Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #121
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
For the solar power nerds!!

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #122
Bus Crazy

I tried the roof mounted backup video camera idea. I mounted the camera near the front of the bus looking aft. This photo was taken with my phone while driving so is poor quality - sorry about that. It does give you an idea of what is possible with a wide angle camera though. I would not call it "a great solution" but it does seem to be better than nothing. If I had a non-wide angle lens, I'd try it - that would likely work better.

Yes, the escape hatch is open (for ventilation).
Old 06-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #123
Bus Crazy

I spent the bulk of this week in the Twin Cities (MN) area. T'was a nice comfortable week but I understand the temps and humidity are going WAY UP this weekend.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #124
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You've got a well thought out setup. The electrical stuff makes my eyes glaze over, but it's pretty cool too.

Where did you get those huge windshield shades?
Old 06-11-2017, 06:43 AM   #125
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Where did you get those huge windshield shades?
Thanks Robin!

I sell those shades - $300 per set.

Actually, it is just Reflectix that has been cut to fit the windows. I purchased a roll (like this) and it had enough for the windshield and driver side window.

I have a roll of Phifertex (this) to make outside windshield shades but haven't had time to do so yet. The last set I made turned out pretty well (details here). I really like them as you can see out (from the inside) during the day but it still significantly cuts the amount of light/heat.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #126
Bus Geek

I heard reflectix was expensive. Maybe I should stock up on window shades. I'll take two.

I've been using about a half a sheet of rigid styrofoam insulation placed against the inside of the windshield, which works pretty well. I'll sell my designer windshield screens for $300.99, postage included, even though it's a half sheet of $7 insulation.

That fabric material seems very similar to the sun blocking greenhouse fabrics. I've been wondering about putting a sun shade on the outside of that huge windshield to block the sun on those hot days.

I actually looked for large window screens for a while, but they don't seem to exist.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #127
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I heard reflectix was expensive. Maybe I should stock up on window shades. I'll take two.
They are in the mail!!

Quote:
That fabric material seems very similar to the sun blocking greenhouse fabrics. I've been wondering about putting a sun shade on the outside of that huge windshield to block the sun on those hot days.
The one I had did an excellent job at keeping the heat outside. I used magnets to attach it and that worked fairly well. It blew off a few times in very high wind but, for the most part, was solid. The negative is that the N52 magnets are very expensive.

Quote:
I actually looked for large window screens for a while, but they don't seem to exist.
Screen as in keep the bugs out?? If so, I have a roll of bridal gown "veil" material that I am going to use (but haven't yet). It has very small "holes" to keep the smaller bugs out. The issue is that these small holes also restrict airflow. So, it may prove not to be ideal. I don't have a mounting solution yet. For the door, I picked up one of the magnetic closing "curtain" type screens. Again, haven't installed it yet.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #128
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Home Depot sell the solar shade, fiberglass screen material in different light blocking values...and it works. I covered a couple of windows with it here at my studio and it made a huge difference in inside temp. Oh...and yes...it keeps bugs out too. They also have the aluminum framing for it. In fact, I made a couple of screens/frames to fit my '46 before I changed course and went with RV windows. Fit like a glove.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #129
Bus Crazy

My cabinets are "inside"!!!

No, not "installed" yet... But I am working on it - along with some stub walls, plumbing, and the hundred other things that I couldn't do until I had the cabinets.

There are four. An 8' long kitchen sink & base cabinet (mostly drawers). A ceiling height panty (open space is for the microwave), bathroom sink/cabinet, and a ceiling height storage/wardrobe cabinet.

I am really happy with how they turned out and can now start thinking about flooring, countertops, etc...

Old 06-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #130
Bus Geek

It's really starting to come together.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #131
Bus Crazy

It is - exciting times!!

A bit of interesting 'actually measured' data, possibly...

I've had my Samsung residential refrigerator running thru a Kill-A-Watt meter for the last couple months. I've lived in the coach that entire time and temperatures have ranged from spring cool to summer warm/nearly hot. It is far from full but is not empty either - maybe about half full/empty - depending on whether you are a glass is half full or half empty type of person. The energy consumption for 54.3 days has been 84 kW. That averages out to be about 5.12 Ah @ 12VDC.

5Ah was may "hope" so I am pleased.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #132
Bus Geek

That is electrifying news. It sparks our interest. I don't really know what that means. Is that less than an apartment type fridge?

I actually gave up on the idea of carrying a fridge with me. That eliminates a lot of problems right from the start. Plus my bus is technically still a van.

I had this wonderful commercial milk refrigerator that is perfect for home brew kegs as well as normal refrigeration, but apparently the commercial fridges really draw some power not to mention being noisy.

You're doing such a nice job on your coach. Mine resembles an Alaska cabin.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #133
Bus Crazy

It is a 23 cubic foot, four door, counter depth residential refrigerator. Except for lacking a bit of depth, it is a real refrigerator. Here is the Samsung product info.

I am solo and, with the ice and water on the door, I am not opening the doors all that often. That probably helps a lot (conserve energy).

I am a little surprised at the 5Ah average. I have some rewiring to do this weekend and will connect it back up with the Kill-A-Watt connected to get another data point in a few months.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #134
Bus Geek

That is quite a large fridge and that is meager power consumption. Yes I'll testify to no kids making life much simpler is so many ways. Ball and chain visual.

I used an apartment size fridge in my bus for a while but now it's in the shed. It never made it back in here following the insulation last summer and I don't miss it. Previously every time I drove to town the fridge automatically defrosted since it wasn't plugged in during the five or six hour trip. So my fridge is out and the fishing gear moves back in. My garage in the back of the bus turned into a closet over the winter so now I've got to do some paring down again.

It's a pain to get things out of the fridge when it's raining, but it fits my KISS theory better for actually traveling in this bus. I use a cooler for when I buy frozen foods until I get home to use the apartment fridge. Haven't taken any multi-day trips yet.

Yeah, I've got refrigerator envy.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #135
Bus Crazy

That was a mighty old photo of the refrigerator. Here is one of the current state of things. Cabinets are mounted in their final resting places. Obviously, still plenty of work to do!

Old 06-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #136
Bus Crazy

I was a wee bit disappointed this morning when I went to make myself sausage and eggs for breakfast.

I pulled out my NuWave induction cooktop and put it to work. It made noise and acted like normal but produced no heat in the pan.

Turns out that it is working just fine but does not like my modified sign wave inverter.

So, I'll have to do some thinking on this situation.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #137
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is it an induction cooktop and you used the wrong kind of pan?

I use a GoPower true sine wave inverter and it seems to work great for anything ive plugged into it, servers, routers, switches, etc...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #138
Bus Crazy

Sorry, yes - induction. I updated my post.

No, I wish. I've used it numerous times on shore power. Guess I had never tried it with the inverter.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #139
Bus Geek

That's interesting that the inverter and the induction cooktop would affect each other. Based on past conversations about EMF they are supposed to disapate relatively quickly.

I've had my doubts for a long time, but now I'm getting on the EMF bandwagon. I don't want that strong of EMF emitters inside my bus. Yes I've got wifi, food processors, hot water kettles and even heating pads. I never considered the inverter to be a problem previously, but I have always been leery of the induction cooktops.

You know how it goes. Get rid of all the EMF appliances, then I'll probably end up sleeping under major power lines anyway.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #140
Bus Crazy

I've been wondering what went wrong and have concluded that it must be EMF/RF. I remember when I was twenty years old. I knew everything, I could do anything, I was an athletes athlete, a man's man, and was incredibly good looking. I have worked my entire career in the RFID industry and been exposed to lots of RF, used WiFi, bluetooth, and cellular phones for as long as they've been available. Now that I am older, I don't know anything, I can hardly get out of bed in the morning, looking in the mirror absolutely frightens me, and women hold doors open for me. I am sure that EMF/RF is the cause of all that - what else could it be???

So, it is too late for me.

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar