Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #201
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I'm not sure I know the difference between a blind rivet and a solid rivet. The rivet in my picture does have a pin through it, as I was able to punch one out to the left of the rivet pictured (out of frame).

I'll see about the air chisel. My last one bit the dust after only a few hours. (Can you tell I'm a tad frustrated? I knew these were going to be touch, but eeyow....)

BTW, I'd like to be able to put the chair rail back on, at least in a few places. The air chisel won't elongate the hole, will it?

MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #202
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
I'm not sure I know the difference between a blind rivet and a solid rivet. The rivet in my picture does have a pin through it, as I was able to punch one out to the left of the rivet pictured (out of frame).

I'll see about the air chisel. My last one bit the dust after only a few hours. (Can you tell I'm a tad frustrated? I knew these were going to be touch, but eeyow....)

BTW, I'd like to be able to put the chair rail back on, at least in a few places. The air chisel won't elongate the hole, will it?

This video show exactly how to do it https://youtu.be/7NEs9i8Bmoo and it works great. I have a 2HP HF compressor and it didn't quite keep up with the air use but it was close enough that my arms usually got tired before I had to stop for the compressor to pump up.
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #203
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

Blind rivet is like what you posted, a solid rivet would be solid, pushed in the hole and the other smashed flat. Maybe someone here can tell me how they do that from the factory. The method for removing them I described was for Solid rivets. Your blind rivet can use a punch to drive the shaft(mandrel) through before drilling. Many times the rivet is aluminum and the mandrel steel, can play havoc on your drill bits. I haven't tried it, but the air chisel method seems to be the best choice from those who have done it.
You took your chair rail down? In this pic you can see blind rivets at the top, solid rivets and screws.
Attached Thumbnails
20180624_145635.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #204
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snonut View Post
This video show exactly how to do it https://youtu.be/7NEs9i8Bmoo and it works great. I have a 2HP HF compressor and it didn't quite keep up with the air use but it was close enough that my arms usually got tired before I had to stop for the compressor to pump up.

Thank you! I'll give that a go after a trip to harbor freight.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #205

Hi MarkyDee, I've been enjoying your build. I'm curious where you got you bus from? You've mentioned you'd buy from him again but I don't remember seeing a name. Was it a dealer?
Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #206
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DTA360
Marky's Conversion!

What got my huge 1/4 inch solid rivets out the quickest was slotting the rivet head down the middle and then air chisel it off. Very quick and low energy expenditure.
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #207

Newbie to Skoolie

I have a 30’ used school bus, flat face and honestly want/need design help!! Please don’t tell me to check Pinterest, I can’t seem to find decent layouts for my needs! Any advice? Thank you,
Nana Kat
Nana Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #208
Skoolie

Start a thread in the general area and you’ll have more luck.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #209
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Another question:

Saw this insulation in another thread:

https://www.insulation4less.com/Insu...Total-10M.aspx

What does everyone thing about my using it on my ceiling (as well as floor)?

Here's my ceiling again (some sort of foam between steel with fiberglass as the roof...):

The more insulation R value on the ceiling, the better. Remember, heat rises. I provided that link. The price for that insulation isn't that bad.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #210
Bus Nut

First, sorry I haven't posted, but last week was "day camp" for our outdoor "scouting" group and this week is county 4H fair week. We are involved in many activities both weeks.

Update on rivets:

The air chisel method works wonders. I had all the mandrels air hammered out in about an hour (about 150 of them). However, I'm stopped at needing a chisel that's about 1/2" or 3/4" wide to fit inside the chair rail at an angle so I can chisel out the heads (and I haven't found such a beast yet). All of my chisels are over 1" wide and don't fit inside the rails, and I don't have a grinder or belt sander to grind one down. My local Menard's and Home Depot don't carry such small air hammer tools, and I haven't found the correct search terms to find the tools on Amazon yet (but I've only had a go or two on Amazon so far).
Old 07-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #211
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
Hi MarkyDee, I've been enjoying your build. I'm curious where you got you bus from? You've mentioned you'd buy from him again but I don't remember seeing a name. Was it a dealer?

Thank you very much! I've had the bus now over a year and have learned so much, but I don't know even a thimblefull compared to many on this site. I'm a licensed engineer in software and really have done nothing like this in my life. I have a few gearhead friends and between them and the people here I think I can convert this bus! But my wife's and kids' support is the most dear to me.

As for where I got it - I found it on eBay, but not from a dealer like Midwest Transport - it was an individual who was a dealer. The fellow I bought it from had bought it along with another from the City of Houston when they rotated out their buses back in 2014. I didn't mention his name due to privacy reasons (I don't have his permission to post his name, but honestly I never really asked him). He probably wouldn't mind me posting his name, but since I don't know for sure then I don't (as I'd want the same consideration...).

If you would like to contact him, I'd be happy to make introductions. Just PM me and I'll get you in touch.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #212

Check McMaster car for a chisel.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#air-hammer-chisels/=1ds4o43

Bill Kelleher

[QUOTE=
Update on rivets:

The air chisel method works wonders. I had all the mandrels air hammered out in about an hour (about 150 of them). However, I'm stopped at needing a chisel that's about 1/2" or 3/4" wide to fit inside the chair rail at an angle so I can chisel out the heads (and I haven't found such a beast yet). All of my chisels are over 1" wide and don't fit inside the rails, and I don't have a grinder or belt sander to grind one down. My local Menard's and Home Depot don't carry such small air hammer tools, and I haven't found the correct search terms to find the tools on Amazon yet (but I've only had a go or two on Amazon so far).[/QUOTE]
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #213
Bus Nut

Well, one of my friends had a bench grinder, so I ground down one of my chisels. Worked like a champ! First chair rail of about 6 off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Check McMaster car for a chisel.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#air-hammer-chisels/=1ds4o43

Bill Kelleher

Next time I need one I'll do that....
Old 07-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #214
Bus Nut

I also found a bluetooth-to-J1708 adapter that gets my android tablet connected to the computerized bus controllers:

https://bluefire-llc.com/store/6-pin-j1708-adapters

BlueFire also has bluetooth-to-J1939 adapters as well for the newer buses.

For the geeks/nerds out there, BlueFire also has an API for Windows and Xamarin (but, alas, no Linux) should you want to write your own program to access bus information. It doesn't give as low-level access to the communications bus as, say, a NEXIQ, so you won't be doing any drivetrain tuning with it (cadallackid, I'm looking at you...). However, it is a more flexible solution than a ScanGauge.

I've also found that BlueFire support is ready to answer pretty much any question you may have about their adapters - very responsive! The other adapter I tried (CVD XTUNER CVD-6) is made by a Chinese company (BlueFire is here in the U.S.); their software spat out that my bus wasn't supported; and they haven't returned any of my emails in over 2 weeks now.

Below are a few screenshots from my first session with the BlueFire software (my bus was stationary). I haven't set up a "dashboard" in the BlueFire software yet, so these screenshots are of the "informational" screens.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #215
Bus Nut

Sorry, no pics, but I have all the chair rails off now. Whew. 150 or so rivets to air chisel off, down at my shins. My shins have marks where the rivet heads hit them while flying around....

Thanks for the advice for the air hammer and grinding down one of my chisels.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #216
Bus Nut

Quote:
Sorry, no pics, but I have all the chair rails off now. Whew. 150 or so rivets to air chisel off, down at my shins. My shins have marks where the rivet heads hit them while flying around....

Thanks for the advice for the air hammer and grinding down one of my chisels.
I'll be using a drill to drill the head till it separates then punch them out.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #217
Skoolie

Golfer I had the same idea, I hope you have better luck than me. Burned up 2 expensive cobalt bits before I decided to buy an air chisel.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #218
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
I'll be using a drill to drill the head till it separates then punch them out.

Trust me, the air hammer / chisel route is much easier. I tried drilling them out, too. I got pretty good drilling out those that didn't have a mandrel in them. The ones that did simply caused the bit to jump around and it never really bit into the metal.

Punch the mandrels out with the air hammer and a punch, then chisel them off with the air hammer and chisel. Works so much better!
Old 08-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #219
Bus Nut

Well, the front bumper is looking really, really sad. Its starting to come apart (its some sort of heavy, hard rubber or plastic). So much so that I'm wondering if its going to come off while going down the road.

So I called New Flyer parts department to see if they have anything. Nope, no parts, nor do they even have engineering information that I might use to recreate the bumper. It was all purged years ago.

So, guess I find a shop somewhere to fabricate a bumper. Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #220
Bus Nut

Quote:
Well, the front bumper is looking really, really sad. Its starting to come apart (its some sort of heavy, hard rubber or plastic). So much so that I'm wondering if its going to come off while going down the road.

So I called New Flyer parts department to see if they have anything. Nope, no parts, nor do they even have engineering information that I might use to recreate the bumper. It was all purged years ago.

So, guess I find a shop somewhere to fabricate a bumper. Any ideas?

Bump. Just wondering if anyone has an idea. I was thinking of trying my hand with fiberglass-over-wood to see how well I can do that, but if someone has a better idea, (as Ross Perot would say) I'm all ears!

Tags
new flyer viking d45hf