Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #301
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Yeah, that was damn nice of him.
seemed to be a small town / country thing.. when we moved from the city to the country, so many things changed.. our cars and trucks were parked outside or in the barn.. every one of them with the keys just hanging in the ignition..

when I would visit home.. i did the same thing...

I had gone home to check on my parents house (they were away) and take dad's GTO to a car cruise-in.. it just seemed normal when I saw a family friend helping a young couple try to fit a Big tube TV into a car trunk.. to say "hey jon, my truck is at the farm.. keys are in it".. I returned back that night after the car show.. thank you note from the couple, truck was full of gas and washed...

not like today and the "entitled" world.. - loaned my brand new Ram to a friend saturday.. got in it sunday morning to go to coffee.. it was empty, scratches on the sides and the inside is all messy.. kid-sneaker prints on my dash.. GRRR!.

-Chrstopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #302
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
not like today and the "entitled" world.. - loaned my brand new Ram to a friend saturday.. got in it sunday morning to go to coffee.. it was empty, scratches on the sides and the inside is all messy.. kid-sneaker prints on my dash.. GRRR!.

-Chrstopher
I dunno if I would wash it but returning it full is a given.

That guy wouldn't be getting it ever again. You gotta know you you are asking as well. If it's an old farm truck, boot prints on the dash won't be noticed. Brand new city slicker truck like yours...
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #303
Bus Geek

Quote:
I dunno if I would wash it but returning it full is a given.

That guy wouldn't be getting it ever again. You gotta know you you are asking as well. If it's an old farm truck, boot prints on the dash won't be noticed. Brand new city slicker truck like yours...
feet on the floor even in my old beater C-10 i had. feet on the dash break the A/C vents.. I know - in your world a beater truck wouldnt even have A/C.. lol..

-Christopher
Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #304
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
No doubt... the concept of taking care of other peoples things (even better than you take care of your own) is another of the (seemingly) lost 'attitudes'. I see it alot when I'm standing talking to people and they lean up against one of my vehicles. But... I'm a picky, cantankerous, old curmudgeon - that's one of the reasons I like to camp as far from "civilization" as I can get.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #305
Bus Geek

Quote:
feet on the floor even in my old beater C-10 i had. feet on the dash break the A/C vents.. I know - in your world a beater truck wouldnt even have A/C.. lol..

-Christopher
You have me and Charlie confused; bumpers and doors are optional but anything I have must have a working AC. I got rid of a pickup just because the AC went out. Well, it was teh AC and computer but still. Since teh AC didn't work, it wasn't worth the $700 or whatever they wanted for a computer.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #306
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
No doubt... the concept of taking care of other peoples things (even better than you take care of your own) is another of the (seemingly) lost 'attitudes'.
That's why I'd never ask Chris to borrow his truck. It would be my very last option. If the beater already has scratches and dings, I'm good. I'm not going to purposely add more but I don't have to pay to get them fixed either (within reason).

My car(s) are a total mess with junk inside them and I still give people a dirty look if they put their feet on the dash. Excuse you!!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #307
Bus Geek

the bus community seems different.. go to a classic car show and people put "do not touch signs" all over their cars.. some even rope them off..
go to a bus rally and the busses are open, keys in the igntions "welcome!" signs on the door.. people walk in, look around, and never touch anything.. people's laptops, ipads, etc are out in the converted ones.. if you sit in a seat no one gets them dirty or such...

nothing gets bothered..

whats funny about my truck is that if the borrower had simply taken a damp paper towel and wiped off the dash id have never known it was kicked by the kid.. however I do know now who DOESNT get my truck again.. the damn things cost way too much to have them torn up.. even if i do lease a new one every couple years.. I kind of want the next person who gets it to have the option of it being a nice clean like-new experience if they so choose.
-Christopher
Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #308
Bus Geek

Quote:
whats funny about my truck is that if the borrower had simply taken a damp paper towel and wiped off the dash id have never known it was kicked by the kid..
-Christopher
There's the problem that JD touched on. The kid would have gotten a cuff to the head and gone and gotten the paper towel himself.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #309
Bus Geek

Quote:
There's the problem that JD touched on. The kid would have gotten a cuff to the head and gone and gotten the paper towel himself.
ahh true! yeah and this guy seems to want to be the kid's best-buddy instead of a best-parent. a trend that is more common lately.. I suppose being almost 49 im "old-fuddy-duddy" who was raised by arguably a jacked up family.. however one thing about my parents is that they did teach us to learn right and wrong and respect.. there was no "best buddy" attitude when it came to respect and how we treated others..
-Christopher
Old 10-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #310
Bus Geek

Autocratic democracy. I heard you; we are NOT stopping for ice cream. Ask again and see what happens.

The kids in the grocery store so make me want to slap their parents. "BUT I WANT IT!!!" That's nice, I don't give a $hit what you want.

When my kids, to this day, say I want... That's good; it builds character. Or go down to the grocery store, tell them who you are and what you want; they will take care of you.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #311
Bus Crazy

I am really getting tired of the oil leak that I think I have mentioned here before (if not, I have here, on my blog).

So, I was once again poking around in an oily engine compartment TRYING to see something-anything!?!? I've done a good bit of reading on the Delco 50DN alternator of late (270 amps @ 24 volts, engine oil lubricated and cooled) and had a couple of ideas. It seems leaks are not uncommon but they are typically around the front oil seal and pulley. That area is dry on my coach. Another possibility is all the bolts that hold the sections together - with gaskets in-between. Finally, one person reported an oil leak when one of the mounting bolts was loose.

So... I put a wrench on all the bolts holding the unit together. Interestingly, most of them were not what I would call snug. I snugged them up (hoping that the gaskets are ok).

Then, I put a wrench on the mounting bolt where it seems all the oil is coming. IT WAS LOOSE!! Argh... I tightened it up. I have a VERY hard time believing that a mounting bolt penetrates the alternator case and runs into the oil 'pan' (whatever). But, it seems this may be the case.

I AM SO HOPEFUL that this leak is fixed. I am VERY tired of having a black and crusty rear end.

I'll know tomorrow - a bit of driving to be done.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #312
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME!!! View Post
I have a VERY hard time believing that an alternator is engine oil lubricated and cooled.
^
|
|

Fixed.

So my alt dies and takes out the engine. That's what I call some good design work!! Give it it's own reservoir and pump if you must make it oil cooled.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #313
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
^
|
|

Fixed.

So my alt dies and takes out the engine. That's what I call some good design work!! Give it it's own reservoir and pump if you must make it oil cooled.
My alternator is cooled and lubricated off engine oil pressure. Has a tiny braided stainless line. So is my air compressor and my injection pump. Low oil pressure alert is easy, but must be heeded. It's kind of like your vascular system- whole thing fails when you chop-off a hand.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #314
Bus Crazy

Given the many millions of miles that these coaches were driven and the cost conscious nature of the industry (being intolerant of fragile components), I'm not willing to say that the use of engine oil was a bad design. The coach designers certainly have far more knowledge and history than I. What I do know is that I don't like oil leaks.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #315
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
My alternator is cooled and lubricated off engine oil pressure. Has a tiny braided stainless line. So is my air compressor and my injection pump. Low oil pressure alert is easy, but must be heeded. It's kind of like your vascular system- whole thing fails when you chop-off a hand.
Still works when it's just a thumb.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #316
Bus Geek

yes there were alternators that were oil cooled and lubricated.. and with bolts going into the crank-case too..

Tecumseh / York Air-conditioner compressors used on a lot of Very old cars and international trucks (up into the 90s).. had at least 2 of the bottom pad mounting bollts that went into the crank-case.. tightening the belt on one of those meant that the oil was under freon pressure when working.. so you loosened it and oil would start to drip out or if you loosened too much the bolt blew out and oil and freon went everywhere.. yeah real Nice design work there..

theres a reason sanden conversion kits were really popular for these cars and trucks
-Christopher
Old 10-24-2017, 02:59 AM   #317

JD, your bus is beautiful!
Compliments.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #318
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byllot View Post
JD, your bus is beautiful!
Compliments.
Thank you!! Very nice to hear!

A photo from this past weekend at a fly-in event on (what was supposed to be) a dry lake bed in northwest Nevada.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #319
Bus Geek

dang that looks awfully mnoist for airplanes and busses!!! great cool scenery!!
-Christopher
Old 10-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #320
Bus Crazy

Quote:
dang that looks awfully mnoist for airplanes and busses!!! great cool scenery!!
No doubt!!

The "dry" lake bed was not as dry as it was supposed to be. It did dry out pretty quick after the overnight rain though.

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar