles to look at it. I'm expecting more photos so I will try to post a couple. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190706-194610_Chrome.jpg (908.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20190706_195622.jpg (366.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
Ontario and parts of Quebec are bad for rust - southern BC eehhh? - northern BC and the prairie provinces produce some rust free or almost rust free vehicles
Makes sense I guess, but I'd still go over it carefully. Do they not use any salt on snow covered roadways in BC?
No clue where this one was mostly used though, from OP's posts...?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote