Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #721
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think I'll stick to the single and 'useless to the gay world because im over 35' scene.. much easier to just work, build busses, and handle my and my business's funds... im guess i'll never know what "married" or Partnered life is.. and from the stories I hear everywhere maybe being old and ugly to others of my same orientation is a blessing..

besides I doubt i'd ever meet anyone who likes to drink expresso as much as I do... and of they understood J1939 id probably ask whats wrong with them...

-Christopher
'J1939' was a good joke - lol

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #722
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think I'll stick to the single and 'useless to the gay world because im over 35' scene.. much easier to just work, build busses, and handle my and my business's funds... im guess i'll never know what "married" or Partnered life is.. and from the stories I hear everywhere maybe being old and ugly to others of my same orientation is a blessing..

besides I doubt i'd ever meet anyone who likes to drink expresso as much as I do... and of they understood J1939 id probably ask whats wrong with them...

-Christopher
I think you're wrong. One day you'll meet the exact right guy for you and he'll be extremely lucky.
I'm old and ugly and I somehow scored ROXY. You owe yourself a bit more credit, bud!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #723
Mini-Skoolie

I sure didn't think warming up this thread would lead to a conversation about marriage and finding your love! But it's interesting to hear all of your stories.

While I may not as old and have less life experience, this is what I can tell you:

You should be happy what a free life you can live. Don't worry about yesterday or tomorrow. You should think about what opportunities you have many others can't. Don't write you will HAVE to work to pay your ex - at least you CAN work!

I myself am a 18-yr-old severely disabled young man. Having to quit from school a few years ago, because the German school system has no place for people who are "special", I hardly have a chance of ever reaching my dream of studying physics at a nice university.
Being highly intelligent with an IQ of over 140 and having a passion for science and technology I am caged in by my physical and psychical disabilities and can never really show my full potential.

Being free and living on the roads in the united states would be a dream for me - but it will probably stay one forever. And you know whats even more frustrating? I can't tell anybody **** about those dreams, because everybody just tells me it's hilarious to think about such, while I haven't left the house for weeks.

Sorry for opening myself so expressively. You probably don't care a **** about this and that is maybe just right. Maybe this will just make you think a bit more positive about your life.
caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #724
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
'J1939' was a good joke - lol
It's lost on me tho it looks like more of his TCM code talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think you're wrong. One day you'll meet the exact right guy for you and he'll be extremely lucky.
I'm old and ugly and I somehow scored ROXY. You owe yourself a bit more credit, bud!
I'm not much into gay guys but Charlie's right, you aren't a bad looking guy. One of my heroes (he's divorced, works at Home Depot, and has zero $hits to give) is older than us and has no problem finding guys. I dunno what the demographics of JAX are but if he's managing, anyone should be able to.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #725
Bus Nut

Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspar. View Post
I sure didn't think warming up this thread would lead to a conversation about marriage and finding your love! But it's interesting to hear all of your stories.

While I may not as old and have less life experience, this is what I can tell you:

You should be happy what a free life you can live. Don't worry about yesterday or tomorrow. You should think about what opportunities you have many others can't. Don't write you will HAVE to work to pay your ex - at least you CAN work!

I myself am a 18-yr-old severely disabled young man. Having to quit from school a few years ago, because the German school system has no place for people who are "special", I hardly have a chance of ever reaching my dream of studying physics at a nice university.
Being highly intelligent with an IQ of over 140 and having a passion for science and technology I am caged in by my physical and psychical disabilities and can never really show my full potential.

Being free and living on the roads in the united states would be a dream for me - but it will probably stay one forever. And you know whats even more frustrating? I can't tell anybody **** about those dreams, because everybody just tells me it's hilarious to think about such, while I haven't left the house for weeks.

Sorry for opening myself so expressively. You probably don't care a **** about this and that is maybe just right. Maybe this will just make you think a bit more positive about your life.
Helen Keller: "I cried because I had no shoes until I met

It would be a shame if the school system in Germany has changed since I went to school there and people with special needs are no longer welcome anywhere. Back then we had "Sonderschulen" (special schools), later "Förderschulen" (special support schools) and in any case you could cross over to the other branches (academic, practical, and vocational) depending on your accomplishments.

Keep in mind that Germany is not the WORLD and certainly not anymore the cradle for top notch physicists it used to be. If Germany cannot deal with you, then find a place that can. You may not even have to move in the age of online universities.

Don't listen what others tell you that you can't do. Decide what is important for you and do it. Never self-disqualify yourself. Make them slam the door shut in your face and if that ever happens, find a backdoor.

"Geht nicht - gibst nicht" (We do not carry "not feasible" in our inventory/vocabulary)
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #726
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:

Wow, you can write clearly and concisely! If only our homeschoolers could do so well (well, except for the profanity). Reimagine yourself as an Issac Asimov or Stephen Hawking (with your own twist)! This post shows you can write and write well.

Do not let anyone steal your dreams. Fight for them with everything you have. We already have too many that "give in", lay down, and turn into doo. Please, please don't do that! We need more people who can think and think well, not fewer.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #727
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
Helen Keller: "I cried because I had no shoes until I met

It would be a shame if the school system in Germany has changed since I went to school there and people with special needs are no longer welcome anywhere. Back then we had "Sonderschulen" (special schools), later "Förderschulen" (special support schools) and in any case you could cross over to the other branches (academic, practical, and vocational) depending on your accomplishments.

Keep in mind that Germany is not the WORLD and certainly not anymore the cradle for top notch physicists it used to be. If Germany cannot deal with you, then find a place that can. You may not even have to move in the age of online universities.

Don't listen what others tell you that you can't do. Decide what is important for you and do it. Never self-disqualify yourself. Make them slam the door shut in your face and if that ever happens, find a backdoor.

"Geht nicht - gibst nicht" (We do not carry "not feasible" in our inventory/vocabulary)

in my 80 years of trying many things, and succeeding at some of them, I learned that if you want to do something, FIRST make the decision that you are going to do it - once that FIRM decision has been made, things start to fall into place as if by magic - there has been many philosophers with more flowery language than mine that have said the same thing using different words, but no matter who said it, it's true - how much you know about your goal makes no difference, you'll learn from experience and by having that goal in your mind, you will often come up with innovative ideas that perhaps no one has thought of before because others relied on what they had learned from someone else and their mind wasn't open enough to see another way to do something - FIRST make the decision
Old 04-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #728
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Maybe this will just make you think a bit more positive about your life.
I haven't read any comments about people looking at their lives/situations negatively. Real world experiences are not always positive and (IMO) talking about them does not make a person negative. What we choose to learn from and do with those experiences has a lot to do with what kind of person we are.

Quote:
Don't listen what others tell you that you can't do. Decide what is important for you and do it.
Right on!!

Quote:
I learned that if you want to do something, FIRST make the decision that you are going to do it - once that FIRM decision has been made, things start to fall into place as if by magic
Exactly right!!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #729
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
FIRST make the decision that you are going to do it - once that FIRM decision has been made, things start to fall into place as if by magic - there has been many philosophers with more flowery language than mine that have said the same thing using different words, but no matter who said it, it's true - how much you know about your goal makes no difference, you'll learn from experience and by having that goal in your mind, you will often come up with innovative ideas that perhaps no one has thought of before because others relied on what they had learned from someone else and their mind wasn't open enough to see another way to do something - FIRST make the decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Wow, you can write clearly and concisely! If only our homeschoolers could do so well (well, except for the profanity). Reimagine yourself as an Issac Asimov or Stephen Hawking (with your own twist)! This post shows you can write and write well.

Do not let anyone steal your dreams. Fight for them with everything you have. We already have too many that "give in", lay down, and turn into doo. Please, please don't do that! We need more people who can think and think well, not fewer.
Wow, that was a response to my post I didn't expect!
Thanks for the warm and positive words from you guys. There seems to be a lot of wisdom lying in your words. I have to say especially MarkyDee's response made me smile, while the other ones made me think, which isn't less valuable.

(Also I quickly wanted to say, to room out any misunderstandings, that I've lived in Germany for my whole life and my whole family is German, it seems like alpine44 maybe understood me wrong.
Unfortunately the school system has changed a lot. The governments are closing special needs schools, because they want to make up more equality for disabled students - while the opposite is happening. Also special needs schools doesn't help students like me, who have their full cognitive potential.)
caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #730
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Wow, that was a response to my post I didn't expect!
Thanks for the warm and positive words from you guys. There seems to be a lot of wisdom lying in your words. I have to say especially MarkyDee's response made me smile, while the other ones made me think, which isn't less valuable.

(Also I quickly wanted to say, to room out any misunderstandings, that I've lived in Germany for my whole life and my whole family is German, it seems like alpine44 maybe understood me wrong.
Unfortunately the school system has changed a lot. The governments are closing special needs schools, because they want to make up more equality for disabled students - while the opposite is happening. Also special needs schools doesn't help students like me, who have their full cognitive potential.)
remember, you have a big advantage over many others, when you realize that half the population is below average intelligence
Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #731
Bus Crazy

Been awhile since my last update but progress is being made.

I decided a while back to get busy on the entryway/staircase.

Missy’s entryway has been fairly “industrial” since her conversion started. Meaning… black and ‘warning yellow’ rubber-like flooring on the stairs, exposed mechanical bits, and generally pretty ugly. Like so - a very old photo...

I decided to spend some time improving this area – purely out of vanity. I know… but this is the first thing a person see’s when they come to visit.

The worst part of the project was removing the old flooring and all the adhesive that was used to hold it down. That took lots of time! Liberal use of "Goo Gone" and elbow grease (scraping).

And eventually the staircase looked like this.

I had a tough time selecting the flooring to use. Several of the different laminate options were purchased and experimented with. Eventually I settled on a "Grey Ash" peel and stick vinyl plank. The peel and stick approach was chosen largely due to the molded fiberglass staircase - that creates a number challenges.

Every stair tread is a different size and shape which means that every one of them is a custom fit. Figuring out a way to get close enough to do some final fitting was kicking my behind. I eventually found these really slick “angulizer” thingies from Amazon. I purchased two of them and put the parts from both together into a single unit. This made it large enough to layout each step. Transferring the rough shape onto the laminate was then pretty easy. This isn't quite as challenging with the vinyl peel and stick as it is the wood clik-n-lok type planks.

All of the fiberglass panels in this area were “puke white” – very nasty. That had to go. The “dash” panels were sanded and painted first – a lighter-dark gray. They turned out pretty nice.

The portions of the staircase that would remain exposed were sanded and painted a darker-dark gray. The gray thing was more about working with the flooring choice than my love for that color.

Then it was a matter of lots of time spent fitting, trimming, and installing.

Flooring on stairs is never an easy project and this one certainly wasn't. However; it turned out reasonably well - not quite as "blended" as I would have liked but far better than it was.

Now to get those wall panels upholstered and re-installed...
Old 08-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #732
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
The worst part of the project was removing the old flooring and all the adhesive that was used to hold it down. That took lots of time! Liberal use of "Goo Gone" and elbow grease (scraping).

Mine is still OEM/bus yard. How much hell did you pay getting the rubber matting off? Once off, I can take care of the glue with fire if need be!! But peeling the rubber off...

Mine is likely glued and is definitely screwed down. I doubt the screws are going to wan to come out. I haven't done anything because it's going to be a PITA I think.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #733
Bus Crazy

Hi Bob - Pulling the old rubber stuff out wasn't too bad. However; I am super strong (and very handsome as well).

It certainly required some persuasion. I used a knife in some places to 'release' the adhesive. Also tried a heat gun in a few spots. Kind of a 'whatever it takes' sorta deal.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #734
Bus Crazy

More progress on Missy's entryway and stairs!

The flooring under/behind/beside the driver seat, pedals, and steering column was left as-is. It is that ugly, industrial looking, hard rubber stuff. Removing that and replacing with something else looked like a BIG project (including removing the drivers seat) and I'm nearing my limit for flooring work this year. Maybe when I get around to replacing that drivers seat with a real captains chair.* I know, I hate to lose that sexy "Las Vegas" fabric… A piece of carefully fit and edged carpet in this area will be my short term solution.

The original wall panel on the side opposite the dash went away a long time ago as it just wouldn't work with the new floor and all the other changes. Fitting a new panel proved to be a challenge, I'm not super happy with the result but as I said, better than before.

With some fancy foam from Amazon, gray faux leather vinyl from Amazon, and spray-on contact cement - obviously also from Amazon - I was off and running.

I was planning to use 1/8" foam like is typically used under upholstery. Instead, I ended up with 1/4" thick foam. I figured that would be ok as foam is pretty… well… foamy. However; what I got is quite firm. So, it doesn't squish as much as I'd hoped and the panel ended up looking kinda 'thick.'

On the dash side of the entryway, there is only a small section that needed upholstered - the rest was painted gray. Similar process with that panel. I'm currently using velcro to hold it in place but that is not going to work long term. Currently looking for a neat way to more permanently attach it - that doesn't include anything visible.* The foam that is too thick is very evident on this panel.* I imagine a Mulligan (do-over) is in the very near future. Maybe using a light brown material instead of gray???

If interested, more details and photos here on my blog.

The whole entryway looks SO MUCH BETTER than they did previously. Most definitely an improvement! There is still a pretty stark contrast between some of the old (brownish dash, puke white panels near the drivers legs, puke white door, Las Vegas upholstery/cloth on the door, etc.) and the new but all of that is on the to-do list.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #735
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Hi Bob - Pulling the old rubber stuff out wasn't too bad. However; I am super strong (and very handsome as well).

It certainly required some persuasion. I used a knife in some places to 'release' the adhesive. Also tried a heat gun in a few spots. Kind of a 'whatever it takes' sorta deal.
All of that and humble too

Stairs look awesome!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #736
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
All of that and humble too