Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #731
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Been awhile since my last update but progress is being made.

I decided a while back to get busy on the entryway/staircase.

Missy’s entryway has been fairly “industrial” since her conversion started. Meaning… black and ‘warning yellow’ rubber-like flooring on the stairs, exposed mechanical bits, and generally pretty ugly. Like so - a very old photo...

I decided to spend some time improving this area – purely out of vanity. I know… but this is the first thing a person see’s when they come to visit.

The worst part of the project was removing the old flooring and all the adhesive that was used to hold it down. That took lots of time! Liberal use of "Goo Gone" and elbow grease (scraping).

And eventually the staircase looked like this.

I had a tough time selecting the flooring to use. Several of the different laminate options were purchased and experimented with. Eventually I settled on a "Grey Ash" peel and stick vinyl plank. The peel and stick approach was chosen largely due to the molded fiberglass staircase - that creates a number challenges.

Every stair tread is a different size and shape which means that every one of them is a custom fit. Figuring out a way to get close enough to do some final fitting was kicking my behind. I eventually found these really slick “angulizer” thingies from Amazon. I purchased two of them and put the parts from both together into a single unit. This made it large enough to layout each step. Transferring the rough shape onto the laminate was then pretty easy. This isn't quite as challenging with the vinyl peel and stick as it is the wood clik-n-lok type planks.

All of the fiberglass panels in this area were “puke white” – very nasty. That had to go. The “dash” panels were sanded and painted first – a lighter-dark gray. They turned out pretty nice.

The portions of the staircase that would remain exposed were sanded and painted a darker-dark gray. The gray thing was more about working with the flooring choice than my love for that color.

Then it was a matter of lots of time spent fitting, trimming, and installing.

Flooring on stairs is never an easy project and this one certainly wasn't. However; it turned out reasonably well - not quite as "blended" as I would have liked but far better than it was.

Now to get those wall panels upholstered and re-installed...
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #732
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
The worst part of the project was removing the old flooring and all the adhesive that was used to hold it down. That took lots of time! Liberal use of "Goo Gone" and elbow grease (scraping).

Mine is still OEM/bus yard. How much hell did you pay getting the rubber matting off? Once off, I can take care of the glue with fire if need be!! But peeling the rubber off...

Mine is likely glued and is definitely screwed down. I doubt the screws are going to wan to come out. I haven't done anything because it's going to be a PITA I think.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #733
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Hi Bob - Pulling the old rubber stuff out wasn't too bad. However; I am super strong (and very handsome as well).

It certainly required some persuasion. I used a knife in some places to 'release' the adhesive. Also tried a heat gun in a few spots. Kind of a 'whatever it takes' sorta deal.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar