Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Jokey's bird just begun.

Ok so to begin boring you nice people: excuse the clutter I'm sung the cleared sections for storage.I've begun removing the seats. One of the side windows was broken out. Back glass will need replaced. Used to be able to go to class shop for windshields for older tractor trailers to get safety glass hope its still true.

I removed the hand rail and bulkhead on the passenger side for easier access to load and unload stuff.
Been on my dating site trying to get some nice lady to have breakfast and spend a day with me taking out more seats. It's so hard to bribe good help these days. Got a busted and repaired leg that hurts just limping around on it much less toting these heavy seats. Oh btw some of the bluebirds have an under seat heater or two. Left mine connected for now.

Ok so here's the first inside look less about 6 seats. If you look on left side, dark square is cover for the broken glass its that burgundy bakelight material from Lowe's screwed down to keep the wasps out. I've got some serious scrubbing as I had to cut the tree away from the drovers side roof just to move it. I'm thinking one of those power scrubbers as seen on TV? Ok more to follow enjoy!!

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Glad to see you working on her ! You are right, she could use a pressure wash. Those trees are messy.

They look like pretty good seats- You should have no problem finding homes for them.

Looks like it was an activity bus- do you know the History?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Glad to see you working on her ! You are right, she could use a pressure wash. Those trees are messy.

They look like pretty good seats- You should have no problem finding homes for them.

Looks like it was an activity bus- do you know the History?
Yeah it was originally sold to a local school district as activity bus even got some free books and found the bus logbook and amazingly the operator's handbook which one day I will scan. Too bad bluebird can't produce a pdf service manual they've sent a cd haven't had time to look at it yet got a nice grinder scar on a knuckle and a scar on the other hand from grinding the bolts off for seat removal. Only paid $600 plus $400 for new alternator and $350 for batteries. Once those were installed it crunk right up haven't figured out the air door release sequence gully but I flip the levers till it releases and its ok the subflooring comes out after the seats then once its gone and the outer seat mount rails I can start covering and removing all but a few of the side windows. Ill get a better pic once I get back out there. I'm thinking once I get the shore water out there up and running ill get one of those powered scrubbers they're advertising and a scaffold to reach with and purple stuff it. Before I yank the windows. Got 16 ga. Sheet metal for reskinning the openings and will use square tubing if I need braces.
Yeah a ton of work to be done. An suggestions on insulating the subfloor I want something solid but also with a decent R factor I'm thinking the green Styrofoam. R3 mebbe 2 thick for walls. But its too soft for flooring.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
Yeah it was originally sold to a local school district as activity bus even got some free books and found the bus logbook and amazingly the operator's handbook which one day I will scan. Too bad bluebird can't produce a pdf service manual they've sent a cd haven't had time to look at it yet got a nice grinder scar on a knuckle and a scar on the other hand from grinding the bolts off for seat removal. Only paid $600 plus $400 for new alternator and $350 for batteries. Once those were installed it crunk right up haven't figured out the air door release sequence gully but I flip the levers till it releases and its ok the subflooring comes out after the seats then once its gone and the outer seat mount rails I can start covering and removing all but a few of the side windows. Ill get a better pic once I get back out there. I'm thinking once I get the shore water out there up and running ill get one of those powered scrubbers they're advertising and a scaffold to reach with and purple stuff it. Before I yank the windows. Got 16 ga. Sheet metal for reskinning the openings and will use square tubing if I need braces.
Yeah a ton of work to be done. An suggestions on insulating the subfloor I want something solid but also with a decent R factor I'm thinking the green Styrofoam. R3 mebbe 2 thick for walls. But its too soft for flooring.

Can't find no takers for the seats took 12 to the dump already I may keep a couple to make a passenger seat for the front. I plan to make old school RV tables/beds for kitchen dining area it's to fabricate and serves dual purpose . will have to make one slightly smaller table for poker at the meets. Gotta pay for this crap somehow. You're welcome to come down and get the remainder of the seats I have nowhere and no desire to store them. Once they're on the pickup they're dumpster food.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Bus Nut

If someone had a service manual I'd rent it from them to scan it. I got a HP all in one does pirated dvd labels and then can burn to CD. Willing to pay in drinks. LoL.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Traveling

Quote:
If someone had a service manual I'd rent it from them to scan it. I got a HP all in one does pirated dvd labels and then can burn to CD. Willing to pay in drinks. LoL.

Update your Profile with your bus so people remember what it is and know what you want.

UserCP in the upper left of screen and a left-side menu will pop-up.

Then click: Edit Your Details and add the year, engine, etc.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
nice bus!! awesome seats.. wish i had seats like that
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Still got eight of em come on down and get em. Yours for the taking.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:59 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Ok more conversion progress:
Left: no water at parking site, but after work need to wash hands. Voila! 5 gal water jug from local floor chemical place ( new) with faucet and pour vent.
Middle: No power and no genny. Bought this HF genny 800 running 900 surge $89 . I've had it 8-10 yrs. When I have a power outage I can put it on the porch and run a fan in the summer plus watch dvds on the laptop. Out here it runs charger for the Makita batteries, drop light, and 4-1/2" Makita grinder. It had a bit of trouble with the circular saw but I managed once I gave it a chance to get started then it would cut slowly.
Will run a long time on a gallon of fuel. I've had to clean the jet in the carb a few times, but no other issues.
Right: not many seats left. Also note the sheet metal on right side. That's 4 pieces cut from a single 4 x 10 sheet of 16 ga Sheet metal using circular saw and toothed blade from HF.
More exciting updates to come.
Oh and during seat removal I found the missing face to the CD player it was dark but got it to switch on. Try it next time out there. Smurfing on!!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Traveling

I didn't realize you had no electricity at your work site. That certainly makes it a notch or 2 harder.

That' bus is going to be a cruiser. I see some sheet metal- are you covering some windows?
Old 12-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Sheet metal in picture is window covers.
Yes only leaving a few for corner and passenger diagonal vision. Rest are coming out and 16 ga to be slipped between outer skin and coach framework using original rivet holes. Posted the price and the source it was reasonable. Probably will take 2 sheets. Then paint to seal it probably sealer between the panels as well.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Rusty I hadn't even thought about a skoolie when I bought that lil genny. It's paid for itself though. Now I need to save up and get a solar system big enough for shore power. In a push I could have gone out to my old workplace. I'm on WC from last year's broken femur. Could have grabbed my lol 3/8 impact and die grinder and zizz wheel arbor. Plumb in a quick coupler to the dry tank and run the bus for air.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Hey man. If you post your location or update your profile with a general idea of the state?
There might could be skoolies around to help as needed?
Women can be fun and have good ideas but actually moving on the idea(work) is a rare find.
You hafta get down south to find one of them.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:

If you lay stringers on a 24" center that "soft" insulation would work

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Can't find no takers for the seats took 12 to the dump already I may keep a couple to make a passenger seat for the front. I plan to make old school RV tables/beds for kitchen dining area it's to fabricate and serves dual purpose . will have to make one slightly smaller table for poker at the meets. Gotta pay for this crap somehow. You're welcome to come down and get the remainder of the seats I have nowhere and no desire to store them. Once they're on the pickup they're dumpster food.

Metal in the seat has scrap value

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote