Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #351
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: City Bird
Engine: DT570
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Jacuzzi Bus IV

Jimmy, Yah I spoke with Ian there last week. They proposed something but I'll probably go with the original supplier of the 165amp alternator I have now in order to save some money. On a side note, the batteries "aren't worth a poop" according to the auto parts store. Still a good warranty left on them, so didn't have to pay too much to get them replaced. I will still get an extra alternator. Gonna re-paint the flames that are on the clear plastic entry doors. It has chipped off too much. Hi-idle switch too, gotta get that working right so the alty can feed the batteries better at standstill...
skylinelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #352
Mini-Skoolie

I think that I solved the ThisBusEatsBatteries problem. As shown earlier in this forum, all the accessories are run by a 24V/165A alternator feeding two 12V deep cycles connected in series. 12V radio power was tapped off of one of the batteries. Pleading ignorance, I didn't realize this was a cardinal sin (nor did the shops I solicited help from), to take 12V loads off of a 24V bank no matter how relatively small. I have installed a Surepower Industries 100A battery equalizer. This keeps voltages identical between the batteries by pulling current from the non-loaded battery and charging the loaded battery. Without it, the loaded battery would become undercharged, and the unloaded battery would become overcharged; killing them. Equalizers are kinda pricey, but I wanted to keep all the 12V factory electrical completely separate from the predominantly 24V conversion electrical.

Also, I added a 6500W onan emerald iii genset, and the bus now has two new Carrier 13.5K a/c units on the roof. I also painted the roof with Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions' Bus-Kote. Their primer and clear coat were used also. A checkered pattern along the black-to-white roof paint line adds a great visual effect to an otherwise boring paint line. I will post some pics soon.

Had a recent scare with the transmission (seemed to slip to near standstill up a start from stop, steep hill) so I took it to a Stewart & Stevenson couple months ago. It was just low on fluid it appears. The tech said all was operating as designed. The engine has been itself: wimpy on hills. But there is an art to driving a Detroit Diesels and this helps a little. Until recently, standard m.o. for driving was pedal to the floor. Wrong. Let the governor do its job. Still uses oil like a Detroit but oh well. Never use multigrade oils in Detoit 2-cycles. Again something learned recently. It is much happier with straight 40W, not to mention specified by Detroit (DDEC). DDEC specifically forbids use of multigrade oils unless it is extremely cold out. Delo 100 or DDEC-brand 40W. Not Delo 400 if you have the choice.

Had cooling system flushed. Very small amount of oil was in it but have never found coolant in oil (tested). Considering getting tune-up to perhaps help uphills, but a shop said it's not money well-spent. Reading more about 6V71T's over the past several months, such uphill performance is typical of transit buses. So unless I want to increase injector size, probably won't get much improvement.

Rebuilt the subwoofer enclosures; glassed them and braced. Wow what a sound difference, especially with a new amp, and a pair of new subs. Those things pound your skull in. They completely fill the bus with heavy bass.

Took the rig from New Braunfels to El Campo for a prom gig over the weekend. (Thank you referrals.) Pay whatever, and I will take it wherever! First time I was on it myself (ironically) to see firsthand how clients like/dislike it. I don't have CDL so it is driven by others when it is rented out. I went along for the ride to El Campo to keep and eye on the mechanicals and, god forbid, if anything were to breakdown. All went just fine, and if I don't say so myself, looks like the kids had a friggin blast!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #353
Bus Geek

glad to hear all is well, even if all is not quite perfect.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #354
Mini-Skoolie

The battery thing really had me stumped, but the important thing is the batts appear to be very happy now. They are in better shape today than the day I bought this pair at the store. Battery equalizers are now in my vocabulary.

I'm glad it's not perfect! These kinds of buses you can't expect them to be perfect I don't think. Otherwise, they wouldn't be cool.