Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #241
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42
Re: Jacuzzi Bus IV

Awesome!

So ... When does the bus for Jacuzzi Bus V arrive?

Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #242
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
SOLD! for $18,500

whoo hoo

he's flying in wednessday to pick the bus up.
Well that's just great!! Well done.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #243
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex
Awesome!

So ... When does the bus for Jacuzzi Bus V arrive?
i've now decided to try and make my fortunes in real estate. Houses here are the cheapest they've ever been in my lifetime. I just bought a house that appraised at $100K for $34K because it needed a roof. Banks don't want to lend money for houses that need significant repairs ie: furnace, roof, plumbing. Now that i fixed it up anybody can get a loan. I'm gonna sell this house for a $50K profit and buy another....and another...

so jacuzzi bus V will happen, but there are no immediate plans.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #244
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

nice to see the bus sell man it must be great to be able to get a house for 34k. here on van island houses are all over 200k,that being a fixer upper building lots for a planejaner are 140to 160k you should have a ball with those prices have fun!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #245
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: City Bird
Engine: DT570
Rated Cap: 15

Hey guys. I figure since I will be owning JB4, I should join this network! Surely lots of things to learn here. It's going to take forever to get that baby all the way down here to New Braunfels, TX. Home of the Comal and Guadalupe River (people tubing), Schlitterbahn Waterparks, within 45 miles of the largest university in the country, and 15 miles from another mega-party school. This bus I think will be very well accepted around here.
skylinelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #246
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinelimo
Hey guys. I figure since I will be owning JB4, I should join this network! Surely lots of things to learn here. It's going to take forever to get that baby all the way down here to New Braunfels, TX. Home of the Comal and Guadalupe River (people tubing), Schlitterbahn Waterparks, within 45 miles of the largest university in the country, and 15 miles from another mega-party school. This bus I think will be very well accepted around here.
Welcome!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 AM   #247
Bus Nut

Awesome, keep us updated.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #248
Mini-Skoolie

Excellent! It is due to be picked up around 3 o'clock or so. I'm confident there aren't problems that would make us balk at the purchase; Jason seems like a very candid and honest guy. I've had to deal with 2 crooked sellers recently (as Jason would say: bold face liars), so this is refreshing. Target arrival time is by midnight tomorrow evening. That is somewhat ambitious, but my partner is stoked to get it down here asap. We are only talking ~60mph the whole way.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #249
Bus Geek

just got home from selling the bus. Allen from skylinelimo seems like a pretty good guy. He has a good sense of humor too. After looking at the bus for a while he said something like "i don't think i want it." Then he's like just kiddin'. I thought that was funny.

hopefully it'll make the trip without any problems. there is always risk when driving any vehicle all the way across the country. Detroit Diesel builds near bulletproof engines though, so things should be fine.

i hope he and his business partner make lots and lots of money with it, and have themselves some good times. I can't immagine hauling binki clad college girls around on a daily basis, sounds like there is no fun to be had there!

--Jason
Old 09-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #250
Mini-Skoolie

Jason et al,
We will keep you guys updated on the Party Index of the bus. Skyline Limo is slated to provide promotion support to a Wet Grooves event coming to San Antonio (see attached flyer) on September 13. What better place to unveil the Jakoozie Bus? (What do you think of the name?)
Attached Thumbnails
Flyer Front.jpg   Flyer Back.jpg  
Old 09-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #251
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Jason,
Alan can't get above 55-58mph. Comments?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #252
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Here is a post from a thread in the wayback machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
i can hear/feel the trans shift from first to 4th gear. I found the axle ratio, and the tire size is easy enough to come by as well as max rpm for a 6v71

max rpm: 2350
axle rato: 4.56:1
tire height: 41.3 inches
final drive ratio: 1:1

max speed 63.34

unless that trans has overdrive which is very unlikely, someone is not telling the truth when he states it'll cruise an indicated 70 or 75 mph on the speedo which he believes to be an actual 80 -85 mph. I tested the speedo vs my gps and found the speedo to be off less than 4% ie: when speedo sais 50 mph the bus is moving almost 52 mph according to gps.

wonder how i can identify the transmission....perhaps i can find a tag on the unit when i crawl under there.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
58 mph * 1.04 (to account for the 4% discrepancy)=60.32 mph which I believe is what he quoted as a flat ground top speed. It's quite possible that it slows down from there. A bus will see a hill that you don't and slow down. I know mine does.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #253
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinelimo
Hi Jason,
Alan can't get above 55-58mph. Comments?
I know the bus is slow, but i did warn you about that before you bid. Driving it for hundreds of miles at a time must be painful. I remember how grouchy i was when i was driving the bus home for the first time. Especially since the guy i bought it from claimed it would cruise at like 70-75mph with a max speed of 80-85. This is exactly the reason that i made sure to warn potential buyers about the bus' slow speed. On a downgrade the bus won't go over about 63 mph as the engine helps to hold the bus back. That is the fastest the bus will go.

Before bidding, when you guys called me on the phone i made sure to mention that the bus is very slow.

here is a quote I sent to you guys from the "ask seller a question" forum on ebay before you bid. I included this in my response even though the original question had nothing to do with how fast the bus will go.

Quote:
"...I drove the bus home from arizona just less than a year ago, and it is quite slow on the expressway compared to other traffic. Just want you to be aware of that before you bid. It's a great running bus, but it's a former city bus and wasn't engineered for highway travel"
I hope allen has a safe problem free trip home to texas.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #254
Mini-Skoolie

Jason, easy boy. I'm not accusing but your reaction was interesting nonetheless. We don't really have a problem with the speed and I bet there is a hill that is contributing that is imperceivable. I ride bikes and if the road isn't perfectly flat, my legs feel it for sure. I'm posting these questions in the spirit of the forum: progress. Which brings me to my next question: Alan is in Arkansas at the moment, and the cruising speed has dropped to about 52mph. Could there be other things contributing to this other than a hill? I am an engineer and machines don't do things without a reason. I am just diesel-dumb and thought maybe some of you guys can bring some insight.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #255
Mini-Skoolie

(Jason, Ah yes I see the ~4% speedo difference in your last message -- thanks) I welcome further feedback by you or others on my previous post.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #256
Bus Nut

A bus is going to feel even the slightest hills, also wind could be a factor. The front of a bus is about as aerodynamic as a barn, so it's going to feel it when there's an extra 10mph wind blowing at you vs with you... which will effect your top speed.

My bus can usually cruise along at 70+ with little effort, but some days it's working hard to even hit 65, also at varying speeds my fuel economy can very from 6.5mpg (Wide open throttle) to over 12 if I keep it at 55mph. Slight variations you don't notice in a car make a big difference in an old bus, a good comparison is riding a pedal bike - which skyline has already mentioned.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #257
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

If you're losing speed I'd be looking at fuel pressure. I would think Jason changed the fuel filters, but he also didn't run the bus that much. It's quite possible the filters are plugged and it's time to change them. Since the fuel is timed and direct injected you don't have to worry about a lean mix preigniting and melting down pistons on a diesel, but less fuel is going to mean less power. It might be something to look at.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #258
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Jimmy, thanks Phil. Yah don't worry, I wasn't trying to accuse Jason. I called him and had a good "bus chat". All is swell. JB4 is probably going to arrive here in New Braunfels around 10pm. I hope Alan makes it okay. I call him at least every hour and a half. He has been driving essentially nonstop, including through the night. Last time I called him, he said that he had a bit of trouble -- he for some reason thought he was following someone and didn't recognize where he was (time for sleep man!). A slight break from reality, but he says he is okay now. He stopped in Memphis at a truck stop to have a mechanic give it a once-over for safe measure and confirmed an oil leak and identified the source: the engine seal at the back (?). Something like that -- they gave a ballpark cost to replace the $10 gasket and let's just say it was alot, haha. It involves loosening the engine etc. It is a leak that looks big to a gasoline guy, but the mechanic said it really isn't that bad. No worries though. We are going to get it fixed on Monday as we have a mechanic that has already said he'll do it on barter. I propose to continue this thread at least as long as we have the bus (which should be a good while!) and give you all tales of its adventures and challenges. We already have plans for altering the front seating area to increase the seating capacity and of course not even touch the jacuzzi or the rear seating. We are going to just tweak the front a little -- and it includes a stripper pole.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #259
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks "experience". You posted in the middle of my typing. Yeah we were thinking maybe fuel pressure/filter needs to be looked at so will check it out.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #260
Bus Nut

check the air filter and make sure that the intake flex hoses are not sucking closed and restricting air flow to the engine. the next thing to look at would be the throttle linkage, does the pedal open the linkage at the engine completely and hold it fimly against the stop? next check turbo pressure and intercooler function/pressure and pressure drop across the cooler as well as temp drop.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote