Old 03-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #471
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that rocks!!.. if you wwre driving from one place to another would you have enough alternator power to keep the water hot so once you went to boondock mode you only have to keep water hot and account for any usages of water you'd have? rather than have it turned off then kick it on when you stop? or do you not want any energy usage while driving?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #472
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Rated Cap: 50k
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that rocks!!.. if you wwre driving from one place to another would you have enough alternator power to keep the water hot so once you went to boondock mode you only have to keep water hot and account for any usages of water you'd have? rather than have it turned off then kick it on when you stop? or do you not want any energy usage while driving?
Well... couple things.

The water heater has a built-in heat exchanger so once I connect that to the engine cooling system, I will always have hot water after driving. This is common approach with boats and many motorhomes so nothing new. I'm just nervous about cutting into the bus coolant lines. Thus; scared, lazy, not sure the water heater is in it's final resting place, etc...

The engine alternator output is not currently providing any input to the house electrical system (lithium battery bank). It certainly could be done with the appropriate equipment but so far I haven't needed it so no attention has been spent on it. That said, I have had cursory thoughts about running roof air conditioners (such as the Coleman Mach 8 15k btu) from the 270 amp @ 24 volt engine alternator via an inverter. On paper there is plenty of power available for that but I haven't spent any time to determine if it is a good idea or what the issues might be.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #473
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
actually that could be a great thing... ypu use the engine coolant as heat.. most likely you stop driving at the end of your day.. what a perfect time to cook and take a shower while the engine coolant stays hot and a little pump circulates it into the water heat.. so you end the daylight hours with a full tank of hot water and fully charged batteries from travelling in the daylight and not much turned on using power...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #474
Bus Nut

Tiny thing, I know

Missy has an air tank in each of her wheel wells. They are not supposed to be invisible but neither are they supposed to stand out.

It would seem that the last time Missy was painted white a good bit of over-spray fell on these air tanks. With that white on them, they do kind of stand out. I decided it was time to fix that.

A little scrubbing to get the muck and grime off, a few seconds with the can of flat black spray paint, and the air tanks are back to hiding as they are supposed to.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #475
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I have not yet experimented with leaving the water heater on all day (while powered by battery/solar). This test is certainly of interest as I would guess that getting 11 gallons of water up to temperature is far more work than just keeping it there. At least assuming the outside temperature (around the water heater) is not super cold. I'll get to that test eventually
I noticed today that the water heater switch was on - and I had hot water.

SURPRISE!

I spent a few nights with electric hookups several days ago and must have forgotten to turn the heater off. So, the heater has been running from battery for the last two days. I haven't been watching very closely but had not noticed any 'unusual' power consumption. So, I guess my speculation was reasonably accurate - once up to temperature, the heater doesn't use a lot power to keep the water hot.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #476
Bus Nut

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Looks like you are already getting to "detail" work. Looks good. Did you polish that rim up for the pic?
later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #477
Bus Nut

Ha!! I always keep 'em shining! Actually, I usually have tire covers installed when parked so the wheels tend to stay in pretty good shape.

Sometimes (many times) the big projects just require too much brain power and something simple - like a spray can of paint - sound really enjoyable!!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #478
Bus Nut

Quote:
I noticed today that the water heater switch was on - and I had hot water.

SURPRISE!

I spent a few nights with electric hookups several days ago and must have forgotten to turn the heater off. So, the heater has been running from battery for the last two days. I haven't been watching very closely but had not noticed any 'unusual' power consumption. So, I guess my speculation was reasonably accurate - once up to temperature, the heater doesn't use a lot power to keep the water hot.
Our old trailer had an 11 gallon unit in it. If we turned it on, allowed it to completely heat up, and then shut it off, we still had hot water 3 days later. The temps outside would stay between 50 and 80 degrees for those three days. I think the heater shut off at 120 to 125 degrees.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #479
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Our old trailer had an 11 gallon unit in it. If we turned it on, allowed it to completely heat up, and then shut it off, we still had hot water 3 days later. The temps outside would stay between 50 and 80 degrees for those three days. I think the heater shut off at 120 to 125 degrees.
That sounds like one well insulated water heater! Mine will stay warm for quite a while but not that long... but my overnight temps are cooler.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #480
Bus Nut

Quote:
That sounds like one well insulated water heater! Mine will stay warm for quite a while but not that long... but my overnight temps are cooler.
It had the factory foam insulation. Then the manufacturer wrapped it with a fiberglass blanket backed with coated nylon or vinyl before the cabinets were put in. It was a 1998 or 99 Coleman 14 foot. I don't remember the exact model. It was an odd model because it had a full bathroom instead of the combo with the toilet in the shower. It also had a double sink instead of a single.The settee was small tho and barely made a twin size bed.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar