Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
HA!! Love it "sand too soft"!!
Well, if they had used sand glue*, you wouldn't have had that problem either.

*Sand glue is known by some others as concrete. More of a trade name I think.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #362
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Rated Cap: 50k
I'm not suing anyone. I might send an email to Royal Tire to let them know what happened (so they can 'train' their staff to be more careful) but anything more is more than I care to get involved with. I have enough conflict in my life just trying to keep my cats off the kitchen counter - no reason to make it worse.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #363
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
It's the potential of what could have gone wrong in losing the caliper altogether that would set me off.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #364
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what good is a tag axle if it cant hold your bus up lol..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #365
Bus Nut

Coachwork: 1 corbeil 2 Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke MBE906
What a great adventure and story. So would you have been alerted with a low tire pressure system? Say after you experienced the inking feeling and would have discovered the flat at that moment and inflated it , would you have been able to get of the sand?
Do you think an 18000LBS winch would have helped you if you would have found an anchor point?

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #366
Bus Nut

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Rated Cap: 50k
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
What a great adventure and story. So would you have been alerted with a low tire pressure system? Say after you experienced the inking feeling and would have discovered the flat at that moment and inflated it , would you have been able to get of the sand?
Do you think an 18000LBS winch would have helped you if you would have found an anchor point?
Good questions Joe.

The TPS would certainly have alerted me that something was going on (and helped). I do have onboard air and an air compressor so I could have aired it up. However; once I noticed it on my own, it was off the bead so all hope was lost.

I've never used a winch (so I'm guessing) but I think a winch like that would have gotten me out. I wished I had another person to try pulling with my Jeep (I do have a strap). Of course, another person to operate the shovel while I supervised would have been helpful too!!

It was a fairly nice spot and I considered asking the Ranger (NV state rec. area) if I could just purchase that little bit of land and stay there. However; the coach was at a horrible tilt and sleeping that way would not have been comfortable.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #367
Bus Geek

problem with a winch there is what would you winch to? if you carry an anchor you can try amnd get it to set in the ground.. I got myself out of a jeep jam or two with an anchor and a winch.. but it didnt look like you had any stout trees to winch to .. if you have something to winch to and carry a couple snatchblocks you can get yourself out of some seriously deep stuff..

mud is a tough one.. ultimately you dig yourself a tall rut to get out of and then you give yourself a set of slicks to get out with... once your tires are full of mud, they are worthless.. unless you can spin them fast enough to sling the mud off .. you still end up beaching the suspension... yeah ive done it.. buried a wrangler up to the doors.. enough so that I had to go into low range to even spin the tires.. luckily i had an anchor.. luckily I had a winch and a snatchblock. and enough traction to get out.. then having to winch out the anchor from the opposite side without getting stuck again..

I dont know how many tons it takes to make a buried bus move.. maybe you can count on some factor if you can get the tires to spin once the frame is off the ground.. but if its truly sunk then unless your winch can move the whole bus like a tractor-pull sled along the ground it becomes useless...
-Christopher
Old 11-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #368
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
problem with a winch there is what would you winch to? if you carry an anchor you can try amnd get it to set in the ground.. I got myself out of a jeep jam or two with an anchor and a winch.. but it didnt look like you had any stout trees to winch to .. if you have something to winch to and carry a couple snatchblocks you can get yourself out of some seriously deep stuff..

mud is a tough one.. ultimately you dig yourself a tall rut to get out of and then you give yourself a set of slicks to get out with... once your tires are full of mud, they are worthless.. unless you can spin them fast enough to sling the mud off .. you still end up beaching the suspension... yeah ive done it.. buried a wrangler up to the doors.. enough so that I had to go into low range to even spin the tires.. luckily i had an anchor.. luckily I had a winch and a snatchblock. and enough traction to get out.. then having to winch out the anchor from the opposite side without getting stuck again..

I dont know how many tons it takes to make a buried bus move.. maybe you can count on some factor if you can get the tires to spin once the frame is off the ground.. but if its truly sunk then unless your winch can move the whole bus like a tractor-pull sled along the ground it becomes useless...
-Christopher
If you can get any heavy truck to stop, there is your anchor.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #369
Bus Geek

assuming you are within distance of the road.. if i was a semi truck driver.. yeah id probably stop to help out someone stuck.. but I sure wouldnt back my truck off the main road with an 80,000 lb trailer and only 2 or 4 of 18 wheels to drive me back outta there.. with a snatchblock you cut your einch cable length in half to gain the needed torque to move a bus.. even with 150 ft of cable.. that truck has to be within 75 feet..

those big tow rigs have a lot of drive wheels for a reason...

-Christopher

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar